1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Making it so a unit can attack thru Fog of War

Discussion in 'StarCraft II Modding' started by Sgt. Johnson, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Sgt. Johnson

Sgt. Johnson

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Another thing I'm needing for my Supcom 2 Map, basically what I need is for a Long range artillery unit to be able to attack through the fog of war.

In Supcom 2 units are able to attack other units/structures through Fog of War as long as they have a radar/intel showing that a unit/structure is there. However in the case of structures you cannot tell if the structure is alive or dead when attacking it unless you gain vision of the area. The same thing already kinda happens in that you can see an enemies buildings after exploring the area in the Fog of War but they will still show up even when dead until you see the area again. I need my artillery unit to be able to hit the buildings showing up through the fog of war.

+ Rep if anyone can help figure out how to do this.

2. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    If you kill a building simply reveal the area of it so it dissapears. You need not reveal anything else, just the building so it is removed as attackable. Yes this does not give the ghost buildings of Supreme commanders 1 and 2 but it is good enough.

3. Sgt. Johnson

Sgt. Johnson

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The ghost building isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

Here's a better example of what I need, say your opponent builds a base nearby, you find the base with a scout, now you can see the buildings and stuff still through the fog of war and your artillery units are able to attack those buildings.

That is what I need to be able to do, I tried messing with the target filters such as changing the Visible filter to allowed instead of required but that didn't do it. Atm the artillery units still require vision of a target in order to engage it, I need them to be able to hit any target (other than regular units even if they are hidden by the fog of war, as long as the player has seen the structure before.)

EDIT

Below is a thumbnail to give a visual of what I need to have happen, the green dots represent my artillery units. They need to be able to attack the red dots which represent an enemy base that I found earlier on. I do not have actual vision from a unit of the base but my Artillery can attack the base as if I did (However I would not know if a structure is dead or not unless I scout the base again, normal fog of war rule.) This would simulate the effect of how radar effects artillery in Supcom 1 & 2.
    [​IMG]

PS. Also if you know of a way to lessen the Artillery's accuracy as in the missile not always hitting the exact spot and might hit a ways off of it's intended target, that would help too.

4. Sgt. Johnson

Sgt. Johnson

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    *bump* Anyone figure a solution to this yet?

5. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Try just making an ability that would be able to target areas covered by fog of war, make it similar to attack ground, and then make it disable weapons while it is being used.

6. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    try to fill a check in the Weapon - Options
    continuous scan

and for the target filters

try to put required on hidden
    and allowed for visible

7. Sgt. Johnson

Sgt. Johnson

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Don't think that worked when I tried it, but maybe I'll try tomorrow. Not much free time with my recent new job but I'll let ya know when I try

8. Legacyspy

Legacyspy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Can you do an attack ground with an AoE?

9. Gallin

Gallin

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:

Doesnt that make more sense for artillery anyway? Usally artillery doesnt attack unless ordered to so you dont want it just setting up and attacking without orders

10. Sgt. Johnson

Sgt. Johnson

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    In a normal rts yes... But this is for my Supreme Commander style map, in that game artillery is used to assault bases from afar, and to overwhelm shields your opponent may have protecting their defenses. Thus I need them to be able to attack structures that are fogged but still visible in a way, if you get what I mean.

If you look at the pic above, you'll notice I kinda fogged out the enemy base, I have no vision of it. The artillery needs to be able to attack the enemy buildings even though they are fogged. You would still however have to order them to change targets and such since you won't know if the building has been destroyed or not.