• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Look what I found at Wikipedia...DotA Allstars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
This shows from wikipedia that IceFrog took/stole/ripped off(depends on your level of Anti-DotA)from other shit/games and junked it in.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Items
Aegis of the Immortal - A shield carried by Athena, for Zeus the Greek god.
Buriza do Kyanon - is a unique crossbow from Diablo II. The name is a transcription of 'Blizzard Cannon' as it would be pronounced in Japanese.
Aghanim's Scepter - Refers to Agahnim, an important boss in some of the Zelda games.
Cranium Basher - Cranium Basher is a warhammer from Diablo.
Crystalis - Crystalis was an old NES video game. In Japan, the name of the game was God Slayer: Sonata of the Far-Away Sky.
Dagon - A Semitic God. Also a monster in a H. P. Lovecraft story of the same name. With Necronomicon being an item as well, there's a good chance that Dagon refers to the Lovecraftian being.
Demon Edge - A sword for Chrono in Squaresoft's Chrono Trigger.
Eaglehorn - is a bow from Diablo and Diablo II.
Eul's Scepter of Divinity - A tribute to the creator of the original Defense of the Ancients, which included an item of the same name. The item "Guinsoo's Scythe of Vyse" derives from it. The fact that the latter is more powerful (using ESoD as a recipe ingredient, and is in a higher tier of items) may have been to imply Guinsoo's superiority, or simply to represent the development of the map over time.
Eye of Skadi - Skadi is the wife of the Van god Njord in Norse mythology. She was the Goddess of winter, and as a tribute to her the item causes a hero's attack to deal frost damage, slowing opponents.
Hands of Midas - Midas is a character in Greek mythology who turned everything he touched into gold. In Allstars, this item kills and turns an enemy creep into gold.
Heart of Tarrasque - A nearly immortal creature from Dungeons & Dragons, also mythical creature resembling a dragon, lion and scorpion. Also a slight name deviation from Torrasque, the ultralisk hero from StarCraft, another earlier Blizzard RTS game.
Lothar's Edge - A tribute to Sir Anduin Lothar, the Champion of Azeroth, during the First War (in Warcraft and Warcraft II.)
Messerschmidt's Reaver - Messerschmidt's Reaver is an axe from Diablo II, originally from Diablo.
Monkey King Bar - From the Chinese folk tale Journey to the West, the Monkey King Bar was a staff used by the hero Sun Wukong and could alter its size to his will; the same bar used by the character Son Goku in the Dragon Ball series. The weapon also appears in Phantasy Star Online and may also be another reference to that game.
Necronomicon - A fictional book invented by the early pulp fiction writer H. P. Lovecraft. A book bearing this title also appeared in the movie Army of Darkness.
Nethrezim Buckler - The Nathrezim or Dreadlords are a race in the Warcraft universe of games.
Power Treads - The graphic is used to depict "Wirt's Other Leg" belonging to Wirt, a boy who lost his leg, in Diablo.
Sange - A sword from the game Phantasy Star Online.
Yasha - The Japanese word for "demon" (Inuyasha = Demon Dog) and a type of demon in Indian mythology. Also refers to another sword from the game Phantasy Star Online.
Sange and Yasha - In Phantasy Star Online The Sange and Yasha could be combined to form a formidable dual sword weapon, and thus the same is allowed here.
Stygian Desolator - A weapon from the game Anarchy Online. The name is derived from the river that flows in the Greek underworld, the River Styx (Stygian, meaning to have the properties of Styx). This is however counterintuitive, because the waters of the River Styx was supposed to confer immortality to those who touched it. Achilles was said to have been dipped in the waters of the Styx as a baby.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Heroes
Note: This section only explains the possible allusions that exist in the DotA Allstars heroes and is not meant to be a hero guide/description/spell guide.
Abaddon, Lord of Avernus - Avernus is Latin for "void" or "abyss". Avernus is also one of the entrances to Hell in the Aeneid and The Divine Comedy. Abaddon (Hebrew for "destruction") is the name of the fallen angel of the abyss from the biblical Book of Revelation. Is also a powerful character in the miniature wargame Warhammer 40,000.
Akasha, Queen of Pain - One of the five elements of Hinduism. Also the name of the Queen of the Damned from a book by Anne Rice. Literally speaking in Hindi, it means "sky."
Atropos, Bane Elemental - Named after one of the three fates in Greek mythology, who literally "cut the thread of life". Additionally, all of his abilities are named after the spells of the elemental type "bane" from the tactical RPG game Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis and Atropos was also the ultimate sword attack from the game.
Barathrum, Spiritbreaker - The name Barathrum is the word for "underworld" in Latin.
Black Arachnia, Broodmother - The name, "Black Arachnia" is a character in the TV series Beast Wars. In the show, Black Arachnia is a female spider/robot for the Predacons faction.
Bradwarden, Centaur Warchief - character from R.A. Salvatore's book The Demon Awakens.
Gondar, Bounty Hunter - Named for the fictional region of Middle-earth that borders Mordor, Gondor. Similarities between Gondor and the Draenei (Gondar's character model in-game) include Gondor being the main bastion of defense against Mordor in Middle-earth, the Draenei were the original inhabitants of Draenor that bore the brunt of the wrath of corrupted Orcs before the invasion of Azeroth through the Dark Portal in Warcraft. Gondar is also and old imperial capital of Ethiopia.
Harbinger, Obsidian Destroyer - Harbingers are those that announce someone's or something's approach. Usually used for the "approaching" of destruction.
Ignis Fatuus - Keeper of the Light's ultimate skill, which is a phenomenal occurrence in marshlands creating a pale light, similar to Will 'o the Wisp. Also one of the purchasable weapons for Necrid in Soul Calibur II.
King Leoric, Skeleton King - his name comes from a powerful and nearly immortal Skeleton boss in Diablo whose son was possessed by the demon.
Krobelus, Death Prophet - A character (missionary role) in the game Summoner 2.
Lesalé Deathbringer, Venomancer - Uses a model of a character in StarCraft, the Zerg Hydralisk. This model is included in the Warcraft III data files as an easter egg.
Leshrac, Tormented Soul - Another character from Magic: The Gathering. (http://www.phyrexia.com/continuity/Leshrac.shtml)
Leviathan, Tidehunter - Strength hero that looks like a sea giant. His name comes from the Biblical sea monster ליויתן (pronounced leev - ya - tawn). His name can also be from a unique armor in Diablo II, "The Leviathan" Kraken Shell. One of his skills is called Kraken Shell.
Lina Inverse, Slayer - Powerful spellcaster, whose name and spells originate from Slayers, a famous manga and anime.
Lion, Demon Witch - A powerful intelligent disabler, whose Finger of Death ultimate was derived from the Lvl. 1 spell of Suikoden's Souleater Rune with the same name. The "Finger of Death" is also a common high level spell in Dungeons and Dragons. It has the ability to instantly kill a target creature regardless of the number of hitpoints it currently has. If the creature succeeds the saving throw or has magic resistance, it would be inflicted a minor damage instead. Finger of Death also happens to be Lord Archimonde's ultimate spell in the campaigns.
Lucifer, Doom Bringer - Refers to the fallen angel in Christian mythology. (Also from Heros Might and Magic Series). There is a chance for the name generator to also name this character Lucy.
Luna Moonfang, Moon Rider - Luna's ultimate, Eclipse, is similar to the Luna summon in Tales of Phantasia, in which multiple beams from the sky strike enmies.
Magnus, Magnataur - A reference to German physicist Heinrich Magnus who described a physical phenomenon called the Magnus effect, that is apt because of Magnus' ultimate skill, Reverse Polarity which acts like the Magnus effect, sucking in nearby enemies and stunning them.
Medusa, Gorgon - A monster in Greek mythology whose gaze turned people to stone. This is represented in-game using the skills Purge and Gaze (certain versions only) which greatly slows enemies, however does not turn them into stone.
Mercurial, Spectre - This is the name of the artist of the loading screen for version 6.28 and beyond.
Mogul Kahn, Axe - The name Mogul refers to a dynasty of Persian-Mongolians that once controlled the area that is now Afghanistan, Balochistan, and the Indian subcontinent (e.g. Babur, Akbar), while Kahn is a misspelling of "Khan", which means commander, leader or ruler in Persian.
Morphling - A shapeshifter from Wizards of the Coast's Magic: The Gathering, which is also adept at switching stats. More information on this card can be found [1] here
Mortred, Phantom Assassin - Her name possibly derives from the name Mordred. In the legend of King Arthur, Mordred is a traitor that severely wounds King Arthur. This has a hint of similarity to Mortred's story text in the DotA game, which appears as a tooltip during hero selection. Name could also allude to the word mortify, meaning to destroy the strength, vitality, or functioning of. Mortred also helped to test the map when Euls still made it.
Nevermore, Shadow Fiend - based on Edgar Allan Poe's poem "The Raven", where the Raven continually says only one word: "Nevermore".
Nortrom , Silencer - His name could have been derived from Nordom, a character in Planescape Torment. This could also possibly be derived from the company Norton, as they are a company developing anti-virus software and Nortrom is an anti-magic hero.
Pudge, Butcher - The Butcher is also a boss the game Diablo who says "Ahh...Fresh Meat " in battle. When Pudge uses his ultimate "Dismember", this sound, which was hardcoded into the Frozen Throne World Map Editor, is heard throughout the map. Blizzard also used the butcher again in the Frozen Throne campaignes as a sidequest involving Wirt's Other Leg from Diablo - Power Tread icon.
Rhasta, Shadow Shaman - The name is derived from a misspelling of "Rastafari", a religion founded in Jamaica. Rhasta uses a Jamaican accent.
Rikimaru, Stealth Assassin - The protagonist ninja in the game Tenchu: The Stealth Assassins.
Shandelzare Silkwood, Vengeful Spirit - Her Magic Missile spell duplicates a spell in Dungeons and Dragons.
Slithice, Naga Siren - Derived from Greek Mythology, where sirens (half woman half sea creatures) were enticing men on ships to their island. In the game, her ultimate spell (Song of the Siren) causes all enemies in the surrounding area to sleep for a short period of time.
Squee and Spleen, Goblin Techies - Character from Magic: The Gathering; a goblin from the Weatherlight saga. Squee was a kind of immortal and a famous goblin card. When the weatherlight ship was planeshifted to Mercadia, the Kyren goblins made him a general (Nabob). Spleen is not technically a real character in M:tG but he was mentioned a few times as Squee's partner in the flavour texts of the cards [one of them started with "Squee and Spleen, went up a tree..." I think the rest goes like this "See the enemy, flee, flee, flee"].
Sven, Rogueknight - Name comes from the Swedish Body Builder infamous for using the line "I want to pump *clap* you up!". Alluded to in the captions under his ability Toughness Aura ("Sven is here to pump you up!") and ultimate ability God's Strength ("Sven gets pumped up! Adds bonus damage for 25 seconds.")
Syllabear, Lone Druid - Syllabear is named after Syl-la-ble from Clan TDA who worked with Guinsoo in the development of DotA Allstars. Before leaving, he created this hero to leave his mark in DotA.
Ulfsaar, Ursa Warrior - A Furbolg warrior whose name may spring from the Norse Ulfsark, a warrior in times of need (alluding to his character description) that wore animal skins as a tactic to scare enemies; and similar to Ulfsarks were Berserkers, meaning "Bear strength" (Furbolgs are bear-like creatures in Warcraft III). Berserk is alluded to Ulfsaar's ability to Overpower foes. In newer versions, Ulfsaar has a chance to be named Fuzzy Wuzzy, alluding to the children's nursery rhyme about "a bear who had no hair".
Yurnero, Juggernaut - An Orc Blademaster whose ultimate ability, Omnislash, is the derivative of Cloud Strife's omnislash from Final Fantasy. Comes from the Hindi Jagannath, literally, lord of the world, title of Vishnu, and also defined as a massive inexorable force that crushes all in its path.
Zeus, Lord of Olympia - Chief of the gods in Greek mythology. Zeus was the god of sky and lightning, and in DotA Allstars the Zeus hero specializes in lightning-based spells.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Level 18
ArcticInferno said:
This shows from wikipedia that IceFrog ripped off many stuff from other shit/games and junked it in.

Wow, and I never would've looked at other mythos and ideas for inspiration and certainly not from games by the same company as the one I'm working on, and not games I've like either, no, no, no!

Level 18
So? Alot of people who write books etc. don't mention their inspirations outright until they're interviewed and asked about them, saying he 'ripped them off' is a bit harsh, the names/ideas are extremely common in mythology and have been around for thousands of years in the most part.

Level 7
you need to realize two things:
book != wc3 map
idea/inspiration != direct copy
my opinion:
Lothar's Edge, Nethrezim Buckler - ok, well they're from warcraft
Aegis of the Immortal, Hands of Midas - greek mythology, not really ok, but can pass
Heart of Tarrasque, Stygian Desolator - stealing from other games...really not ok

Level 12
Yes..true maybe it was abit harsh...SFilip is right, to me stealing ideas from other games and not giving credit is really not ok.

EDIT

Ok, shados, instead of saying 'ripped off' i put, took/stole/ripped off...Depends on how Anti-DotA are you, so which word suits you the best...

Last edited:
Level 18
SFilip said:
you need to realize two things:
book != wc3 map
idea/inspiration != direct copy
my opinion:
Lothar's Edge, Nethrezim Buckler - ok, well they're from warcraft
Aegis of the Immortal, Hands of Midas - greek mythology, not really ok, but can pass
Heart of Tarrasque, Stygian Desolator - stealing from other games...really not ok

Look, they are possible interpretations of the names, and as they said, "Stygian" means to have the properties of the Styx, so it's possible that's a coincidence. And I seriously doubt the people over at Wizards of the Coast mind someone using the name of an extremely powerful DnD beast, as it's free advertising if someone looks it up -_-.

Level 1
hey arcticinferno.. are u supporting icefrog or not.. for as far as i know.. ur a dota lover.. so y r u condemning icefrog? or r u a anti icefrog but a dota lover? lol

Level 18
Ok, imagine a world where every old myth and game is so copyright-covered that practically nothing truly good can be made, as all good things have elements of other good things in them. Final Fantasy games for instance have used quite alot of names/ideas from sources outside themselves and they're brilliant, they have made (in many people's opinions, not just mine) 2-3/3 of the best RPGs ever made. Would you deny the world them for the sake of protecting older work?

Level 5
Mythology is a great way to begin with insperation. Hey, what has Blizzard done with dwarves, elves, griffins, dragons, wyvens, ents (need I go on?). I highly doubt in the credits that there is a section that acknoledges the countless mythical creatures taken and used in their game, let a lone hundreds of thousands of books, games and movies that use mythical creatures that someone made up and the author's didn't acknowledge. So Icefrog has done his research...Good on him.
Personally I suck at DotA and since my CD key doesn't like me and won't let me play on Battle.net, i probably will never get to play a 10 player DotA game for a very long time.
One thing to remember: "Stealing from one person is called plagerism, stealing from many people is called research."
Originality is hard to find these days anyway...unfortunatly :(

Level 7
By the same note Tolkien also invented the orc. obviously blizzard stole the idea for the orc from Tolkien. And on top of that God invented humans, obviously dota stole the idea of humans for some of the heros. and lets not forget those elves, i dont think icefrog invented the elf. he should seariously credit tolkien for the idea of ents and orcs, God for humans, trees, terrain, existance etc., and whoever invented elves for the idea of elves. Oh ya, and hes gotta credit dead people everywhere for the ghouls that are in dota, we cant forget the ghouls.

Level 7
the point is, theres no point in whining about originality. Say every warcraft III map was completely original. There would be no Dota: Allstars, no Tides of Blood, no Even of the Apocolypse, no Footmen Frenzy, and none of the Lord of the Rings maps because they are all based on the movies. Id hate for everything to be original! The main point of making something new is to take an idea thats been done before, and rewrite it, rework it and add anything you like to it until its no longer recognizable as the original work. this gives us better and better things in general (books, movies, warcraft maps, video games etc.). Besides, so many things have been done already, if we were all supposed to be original by now there would be characters with 1000 legs, 1000 arms, purple skin, the face of a donkey and the body of a horse! that would be retarded, but required for "originality".

Level 12
Originally Posted by Shados
Look, Tolkien pretty much invented Orcs, Ents, Elves

Are you sure he was first to do elves? Before he invented, tall, graceful and powerful elves, elves were more of mischevious kind of thing. And orcs..Tolkein's orcs are like goblins...Most other fantasies, the orcs are muscular and strong, a brute force. Funny I cant find 'orc' in the dictionary

Level 7
Tolkien invented orcs (which he based on goblins but they have many differences) and he did not invent the elves. elves were invented before him. also i believe he did not invent ents either come to think of it (but he may have made them keepers of the woods, im not sure)

Level 18
As I said, "partly from his own ideas and imagination and partly from folklore", I said he pretty much created them because up until that point all they were was a group of contradictory infromation coming from folklore, after Tolkien collected and added to these ideas they were completely changed. Of course Tolkien's Orcs are Goblinoid, in Tolkien's works Orcs = Goblins.

-*meow*

Level 7
Um actually Tolkien's orcs where not goblins. i have studied Tolkien (I didnt enjoy it but had to do it for a class) and in that study we disscussed orcs and goblins quite a bit. anyways, Tolkien is the inventor of the orc, its as simple as that. HOWEVER, he based it on the Goblin BUT in Tolkien's works a goblin is not the equivalent of an orc, they are two completely different creatures.

EDIT: Btw, Tolkien made the elves filthy panzies in my opinion. Before him of course elves werent much of anything and he did make them tall and graceful and all (which is cool) but the elves were such wusses in the lotr books! I mean come on, in The Hobbit the Wood Elves were afraid of 13 dwarves and a hobbit! In the chapter where the wood elves are all feasting and dancing a lone dwarf comes out from the woods into the firelight to seek help from the elves. before he has a chance to say a single word the elves instantly put out all the lights and run away, while putting an enchant on the dwarf so they can capture him and acuse him of attacking them! Then in the actual lotr books the elves are these amazingly powerful creatures that can shoot an orc between the eyes in the pitch black of night by listening to his breathing, and they are so good at running through the woods that if they want orcs to track them they have to slow themselves down and make extra noise, yet for some reason they always stayed hidden instead of conquering mordor like they easily could. i hated the elves in the lotr personnally... (at least the books, they were pretty crazy in the movies)

Last edited:
Level 18
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orc_(Middle-earth) said:
Orcs, goblins, and Uruk-hai

In The Hobbit, Tolkien used the word "goblins" for Orcs, because he had not yet identified the world of The Hobbit with Middle-earth (which predated The Hobbit by several decades, in early writings which would later become The Silmarillion). Fortunately Tolkien did include some references to his legendarium in the Hobbit, which later allowed him to identify the lands of the Hobbit with his Middle-earth. The term "Orc" does occur, but only in an instance where Gandalf is trying to scare Bilbo by mentioning creatures of the wilderness and in the name of Thorin's sword, 'Orc-rist' ('goblin-cleaver').

In The Lord of the Rings, "Orc" is used predominantly, and "goblin" mostly in the Hobbits' speech.

As an example, a passage where the terms are used interchangeably goes:

"There were four goblin-soldiers of greater stature, swart, slant-eyed, with thick legs and large hands. They were armed with short broad-bladed swords, not with the curved scimitars usual with Orcs: and they had bows of yew, in length and shape like the bows of Men."
"The Departure of Boromir", from The Two Towers. The goblins described are Saruman's Uruk-hai.

This change can be seen story-externally as a part of the shift towards the use of Elvish words that occurred during the period between the writing of The Hobbit and the writing of The Lord of the Rings. Story-internally, it is a translation of the Hobbit term from the Red Book of Westmarch, where Tolkien claimed to have translated his Middle-earth writings (a device also used by other authors).

Thus, "Goblin" represents a term for Orcs used by Hobbits, sometimes picked up by Men and Elves (since English was not spoken, or rather had not yet developed, in Middle-earth).

The original edition of The Hobbit and early drafts of The Lord of the Rings first used "goblin" everywhere and used "hobgoblin" for larger, more evil goblins: when "goblin" and "goblins" were replaced with "Orc" and "Orcs", Tolkien invented the terms "Uruks" and "Uruk-hai" for his stronger Orcs.

Obviously you didn't do your homework very well, then. Also, the Wood Elves are not the same as the Elves you mostly see in LotR.

And on the subject of the Wood Elves tactics ("the elves instantly put out all the lights and run away, while putting an enchant on the dwarf so they can capture him"), have you never heard of guerilla warfare?

-*meow*

Level 7
guerilla warfare is not the act of running away whenever an enemy comes (besides, the other dwarves could have easily rescued their comrade since all the enchant did was put him to sleep, had they not been unready for meeting the elves). it is the act of attacking your enemy quickly in the jungles when they dont realize your about to attack them. besides, guerilla warfare is generaly used by the weaker that dont stand a chance any other way thus boosting my claim that elves are panzys in the lotr books.

Now back to orcs and goblins: you cant really trust wikipedia 100% because any idiot can alter it; however for this discusion we can give them the benifit of the dought and say that they are correct.
Thus, "Goblin" represents a term for Orcs used by Hobbits
right there it says that the term "goblin" was used as another name for orcs, not that orcs are goblins but that goblins are orcs (big difference). Here are some of the differences between orcs and goblins:
1. Orcs legs are slightly bent back at the knees
2. Orcs cannot come out durring the day (Uruks can, but the original orcs could not). A goblin can however, as evident by The Hobbit where the goblins chased Bilbo out of the Goblin cave and into the light of day.
3. Orcs are large creatures (about the size of a man) while a goblin is small and typically weaker than an orc.

Now then, if Tolkien used the term "Goblin" as a term that the hobbits called orcs ok, but in The Hobbit which is the prequal to the lotr there were races of goblins, not orcs, in the mountains. We know these were goblins and not orcs because they were able to walk out into the light and it took place before sauron had made a race of orcs strong enough to enter into the light of day. Also heres the biggest difference between orcs and goblins:

Orcs were bred in mockery of elves, Goblins are dwellers in darkness...

Level 36
K, Goblins, such as those featured in the Misty Mountains, Moria, etc are DIFFERENT from the Orcs! There are different breeds of Orcs as well. The Mordor Orcs, the Morgul Orcs, the Uruk Hai (Isengard Orcs) and the Olog Hai (troll orcs). The elves in Tolkiens books are the most powerful of all of the races of Middle Earth, did you not read the books? Without the elves, the men of the books would get absolutely nowhere. (On a whle, not within the fellowship). I for one absolutely HATED, DESPISED, LOATHED THE GAYASS PANZY ELVES that PJ created for the movies. Like Legolas, he was so gay it wasen't even funny. Like the only reason they even left him in the movies was that so he could attract all of the teenage girls to go see it. Gawd, its not like he does anything that Gimli and Aragorn couldn't have done without him...

Level 7
The Hobbit: Excellent
The Fellowship of the Ring: So boring I couldn't bring myself to read the rest of the books (but I might since I love fantasy so much).

I actually like PJ's elves cause they were so crazy, but Tolkien's elves were just plain gay...

Level 36
Really? The Fellowship of the ring is one of my favourite books! Well I guess I shouldn't say that because they're all my favourite books. Much better then the Hobbit even though it is still very good. In honesty, when I first read the LOTR trilogy, I skipped Fellowship and read the Two Towers and Return of the King and liked them so much I read Fellowship after. It's kind of slow stating off, but now that I've read the trilogy about 15 times, I can appreciate the book a lot more.

Level 18
Now then, if Tolkien used the term "Goblin" as a term that the hobbits called orcs ok, but in The Hobbit which is the prequal to the lotr there were races of goblins, not orcs, in the mountains. We know these were goblins and not orcs because they were able to walk out into the light and it took place before sauron had made a race of orcs strong enough to enter into the light of day. Also heres the biggest difference between orcs and goblins:

No offense, but what you just said is fucking idiotic. I mean, you said "Tolkien used the term "Goblin" as a term that the hobbits called orcs ok" then "but in The Hobbit which is the prequal to the lotr there were races of goblins". Of course in the Hobbit they were refered to as goblins, that's because IT IS A BOOK ABOUT A HOBBIT, GOBLIN = HOBBIT TERM FOR ORC!

-*meow*

Level 36
As well, a lot of the characters (like the elves) would seem nonsensical because before the time of the LOTR thats the only way people new how to portray them! As well the Hobbit was a CHILDRENS STORY! It was never meant to be a grim epic work of fantasy like LOTR. Thats also why you will notice soom of the behaviours and terms differing.

Level 7
no, no, wat i meant by races of goblins in the mountains was that they had to be goblins and not orcs not based on what Bilbo called them, but by their behavior. Specificly the orcs during the time of The Hobbit (to the best of my knowledge) couldnt go out in the light. they could only come out at night and not durring the day. but the goblins that were in The Hobbit came out of the mountain during broad daylight to chase after Bilbo. so they cant be orcs since they ran into the sun, which must mean they are goblins. and since tolkien never said "There are no goblins in the Lord of the Rings" and since The Hobbit was the prequal to the LotR we can assume that there were races of actual goblins that lived in the mountains of Middle Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.