• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Maximum Locations in SCMDraft 2? New Limitations Pushed in Brood War Editors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello Everyone,

I am making a map using SCMDraft 2 to play in the Remastered Version of SC Brood War. However, I am aware that there were limitations with the engine before the new updates. After a long hiatus from SC, I have decided to take it up again. However, there are a few questions that i have concerning 3rd-Party editors such as SCM Draft 2.

If I recall correctly, there was a maximum number of Locations (set around 255?) a map can have. Given the scale of my current project, I need to know if the editor can exceed that number in the updated version of Brood War. Although Remastered is coming out tomorrow, I have heard that the map editor will not come out until much later so as of now, I am just using SCMDraft. I would also like to know other limitations with the SCMDraft2 Editor such as unit caps, player units, etc. Please let me know if you have knowledge over this subject.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
All limitations would be dependant on how the map format stores such things. For example in WC3 one is still limited to using at most 16 tile types because it only allocates 4 bits (16 values) to tile types. StarCraft might have such a limitation allocating only 8 bits to location identifiers, hence a limit of 255.

Level 25
"Suicidal Insanity has officially resumed working on SCMDraft, so there will be a new version in the foreseeable future with improved UI, the ability to show terrain flag overlays (for things like terrain level, walkability, vision blocking properties etc.) and possibly some kind of pathfinding prediction or simulation."
ScmDraft 2 - Liquipedia StarCraft Brood War Wiki

So I guess poke at him and see if he knows the answer.
But like DSG says, I would suspect the limit is 255.

Status
Not open for further replies.