• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Getting a new motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Ok so at the moment I'm still running a very old Dell computer. It's a Dimension 4700 with no upgrades what so ever. I know I very dearly need a new pc but I just can't afford one right now. I'm curious however if I was to buy a newer motherboard would I be able to transfer all my current dell parts from one motherboard to the other? I know I'd have to figure out compatibility but would parts this old work on a new model motherboard? I know it wouldn't be the best option but I'm just curious and probably wouldn't do this, but it would be helpful.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

The thing is, that in order for the upgrade to be worth anything, you'd need a motherboard that is compatible with new parts, ie the latest Intel Sockets or AMD Sockets, DDR3-RAM .. etc etc. By my guess, your RAM is not DDR3, and your processor is hardly latest socket. Therefore you'd have to buy an OLD motherboard for your OLD parts to fit, and then you would be as far as you are now, you wouldn't be able to buy NEW parts and fit them into the new motherboard.

Few parts does probably fit though - I don't know how old your computer is, or its parts. HDDs and ROMs would probably fit, PSU maybe and GPU(s) maybe .. you'd have to investigate on the compatibilities and compare with your parts.

However, I don't understand why you would go for only a motherboard upgrade, as it yield little effect (perhaps some power saving and such). I've also heard DELLs are terrible for upgrading, unless you upgrade via DELL? Which leaves me at the conclusion you'd be better of with a completely new computer.

Level 15
Don't do it, it will disable your OS.

Dell installs a special version of a OS that makes it so it can run only on certain boards. If you put the HDD on a different board, it won't run, but you Can put a different HDD with a different OS into it and run it.

*Note: This is with my experience with Windows 2000, which came with the last Dell I bought. May not apply to XP, but probably does.

If you want a new computer, build one, like a man. I can come up with a parts list if you give a budget (please be over $350 :/, under that and it's annoying)

Level 9
Haha I do have plans to build one but maybe in another year or so. Thanks for the offer though. I originally was going to get the motherboard and upgrade over time eventually ending up with a completely new pc but I know its not a good idea in terms of compadability and upgrading of parts over time so i'll just wait this the rusty old clunker of a pc.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

It's easier to upgrade over time, if you do it all the time. When years pass by, technology becomes more advanced, and compatibility is not something that goes backwards, generally.

Edit: Example - in a session of several months you upgrade all parts except the motherboard and make sure they are of "transitional" technology, ie compatible with both last model of technology and the new generation. Then you upgrade your motherboard to one that has greater support for the newest technology, but still compatible with the parts you installed before the change.. and repeat the process continually. Instead of jumping to new technology every 2-3 years. In which case you'd have to change motherboard to get new technology, and then most likely change everything else too (CPU and RAM at the very least).

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

shiik, Your statement contradicts itself.

hawk, tell me when, I am good at coming up with lists of hardware, price would be nice to give too ^^

No it doesn't? ..

Level 15
Motherboards rarely support previous sockets and implementations

AM2/+/3 is a rare example.

But look at how Intel has gone, 68, 132, Sockets 1;2;3;4;5;6;7, Slot 1, 370, 423, 478, 775, 1366, 1156

By your example you would have to upgrade the CPU and Board at the same time.

Yes I admit Ram and Video Cards usually work with new boards, 423 to 478 DDR being a good example.

PSU's you don't have to upgrade much :/ same with HDD's and CD Drives.

And don't even go for the die shrink, I know no one who went out and bought a C2D 45nm when they had a 65nm, a couple did go to quads though.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Aye, CPU pretty much needs to be upgraded with the motherboard, but other than that - video cards, RAM, sound cards, HDDs (rarely needed), ROMs and PSU are pretty much compatible with a few series of motherboards at a time. Unless you're upgrading vastly and need more power (ie you have the standard a few years back of 450W PSU) you won't have to upgrade the PSU unless it is destroyed, pretty much the same about ROM and HDD. Generally, I guess what you change the most on a gaming computer is the video card(s).

Level 9
Well my video card has held strong for the majority of games that my computer can support anyways, its been more a problem with my RAM but I do plan on upgrading the pc as a whole and having no Dell parts left. I had planned on getting the motherboard, CPU, RAM, Hard Drive, and a new case. Would probably run me roughly around 500$ or so. Depending on where I got it. probably more. Hell Blarg if you'd like you could find me these things that are compadable and give me a price if you don't mind. I have done this before in the past bunching parts from Newegg.com together but still haven't really started working on the insides of computers yet to fully understand building one.

Level 15

Guess what, have a chart:
____AMD________________INTEL
Athlon 2 X4 620_____=__Core 2 Quad Q6600/Q82-400
Phenom 2 X4 940/5__=__Core 2 Quad Q9400/Q9505
Phenom 2 X4 955 BE_=__Core 2 Quad Q9550
Phenom 2 X4 965 BE_=__Core 2 Quad Q9650

Now, click on them and look at the prices.

The only place Intel actually priced the processor correctly is the i5, but a Phenom 2 X4 965 for the same price can equal that with a 200 mhz O/C, which is extremely easy.

Note: the Q6600 is no longer sold, but the last price it did sell for was $200, 6 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.