• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Making a Maze

Level 7
Hi and welcome to my Maze-Tutorial. In this tutorial you will learn how to make a succesfull maze. Of course you don't learn all triggers you could use in it, but I will show you the basics of it...

Content:
1. What's a Maze?
2. Making the terrain
3. Triggers
3.1 Off-Path dying-trigger
3.2 Patroling-trigger
3.3 Shooting-trigger
3.4 Die by touching enemys-trigger
3.5 Revive at checkpoint-trigger
4. The End

1. What's a Maze?

A Maze is a custom map, in which you mostly have to follow a provided path without touching the ground or enemys. Often you control a hero with has good speed and is agile. Very often, this is the classic Night-Elven Demonhunter. On the path there are patroling units which kill you if you touch them. So you have to AVOID touching them :)
Then often you have units like mortars who shoot at the path so that you have to have good timing if you don't want to run in the shot. Mostly the mortars have so much damage, that they kill you with one shot. At least you often have checkpoints after each "Level" of the Maze. If you reach it, normally all heroes will be revived there. Sometimes you have continues so if all of you die you restart at last checkpoint until you have no more continues...

Here I show you a mini-map of a Maze (Polar Escape by LimiteR):
161628-albums950-picture8780.jpg

Ok, now you know what a Maze is. Hurry and have a look on the next step :)

2. Making the Terrain

The terrain of a Maze is very important. It shouldn't be too boring (e.g. only darkness) but it also shouldn't have every terrain-type next to each other (e.g. grass next to snow next to dirt and so on). Of course if you want to make a Maze like "World of Maze" or something like this you could or should use many terrain-types, but the players should know where they are safe and where they die...
Here I will show you a good terrain-type:

161628-albums950-picture8782.jpg

You see that its clear where you can walk and where you die. The grass is safe but the earth is deadly. So you have to walk carefully on the grass. Next I will show you a terrain thats not good:

161628-albums950-picture8783.jpg

Nobody will understand which terrain-type kills and which is safe. Maybe more than one type will kill? The players will have to try it out which costs them a continue or some heroes. Would be a bad start for your Maze. And I think you don't want to tell them in fact which ground kills and which is safe. They should understand it on their own, so: Keep it clear!

3. Triggers

Triggers are very important in a Maze (like in 99.9% of all custom maps^^).
Kill the heroes if they come in range with an enemy or kill them if they go off of path. All this will be shown in the next steps...

3.1 Off-Path killing-trigger

This trigger you really need in ALL kinds of Mazes. If players touch the ground which they should avoid of touching: They DIE!
Making this is a very easy trigger but it will be shown here, though:
(The easiest way is to make it with regions. Make regions where the heroes should die)

• Off Path
    • Events
      • Unit - A Unit enters <DeathRegion1>
      • Unit - A Unit enters <DeathRegion2>
      • Unit - A Unit enters <DeathRegion3>
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-Type of (Triggering-Unit)) equals to <[YourPlayerHeroes]>
    • Actions
      • Kill <TriggeringUnit>
Of course there are other ways to make this regions, for example with the JASS Region On Die Quickwrite, but in the tutorial we will use the "basic" method.

3.2 Patroling-trigger

In a Maze you have units which patrol on specific points on the map. Often they are controlled by Player 12 (Brown), but it can be whatever you want until its an ENEMY of all players. Also the units should be controlled by the Computer.
Now I'll show you the patroling-trigger:
(The enemys which patrol should ALL be invulnerable. Just go to Object-Editor [F6] and give them the "Invulnerable(Neutral)" ability)

• Patrol 1
    • Events
      • Game - Initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order <A_Unit> to <Patrol> to <OnePatrolingRegion>
Now you have a unit which patrols all the time between it's start-position and the region you have made. Good job, go to next step!

3.3 Shooting-trigger

The shooting-trigger is needed if you want to make mortars or other splash-attack units to shoot on the ground so that its a obstacle for players. You can make the units shooting permanently or shoot at specific events. (e.g. a unit enters a region)

• Shots
    • Events
      • Time - Periodic Time Event - (Every (4 seconds) of game time)
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order <Mortar_1> Targeting <ShootRegion_1>
You see that you have to make a region where the units shoot on. Of course you can also make many units shoot at one region. How you make the obstacles is your choice!

3.4 Die on touching enemys-trigger

Thats maybe the most important trigger after dying by touching forbidden terrain. You have to make that if a player's unit touchs an enemy's unit, the player's unit dies. This is a trigger which you have to make for each player.
It will look like this:

• Touch_Enemys_Red
    • Events
      • Unit - A Unit comes withing <75> of <Reds_Hero>
    • Conditions
      • (Owner of (Triggering-Unit)) equals to <Enemy[Player12]>
    • Actions
      • Unit - Kill <Reds_Hero>
Now if red's hero touchs a monster controlled by the computer, his/her hero will die. Good job, you almost beated this tutorial. Two more steps to go...

3.5 Revive at checkpoint-trigger

Also a very important trigger is the revive at checkpoint-trigger. In this trigger you make sure, if a player reaches a new checkpoint, all living heroes will die, and ALL heroes will respawn at the new checkpoint. For this trigger we need three variables:

Playing_Players - Real-Variable (No array, start-value[Number of maximal players])
Hero_Count - Real-Variable (No array, start-value[Number of Players/Heroes)
Continues - Real-Variable (No array, start-value[Number of continues you want to give the players]

You open the variable-editor by clicking on the big "X" in the Trigger-Editor [F4]. The following trigger will set the Playing_Player variable to the number of currently playing players :). Let's say in your Maze can play 8 Players. Then your trigger looks like this:

• Number_of_Players
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game-time equal to <0.01> seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to <number of players>
        • Do - Actions
          • If/Then/Else - If Player(Integer A) slot status doesn't equal to <Playing> then do <Variable - Set Playing_Players = (Playing_Players) - 1
Now in the Playing_Players variable you have stored the number of playing players. Next you have to make a trigger for each player, if they leave during game:
(And you REMOVE their hero)

• Player_1_Leaves
    • Events
      • Player - player leaves game
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Variable - Set Playing_Players = (Playing_Players) - 1
      • Unit - Remove (Reds_Hero) from the game
Next you have to make that everytime the Hero_Count variable becomes 0 (means no more heroes are living), you lose a continue and if you have more than one continue, they must be revived. Do this:

• Hero_Count_Reaches_0
    • Events
      • Game - Value of Hero_Count becomes = 0
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If/Then/Else
        • If - conditions
          • If (Continues) bigger than 0
        • Then - actions
          • Hero - Revive (Red's_Hero) instantly at (LastCheckpointReached)
          • Hero - Revive (Blue's_hero) instanty at (LastCheckpointReached)
          • -------- etc --------
        • Else - Actions
          • For integer a from 1 to <number of players>
            • Game - Defeat Player(Integer A) with the message (Your_Message)
Now you have to make the last two triggers. The first one is to reduce Hero_Count variable by 1 if a hero dies. This will be done like this:

• Red_Hero_Dies
    • Events
      • Unit - (Reds_Hero) dies
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Variable - Set Hero_Count = Hero_Count - 1

This trigger you make for each player. Now we come to the last trigger, the reviving at checkpoints. After we made the last triggers this can be easily done:

• Checkpoint_1
    • Events
      • Unit - Unit enters <Checkpoint_1>
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering-Unit)) equals to (YourHeroType[e.g.Demonhunter])
    • Actions
      • Unit-Group - Pick every unit in (Units of type YourHeroType) and do (Kill - Picked Unit)
      • Wait 1 second
      • Hero - Revive (Reds_Hero) instantly at <Checkpoint_1>
      • Hero - Revive (Blues_Hero) instantly at <Checkpoint_1>
      • -------- //[Do this for all heroes]\\ --------
      • Variable - Set Hero_Count = Playing_Players
After this, the entering hero and all other heroes die and will be revived at the checkpoint. But the heroes of the left players won't be revived because they have been removed before. So you did everything necessary that has to be done for a nice maze!

4. The End

Congratulations!!!
You have made it through this tutorial (finally :p) and you know the basics about making a Maze now. Now you can make any triggers that make difficulties for the players. Your creativity is needed here. Experiment with triggers who create units, make obstacles and so on. Nothing is forbidden!
But in the end, I would give you some more tips:

1. Don't make the levels TOO long. Nobody wants to play an endless level!
2. Don't forget to make many checkpoints if your Maze is hard. Anyways, do as many checkpoints as levels you have.
3. Think of fun! Don't make endless circles of path which patrolers on it. Think of new triggers which makes the game interesting (If you need some of them, you could also leave a comment or send me a message...)
4. Have fun by making your Mazes!!!

(I hope this tutorial could help you. If you have suggestions post me :infl_thumbs_up:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 23
oh this will be helpful! Good job! =D I always wondered how they did it. You make it look so simple too XD

I sense this will be helpful for anyone who wants to make a maze and may be new to the concept of WE mape making :p A truly wonderful and helpful tutorial =D

Edit: Just saw VeljkoM's post and that reminded me. A possible, key to door, fire to torch thing could be useful too :p or...... elemental torches! =D

Level 7
Big THX you all. All my tutorials I made since now were...bad.

@Veljkom:
Yes, I know this would be easier, but always when I play a Maze I HATE it if they walk random...Then it isnt a real maze cuz you cant rush or something like this. I think on this way it's quite better (and looks better :p)

Level 9
DarkLordX, I'm not sure if Blooddancer was talking about this, but you can use periodic time [every 0.01 seconds], use a condition which is about If The Unit is on This Type of Terrain etc, something like that, then Action - Unit - Kill The Unit [yes, this doesn't sound like the editor, but there's something like that, I dunno, condition - terrain type, and The Unit is what the unit is in the maze - you can use variables for multiplayer ease like Integer - Player Number, well I'm rambling, anyway, hope you get the first bit.

Level 1
Umm I don't get the part that tell me to fill in lastcheckpoint reach.... I can't seem to be able to find that option anyway good job: Hero_Count_Reaches_0

Events

Game - Value of Hero_Count becomes = 0

Conditions
Actions

If/Then/Else

If - conditions

If (Continues) bigger than 0

Then - actions

Hero - Revive (Red's_Hero) instantly at (LastCheckpointReached)
Hero - Revive (Blue's_hero) instanty at (LastCheckpointReached)
-------- etc --------

Else - Actions

For integer a from 1 to <number of players>

Game - Defeat Player(Integer A) with the message (Your_Message

Level 2
Custom TKILL

• Events
    • Time - Every 0.05 seconds of game time
    • Actions
    • Unit Group - Pick every unit in Units and do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • ((Picked unit) is alive) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • Set HeroPosition[0] = (Position of (Picked unit))
          • Set HeroOnPath = False
          • For each (Integer A) from 0 to 3, do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Set HeroPosition[1] = (HeroPosition[0] offset by BugDistance towards (90.00 x (Real((Integer A)))) degrees)
                • If - Conditions
                  • And - All (Conditions) are true
                    • Conditions
                      • (Terrain type at HeroPosition[1]) Not equal to PathTerrain
                • Then - Actions
                  • Set HeroOnPath = True
                • Else - Actions
              • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_HeroPosition[1])
            • If - Conditions
              • HeroOnPath Equal to False
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Kill (Picked unit)
            • Else - Actions
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_HeroPosition[0])
        • Else - Actions
RaWR!!!!!!!!!

Level 2
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit enters Region w/e <gen>
  • Conditions
    • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to MazerUniT
  • ctions
    • Unit - Pause all units
    • Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Camera - Pan camera for (Picked player) to (Center of Region w/e <gen>) over 1.20 seconds)
    • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units of type Demon Hunter) and do (Unit - Kill (Picked unit))
    • Wait 2.00 seconds
    • Hero - Set (Triggering unit) Hero-level to ((Integer((String((Level of (Triggering unit)))))) + 1), Hide level-up graphics
    • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units of type Demon Hunter) and do (Hero - Instantly revive (Picked unit) at (Center of Region w/e <gen>), Hide revival graphics)
    • Unit - Unpause all units
    • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
Useing this trigger you wont have to make a Action to revive every dh one by one.

Level 2
  • Events
    • Time - Every 2.00 seconds of game time
  • Actions
    • Set Collision = 60
    • Set PlayerPatrols = (Units owned by Player 12 (Brown))
    • Unit Group - Pick every unit in PlayerPatrols and do (Actions)
      • Loop - Actions
        • Trigger - Add to Collisions <gen> the event (Unit - A unit comes within (Real(Collision)) of (Picked unit))
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Events
  • Conditions
    • (Current flying height of (Triggering unit)) Less than or equal to 0.10
    • (Owner of (Triggering unit)) Not equal to Player 12 (Brown)
  • Actions
    • Unit - Kill (Triggering unit)
Set your mazers roll pitch angle to 11.
These are some of the triggers i use in my mazes.

Last edited:
Level 3
Hey,
Step 3.2
" Game - Initialization " and " Unit - Order <A_Unit> to <Patrol> to <OnePatrolingRegion "

Step 3.3
" Unit - Order <Mortar_1> Targeting <ShootRegion_1> "

Step 3.4
" (Owner of (Triggering-Unit)) equals to <Enemy[Player12]> "

Step 3.5
" If/Then/Else - If Player(Integer A) slot status doesn't equal to <Playing> then do <Variable - Set Playing_Players = (Playing_Players) - 1 "

HOW TO DO?!?!?!

On top of that theres " Do - Actions " Mine is " Loop - Action "

Best u make it in a video.

I cant find them...Help me

Last edited:
Level 4
the death thingy i tihnk is to much work, there is a trigger that will trigger a choosen terrian, grass for example, to kill entering unit.

Level 1
Woulden't it be easier to make a Terrian killer, so people doesen't have like 650 regions etc ?

Level 7
After a very long periode of being inactive, I came up with Warcraft 3 again :thumbs_up:

Woulden't it be easier to make a Terrian killer, so people doesen't have like 650 regions etc ?

Yes, but then 1. You have to stick to the terrain and 2. The Mazers can be killed very stupidly. So if they only touch the wrong path a bit they immediately die which sucks a lot :/

@all (or many^^):
Thanks for your nice comments :)