• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mario Kart 8: Drifting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Drifting in Mario Kart 8 is a bit more complex than in Mario Kart Wii. For one, there are no inside turns for bikes to make life easy, thus bikes are no longer op (/sad face).

To initiate and hold a drift, hold hop.

The standard drift is just hop + left/right direction. This will begin drifting in the target direction. However, before drifting, the character will initially move in the opposite direction. If you were going to drift right, it'd move left, then right. This depends on the handling stat on the vehicle. This is extremely useful to move sideways on vehicles with poor handling. Rather than a turn, the vehicle can just move sideways over a winding road. It looks as funky as it sounds, lmao.

If you initiate a drift (turning right for example), then moving in the opposite direction will do a soft drift, meaning that you'll just slowly rotate around a point (keeping your character in check). This can pretty much move poor vehicles sideways, which is awesome, and a bit op.

These are the simple mechanics. Beyond this are slightly more complex things.

When initiating a drift, a sharp drift can be achieved by hopping, then turning, then opposite turning, then turning again, all in quick succession. This will prevent the character from initially moving sideways and just initiate a very sharp turn. It will also start up a mini-boost more quickly. This mechanic isn't obvious.

After drifting, a mini-boost will occur on release. The mini-boost time depends on how long the tires are on the ground. Hopping time? Yes. Hopping will double the time of the boost.

When going uphill on regular terrain (not anti-gravity), the vehicle will move more slowly. Hopping helps.

This is what I know of drifting so far from doing HOURS and HOURS of time trials and watching the extreme players play and trying to figure out how they are doing what they are doing and then doing it on accident ;D.

One useful thing you can do with hopping is instantly turn. I watched one extreme player drift along a long, long curved wall. Every time they had a turbo, they'd hop along the wall (just rotating the character around so that it wouldn't leave the side of the wall or bump into the wall) (this also makes the boost last two times longer) and then initiate another drift. It was madness O_O. When they wanted to go from one wall to another (path snaked), they'd hop across to the other side (hop right, hop left, hop left, hop right, hop left, hop left, etc, etc, then drift). That player had some extreme skill.

Level 15
I was a fan of the simple drifting style in Double Dash and also Mario Kart DS (which I believe is the best mario kart game to date).

Level 31
The thing I can't figure out is how to immediately start drifting when landing after a big jump.

edit
Solved

Regular Drift: just regular turn
Spin Drift: turn, op, turn
Soft Drift: 45 degree turn

The soft drift will not move sideways and will charge at the same rate as the others o_O

I just beat my score by 15 seconds using it, lmao

Soft drift is what separates the good players from the meh players, that and fire hopping

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If u just try a constant drift, u'll fly off the road
If you see a kart in space, that's probably me having drifted off the side... again...

The biggest problem with drifting is the damn vertical split screen multiplayer. When playing I cannot see when the corner I am on ends so I often under/over drift corners which is disastrous in Rainbow Road.

The corner in particular is the final one just before the finish line. With my very heavy weight bike combo it is virtually impossible to pivot drift around the epicentre of the curve (maybe that sharp drift would work? Need to test it). The result is within the tiny angle of view they give you in multiplayer all I can see is railings and when they stop it is too late prevent me from shooting over the left edge. I guess this is a place to practise more than ever, eventually I should be able to drive it blind.

I honestly have no clue why so many people said Rainbow Road was too easy in MK8.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The problem is not seeing what comes ahead not actually driving it. They literally reduce your field of view by 50% in multiplayer split screen. In MK WII they reduced your distance view a fraction which made little difference as you could still corner with full view.

Level 31
Watch ghost time trials on leaderboards. Those are the paths I'm using. Those two have the only paths tthat I can't follow atm

38 second lap time on road's turnpike without using any turbo. That's with lots of mistakes :(

The road is essentially the space between the white lines and the railing. Much harder than rainbow road

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You get 10 almost immediately
Until the AI decides they do not like that and spam you with everything they have.

I guess while you are in first it is not really a problem but if you ever drop behind you can find yourself going from second to twelfth in less time than you can say "wtf".

Sure in time trials everything is easy, but then again the people at top probably run the track 50 times a day to get there (not possible for most).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Actually time trials rly help. I find after lots of practice that I'm staying farther and farther ahead of the ai
In theory that is not possible. The AI Is programmed to boomerang so they get a huge speed bonus. This is best shown in coop mode GP where if one player is first (far a head) and the other is mid pack you can literally see this going on.

I was Player 2 and just learning the controls while Player 1 was far ahead of the AI. Along comes Section 2 and 3 and the AI whizzes past me. Faster character/vehicle? Maybe a Golden Mushroom? Did I mentioned I was in star mode at the time using Bowser with 10 coins and this guy was baby Mario (slow)?

When the AI is playing catch-up they literally run permanently at super star speed and can turn a half-lap lead into a neck in neck finish in no time at all. Need I say I finished 8th because all the AI in front of me were impossibly fast with slow characters like baby Mario greatly topping my max speed.

In 150 CC (with hard AI) they really show you no mercy. Here are my observations so far.

Some stages give the boomerang AI problems, allowing you to build a huge lead with them never attempting to catch up.
The first race is always easiest. It appears the game has not decided who will be your "rival" so the amount of boomeranging is throttled.
The AI boomerang thresholds appear related to the coins you own. With few coins your "rival" will always out speed you and run off far ahead before slowing. With 10 coins it appears they struggle to overtake you. Yes coins make you faster but speed does not mater when the AI will literally out speed you if they choose.
The AI hates you. They do not care if they do not come in first, they only care if you come in last. All of them in front of you throw items back at you and all those behind you throw items forward at you. Even if you are stationary they will still throw at you just to send you further behind.
The AI has tool assisted aiming. It will effortlessly fire green shells at walls to hit you from the side or fire them back straight at you.

Level 31
In theory that is not possible. The AI Is programmed to boomerang so they get a huge speed bonus. This is best shown in coop mode GP where if one player is first (far a head) and the other is mid pack you can literally see this going on.

I was Player 2 and just learning the controls while Player 1 was far ahead of the AI. Along comes Section 2 and 3 and the AI whizzes past me. Faster character/vehicle? Maybe a Golden Mushroom? Did I mentioned I was in star mode at the time using Bowser with 10 coins and this guy was baby Mario (slow)?

When the AI is playing catch-up they literally run permanently at super star speed and can turn a half-lap lead into a neck in neck finish in no time at all. Need I say I finished 8th because all the AI in front of me were impossibly fast with slow characters like baby Mario greatly topping my max speed.

In 150 CC (with hard AI) they really show you no mercy. Here are my observations so far.

Some stages give the boomerang AI problems, allowing you to build a huge lead with them never attempting to catch up.
The first race is always easiest. It appears the game has not decided who will be your "rival" so the amount of boomeranging is throttled.
The AI boomerang thresholds appear related to the coins you own. With few coins your "rival" will always out speed you and run off far ahead before slowing. With 10 coins it appears they struggle to overtake you. Yes coins make you faster but speed does not mater when the AI will literally out speed you if they choose.
The AI hates you. They do not care if they do not come in first, they only care if you come in last. All of them in front of you throw items back at you and all those behind you throw items forward at you. Even if you are stationary they will still throw at you just to send you further behind.
The AI has tool assisted aiming. It will effortlessly fire green shells at walls to hit you from the side or fire them back straight at you.

I can finish an entire grand prix with nobody in sight behind me at the finish line. I've sometimes been hit by 3 to 4 spiked shells and the ai still couldn't't catch up.

Even when the ai is in star mode, I outrun them by a lot, lol. This is the power of racing really well. 0 coins or 10 coins, it doesn't matter, I still overtake the rival if I'm not in first and they can't keep up :). Time trials rly do help, try them for yourself.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Even when the ai is in star mode, I outrun them by a lot, lol. This is the power of racing really well. 0 coins or 10 coins, it doesn't matter, I still overtake the rival if I'm not in first and they can't keep up :). Time trials rly do help, try them for yourself.
I am telling you that it is impossible to out speed them if the AI wants. All the super driving skills in the world cannot help you when Baby Mario driving normally is faster than a fast character in super star mode.

I suspect most importantly is coins. Apparently their speed bonus is minor but I cannot help shake the feeling that getting max coins causes the AI to boomerang less.

It could also be that techniques like hopping and drifting mess out the AI which would explain some of the above (they do not boomerang driving skill or something stupid). However if the AI suddenly decides it is going first there is no driving skill in the world that can stop them from being there as they can literally close a half track lead in 15 seconds.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I want Wii u so bad D: just for ssb and Mario kart it's worth it

do you know if it can run bluray?

Status
Not open for further replies.