• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Little Question !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Ive just started to use varibles and i understand what there used for but i want to know if the varible setting stays the same for example. I set the varible to be the item in slot one of a hero, then if i use the varible in a seperate trigger, is that varible still linked to that item. :wink:

Level 8
If it's a global, yes. All variables you set using the Variables Windows is a global. Locals can only be used with Jass. (except triggering unit, the only GUI local)

Level 4
Basically, variable saves the "address" of object. But there are two kind of var in WE : local and global. Local is equal to private, it means can be used in a function that it declared. And global is equal to public, it means can be used in any function.

Am I missed something?

Level 14
Ive just started to use varibles and i understand what there used for but i want to know if the varible setting stays the same for example. I set the varible to be the item in slot one of a hero, then if i use the varible in a seperate trigger, is that varible still linked to that item. :wink:

All the variables you set with the variable editor will be permanent unless you change them. It will always refer to that item.

Level 8
Default setting you mean "No Item"? AFAIK, there's no function that reset a variable to it's defaults, but since you know the default of your variable you can set your variable to it.

Level 30
Unfortunately, variables will leak if not reseted or removed.
They got re-wrote every time a new value is set for them.
Variables are useful, they can store values so the other triggers and loop triggers can efficiently use them without searching for that unit again.
Still, 70% of leaks are within usage of variables, and I highly recommend you to use them wisely, or to at least take a look at the http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/trigger-gui-editor-tutorials-279/basic-memory-leaks-5889/

Status
Not open for further replies.