• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Making a Bleed (DoT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
First off, I'd like to mention I have absolutely zero experience with JASS, and overall, while experienced with the base Warcraft III editor tool, I'd request for everything that is to be said to be dumbed down, just in case.

Now, onto the topic! I need for my map a way to make bleed abilities, but despite my efforts looking online, everything I've found is either out of date, or isn't what I'm precisely looking for. What I desire is a damage over time ability which is completely stackable with the same unit - and yes, it's very possible and likely there will be many creatures on the map with this ability. One of the creatures I'm making while not threatening in burst damage, has the potential to overwhelm units with their stackable damage over time. I want to give the feeling they're making enemies bleed more and more with each attack, instead of going for killing blows.

The closest thing I've seen to this is going through the triggers and doing it that way, but it was mentioned it was limited, either to one unit, or it wasn't /really/ stackable. I've tried using Poison Arrows, but it can only be used on Ranged units apparently, so that's unacceptable. I tried other poison effects, but normally they aren't truly stackable. (only stacks if it's another unit landing the attack)

If it's literally impossible, then I suppose I'll settle for second best if that's possible and be happy with an ability which causes a damage over time effect that's auto-castable, or has a way of putting in a cooldown, so it can't be used constantly. What I have in mind which would act as an acceptable replacement is to simply make the bleed more powerful, but give it a low cooldown, or make it have a mana cost so that it would act as a kind of cooldown for the regular mobs.

And yes, it needs to be automatic, or auto-castable, or something akin to that. Without the need of clicking. Because there will be some playable units with this ability. (or another ability which is similar) Thanks everyone for reading, I hope I can find aid in perhaps the most difficult task I've found within the editor itself, while embarrassing it would be, I hope I just bypassed something obvious to make this as simple as possible.

Level 3
@Marcos_M I'm still reading it all admittedly, and it offers quite a bit of stuff I'm interested in, so in any event this should help me greatly. But I'd really like a run down before I dedicate myself fully to this. Can this do as I requested? If so, I'd love aid in it, although I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually, a shortcut of sorts would be deeply appreciated.

Level 7
You can use Parasite as a base ability for your bleed(remove the dps effect from the original), you create the "bleeding" effect from the trigger, so it will bleed more and more with each cast.
And of course, the spell effect will fully stack.

The system simply offers an easy way to do spells, i use it on my GUI spells

Level 3
@Marcos_M Huh.. I never thought about Parasite. I'll give this a shot, I was expecting some complicated and otherwise convoluted answer which would take me some time to complete. Might still take some time, but this isn't boggling my mind as much as I had expected it to. Thanks, Marcos! You da man.

I'm still free to other people's ideas, though, if anyone has anything else to add or offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.