1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Map Archive, show me the numbers

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by ZombieLordzero, Oct 31, 2005.

1. ZombieLordzero

ZombieLordzero

Resources:
    Resources:
    ok, this idea hit me when looking into how servers work:

count the number of page generation requests for any map/map grouping, count the number of page generations for maps/map groupings, and adverage time to generate a map/map grouping page.

Compile a list over a 24-hour period, once every hour like this, and if page generations are less than page requests, this might just be the problem that pops up every so often, but never/rarely for the admins/mods

if this is the case, a fix would be to reduce the time needed to generate each page (if possible, kinda doubt it with several gigs of maps on the servers) or look into how the results from a map page generation request searched the database to generate its results, and see if the code could be improved without comprimizing its stability/accuracy (i wish i knew how to do this, no coding experiance)

2. oz02

oz02

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    How about forget about doing that, and just rewriting this site from scratch and switching to a service with higher banwith? Besides for the HTML itself being written horribly (I'd hate to look at the php) it seems that this site has outgrown its server.

3. ZombieLordzero

ZombieLordzero

Resources:
    Resources:
    a re-write isnt nessesary (although it might help) but all you need is a script to count those things for you, and dump all the info into a text file every hour or so.

question: does this site have a web-master or anyone who knows the html code? or when did that person leave?

4. oz02

oz02

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You ever look at the HTML very closely? It's horrible. So many extra things that do absolutely nothing.

Darky was the one who amde and deals with the php and HTML of the site, but unfortunately he's kind of inactive. I know HTML but I don't have the power to do any of that stuff.

5. ZombieLordzero

ZombieLordzero

Resources:
    Resources:
    i guess the thing to do would be to ask darky to give permission to clean up the code, with an option for darky to revert back if something major gets screwed up...) and before making any changes, a master backup should be made, along with incremental backups everytime speed increases without adding any bugs or decreasing reliability. a hard-save of the code every hour or so that work is being done should give a decent recovery point if a change breaks something critical for an easy revert and compare.

edit:

after thinking about it a bit, it might be better to ask darky to take a look at the map section as a whole : the traffic per hour, time to generate each page, and number of failed page generations (a request for a page generation that timed out before it was sent) and see if there was anything he could do to streamline/improve the process