1. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Do you hear boss music? It's the 17th Mini Mapping Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Localized Lighting

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by Lord_Sauron, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Lord_Sauron

Lord_Sauron

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I have a section of my map that represents an underground area and would like it to always be dark regardless of what time of day it is. I had two ideas of how to do this, but wasn't sure if they are possible.
    The first would be to somehow set the terrain, doodads, and units within the region to always show their midnight lighting setting regardless of what time of day it actually was. The other was to have a cinematic fade filter that applied to a player when his camera was within that region. Other players would not be affected.
    If anyone knows if either method is possible and how to make it happen, I'd really appreciate it.

2. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you want a really great way to do it you could set the DayNight Cycle (DNC) Model to '''','''' and everything will be completely dark. Then you can use omnilights and attach them to your units. There are some good tutorials. The one I used when starting out was this by Belegarth.
    You can modify it how you want, so it is more of a light radius than a torch, but it really makes everything look realistically dark. All you have to do when you are done is reset the DNC Model to the one used by the map.

3. Lord_Sauron

Lord_Sauron

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So in my case, set the map to permanent night, and have lights where I want daylight to be?

4. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    Rather than do that I would just set the map to 'night' using triggers whenever you enter the appropriate areas like caves. Then when you leave the caves you can set it back to the regular DNC model with triggers. When I have time I can give you the appropriate triggers you would need.