• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

loading screen quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
hello there
ok ive made a loading screen for my map and it looks very nice in photoshop or if i save it in jpg from photoshop looks nice and tidy

mkloadingscreencj4.jpg

then i saved into .tga and converted to .blp

this is how it looks when loading the map

mkdf3.jpg

why does it look so bright and not as clean as the normal one
does converting to .blp reduce the quality of the image that much? and if it is, is there a way to put the .tga file in as the loading screen?

i dont know how many methods there are, i used the .mdl file and then imported the FullScreen.blp image.

Level 3
i saved it into .tga with photoshop in 24bit, i remember saving it to 32bit but it wouldnt work, screen would turn white.
I used wc3 image extractor to convert it into .blp, ill try out the wc3 viewer

Level 8
For loading screens you should always use paletted tgas instead of blp. Saves a bit of space and drastically improves the quality of the image. Especially when you have writing on it, blp's jpg-compression makes it blurry.

To pull it off, simply change the texture paths in the loading screen model to .tga instead of .blp. To save a paletted tga change the color mode to Indexed/Paletted Colors in your image editing software and save it as tga.

This is also how we did it in Dota.

Level 3
do you know how to change the colord mode in photoshop? i cant find it

EDIT: nevermind i found it, i changed the .psd to indexed color mode, then saved it as .tga, im getting a black loading screen though, something bad with the imported paths?
the import path i changed it to FullScreen.tga as you said in your post

2ND EDIT: i got it to work, simply outstanding, thank you very much pitzermike (+rep)

I tried your way kwaliti but image size was 400 kb bigger and it looked the same as before, while with pitzermike its only 200kb bigger and looks amazing, even though, thanks to you too kwaliti.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.