• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[General] Map size Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't rely on it much as it can only do so much.
It all depends on the content in your map as it is going to be different for all maps on how much yours can be optimized.

If you are planning on having such a large filesized map and are going to be sure that it is going to be ~10 MBs then try optimizing it with the imports that you want.
If you don't get the result you want and if you have anything that you can reduce the quality of any content(textures, music, etc.) in your map to preserve enough space or try using the 'New Buffer Size' option in Vexorians Map Optimizer. I'm not entirely sure how or even if it works although might just do what I suggest yourself.

Otherwise why would you be so sure about it being about 10MBs anyway?

Level 21
just curious cuz atm its 5mb and I plan on adding a quite a bit more im maybe half way done the map atm so just checking on how far I can go

There's also the option of using local files. I would make it so that first there's many hours of content in the map(maybe as much as possible) and then when you run out of space you will probably have dedicated players that are willing to download extra just to keep playing further.

Level 21
how would that work exactly like unit enters x and load map x saving characters or w.e?

Simply put the model path to something like "Local/Model.mdl"
If the model is in a folder inside the WC3 folder and it is named "Model" then it will work.

What if someone doesn't have it? - They simply won't see it. In most cases it won't desync for them.
When does it desync? Whenever the model itself is used for getting some data(unit height on bridges).

If I remember correctly, ardent heroes was about 14 MB uncompressed and it went down to about 7 MB after compressions.

Just make sure you:
  • Use MDX squisher on all imported models.
  • Reduce the quality of textures that take up a lot of space.
  • Run the optimizer.
  • Compress or delete as many sound files as possible.

Bear in mind that I didn't have much code in the map at that point. So you can compress it down quite a bit.

Level 16
Yes, like PurgeandFire111 said, you have to compress the imports in your map to get the file size down.

A map optimizer usually decreases the file size of a map by deleting unneccicary and/or redundant code. It will not decrease the size of the imports of the map. Since your map is only roughly 20-400KB in size without imports (depending on map size and amount of triggers), an optimizer will only decrease the file size of that code.

To greatly decrease the size of the map, use compression methods on those large imported files such as models, textures and music.

Status
Not open for further replies.