• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
I apologise upfront for the crappy title

Basically a thread where users can recommend interesting but less well known maps.
Preferably give reasons for your recommendation.

Not saying this is a suggestion box for the next fun-map evening, but it definitely could be. :p

Personal List

(1) Laser Dragon Defense
by Panto
Find it here
A top-down shooter in a similar vein to many browser flash titles.
You control a dragon and shoot lasers at foes. Map has weapon types, power-ups, mercenaries and boss-fights among others things.

Personally, Ive always liked varied and interesting content built up and around a simple base. This map is that in a nutshell. No-matter how many special skills and enemy types it throws into the mix, the core elements of the top-down shooter remain relevant and don't take a backseat to any of other features.

TLDR: A single player top-down shooter with dragons. Well polished and suitably comical.

(6) Warlords
by Captain Griffen
Find it here
A Zone Control-esque map where different factions battle to control a headless nation. To say this is simply an altered melee or an RTS-inspired map would probably do it a disservice.

Warlords remains memorable for me because of its asymmetry between the factions and how it adds context to the differences between them.
For example, the barbarians start off in a corner and are basically trying to "break in" to the rest of the map. The warlords are vying for control of towns and also trying to screw the barbarians and each other over.

While it would be easy to simply give a description of what each player needs to do, Warlords is one of the few maps that adds a thematic/plot reason behind the victory conditions and playstyles of its varied factions.

TLDR: If I were to sum up Warlords, it reminds me most of a campaign mission with a light touch of political simulation/grand strategy on the side.

Space Reserved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.