• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Maybe I can get some help here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Well I have been looking for awhile for some help maybe I can find some answers here...

Okay so my pc is a dell dimension 2400 and I have customized it completly, all except the cpu. It comes with a Intel P4 2.8ghz. I was looking on ebay for a new upgrade. All is good I found a 3.0 (witch I read somewhere is the highest my mobo can handle) and I was just about to buy when I figured "I better take a look at mine make sure they look the same" I bookmarked the page, turned my pc off. I pulled out the heatsink to notice the processer was rubber based or glued onto it, So I pull it off. It looked about the same so I putit back in I got nothing... It would just idle. Wouldnt boot up.

So then I went into my closet got my old HP, witch I belive was a Celeron 2.7 ghz, Somehow it worked in my dell and that is how I am on right now.

My question is, Is my processer broken? Did I damage it? It was pentium 4 2.8, did I waste my money buying a new P4 3.0? Please help me out with something hehe

ty

Level 15
When removing a CPU heatsink, you often need to clean off the thermal paste (using pure acetone) and reapply a fresh coat of it. It is possible that when you reattached the heatsink, the existing thermal paste was old a dried enough that the CPU no longer made sufficient contact with the heatsink.

Anyway, in my opinion, it's not worth the money to upgrade a 2.8GHz P4 processor to a 3.0GHz P4. The speed increase will likely not even be noticeable.

Level 2
Dang, Thanks for the help anyways! Sadly I already purchased the 3.0. I should have made a post before I did anything. lol The 2.8 doesnt work anymore for some reason. It has no glue, the 2.7 i put in has no glue on it either but is still working.

Thanks samuraid

Status
Not open for further replies.