• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Max Map limit for Campaigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello all,

Apologies if this is not right place to post this, was not sure.

I have been building an epic sized campaign with over 100 maps so far in an attempt to build a huge RPG style campaign. Unfortunately, what I long feared when I started this venture about a year ago, I capped the amount of maps I can upload it would seem (could not find at the time if there was a cap or not). I can continue adding maps, but I cannot add anymore map buttons for the maps. I'd like, if possible, a satisfactory means of either: glitching the editor to add 128+ maps, a way to merge future maps within another campaign with my original campaign, a way to turn off buttons for maps that the player is not currently using (so I can use maps with no buttons), or a speedy transition from one campaign to the next via a particular map transition (which I guess kind of goes with merging two campaigns). Or any other ideas... I'm opened to whatever, though I'm not sure how many people have had this same problem before.

What I'd like to be able to do is move from a map in one campaign to the next without any real difference in transition from a map from the same campaign (don't want to get sent back to campaign screen every time I change levels). I realize this is probably asking a lot, but after so much work I am a little desperate to get this thing working. Thanks!

Level 8
You could probably use a lobby map to transit to any of your missions.
I saw this in a campaign about scarlet crusade which name I don't remember, pretty cool decorated and impressively scripted to act like a person walking through his camp. I don't remember for it to have the possibility to choose previous missions, but what stops you from implementing that?

E: And if you decompose BJ functions used to show the "you win"/"you lose" dialog message with the "to the next map" option that never works, you will find API to load next map seamlessly aside from victory screen - the way it works with original campaigns.

Level 3
You could probably use a lobby map to transit to any of your missions.
I saw this in a campaign about scarlet crusade which name I don't remember, pretty cool decorated and impressively scripted to act like a person walking through his camp. I don't remember for it to have the possibility to choose previous missions, but what stops you from implementing that?

E: And if you decompose BJ functions used to show the "you win"/"you lose" dialog message with the "to the next map" option that never works, you will find API to load next map seamlessly aside from victory screen - the way it works with original campaigns.

I had that same idea actually, I made a new campaign with other half of my maps on it that is capable of sending the hero to whatever map he was suppose to go to when he transitions from a map on 1 campaign to another. What bugs me though is I'm afraid I have no idea how to use these Game - triggers so that I can set campaign screen to other campaign and show its button when I get booted from 1 campaign.

What i have right now is: unit enters region to a map set in a different campaign. The integer for the map is saved in game cache along with the hero. Hero is removed, and player is kicked out of the campaign and sent back to the campaign screen. Player can then go to the "lobby" map in the other campaign and choose between a dialogue to either a) start new game (deleting all game cache data) or b) continue game (sending player to whichever map he was suppose to go to originally based on maps integer value).

If I had to settle for that I'd be ok... but now I'd at least like to make it so that I can maybe set campaign screen when I get booted out to the respective campaign, but i seem to only have options in triggers to make blizzard campaigns/buttons show next. It would be nice if for example, I enter into a different campaign map and am able to be moved directly to my new campaign with a button showing for the map I was suppose to land on (with all other buttons besides it and lobby turned off)... if that makes sense.

Level 8
Hm, if I recall correctly, the first time you click any of original campaigns you're immediately set into its first mission or cinematics or whatever. But only the first time you enter the campaign, which probably means that there's no game cache yet.
I wonder if that could be used to achieve the absence of second campaign's screen in your case.

E: but, if I understood you correctly, you need second campaign only to enable user to access every mission of your campaign. And the only bottleneck was campaign screen not displaying enough of them. So you don't need it, if you have lobby to access each mission, and thus can remove all the troubles with switching between different campaigns?

Level 3
Hey Trokkin,
Sorry I think I might not have explained it well enough. I had only 1 lobby map (the very 1st map in my campaigns and the only map in which the button is made visible from the start). My problem was not that I had too many buttons... visible 1s at least (I just had the 1), but that i actually reached the cap in the campaign editor for how many buttons you can make... turns out you can add 128+ maps, but blizz only let's you make 128 buttons for them. So ultimately, you can only have 128 usable maps in a campaign. Both my campaigns have just the 1 lobby button made visible.

The trick with the campaigns I'm making is that, the game cache is only cleared if I choose to start a new game in the lobby map, but if I want to move my character from 1 campaign to another, I have to preserve the game cache and make triggers to access it from both campaign lobbies (otherwise I'd lose all data jumping back and forth between campaigns)

Also, and I'm not sure about this, but I think that what you described has to do with a file programmed into drive by blizz which recognizes a new profile and idk if it has to do with cache per say, but you do still have to go press button in the RoC human campaign to make it show the video of king Terenas telling Medivh to go away in the Lordaeron throne room. At least I thought you did... been forever sense I've done that. Though you might be right, but I have no idea how Blizz did that though, but you never opened a map so could it have really been done via triggers?

Anyway I gotta somehow make the transition from 1 campaign to the next more smooth, instead of getting kicked out of the game and sent to the custom campaigns screen which is where I'm at now unfortunately:/

Level 8
Do you mean 128 is the limit for the buttons that are visible to player at main campaign screen? You made a lobby to appear first, but then show other maps aside from it? If so, then it's I who was not clear. I meant that you can make lobby the only map accessible from campaign screen, and then make transitions from it to every map in campaign, somewhat akin to how it happens in rexxar campaign. Like, it has only 3 accessible maps, but much more small ones that you can travel to from main ones.

Level 3
I mean that, in the campaign editor I cannot make more buttons for my maps, which I need to play them even if they aren't ever made visible. All my campaigns only have the 1 lobby button made visible. I never show other buttons at any point. When you add a new map into a campaign you have to make a button for it in order for it to work, visible or invisible. I have hit the cap of how many buttons I can make in the editor, not the campaign screen. When I add maps to editor, they stay blue in text because they dont have buttons made for them and cannot be accessed, and the editor wont allow me to make anymore.

Level 8
Hi, I'm also building an epic sized campaign (link in the sig btw :)). While I haven't reached the map limit yet, I also had fears that it would happen eventually.

I have a question though, do the maps really need to have a button assigned for them to work? I'm asking this because in my case it's not. The maps I put in my campaign can be played even if they don't have buttons assigned to them, that's as long as there's a previous map (a lobby map in your case) that sets it as the next level during tansition. You should see the blue font to its name when there's no button assigned, but it turns to black once the lobby map calls it. Granted, I'm just saying this because I haven't reached the limit yet and you might be correct though.

Level 3
Hi Jamir,

I believe the buttons are necessary, as I cant access my blue text maps with map transitions (it just gets confused and sends me back to campaign screen). You said you have your system so that it sets the next level correct? Is your system linear (as in you got to level 1, then 2, then 3, etc.)? My map is using transitions so that you can enter a region and then be instantly ported to the next map and vise versa without any new buttons showing in the campaign screen.

Oh, and GL on your campaign. I had similar worries when I started, but could not find any answers on the hive. I believe it to be 128 cause that's where it stopped me so if you want to avoid my situation I'd advise you to try and pace your progression to fit into 128 maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.