• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map protection tools needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I am creating my first map and i would like to protect it from hackers.
I know of some map protection programs but there are easy ways to hack trought them.
If anyone knows of good map protection tools and would like to share a link and maybe a short explanation of what it does i would be very thankful.

Level 5
Frankly, I wouldn't bother with protecting your map. Reasons being...

Most battle.net noobs want to cheat and only need to extract the script file, edit it and replace it in the MPQ archive. Unfortunately there are plenty of tutorials around on how to do this. Even ready made packages.

Most of the times noobs don't know how to handle protected maps, but there are those who can and they'll upload an unprotected version of the map. There are even sites where those noobs can make requests...

You simply can't protect your map like the way you can protect software with packers, code obfuscation, anti debugging stuff, encryption, etc. (and even that is breakable over time). Really I wouldn't bother.

Let those pathetic noobs out there cheat or do whatever they want with your map. Why care? Really it's not worth it. People who do actually want to play your map and want a challenge won't cheat. Another benefit is that beginning map makers can learn from your map if you leave it unprotected.

Level 12
I thought of this pretty recently when I was overveiwing a persons code in JASS

You could always seriously f*ck up your code by changing all of the global variables into words that are non-sensical (like, CastingUnit to ckgj)

Lucky for us, WCIII's WE automatically updates global variables, so it could take a small amount of time

I really wouldn't do that until you've completed your map, and still make an extra copy just incase you can't understand it

The best part, it wouldn't be protected, and somebody who truly wants to learn from your code could still look at it (although it would be painful, still do-able)

Level 3
What i dont want is people hacking into my map and creating a buggy version of their own and make it look like its a newer version of my map.
It happends so many times to so many maps and i dont want it to happend to my map.
So changing the name of global variables wont help because usually what they do is change fields in the object editor. No one knows about some good map protectection program or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.