• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Kotor Mmo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
I saw the press release and I died and went to heaven.

This is going to be the best MMO ever made. End of story.

The only thing I don't like is how Bioware is treating Kotor II as non-canon, since there are suddenly thousands of Jedi around 300 years later when at the end of II the only Jedi left heads off into Unknown Space.

And it kinda sucks how they ditch Revan. The Sith he was looking for come back, but he doesn't. God damnit I want closure!

Level 13
Meh... This actually dissapoints me. KOTOR was a great RPG game! However alot of the features that make RPGs great are not present in MMORPGs. It'll just be grind and grind and then farming for teh epic lighsaber.

Also the graphic style at the moment looks too... Cartoony and bright for me.

Level 36
Meh... This actually dissapoints me. KOTOR was a great RPG game! However alot of the features that make RPGs great are not present in MMORPGs. It'll just be grind and grind and then farming for teh epic lighsaber.

Also the graphic style at the moment looks too... Cartoony and bright for me.

And here's where you're wrong.

This is an MMO being developed by Bioware, an RPG company, as a sequel to one of the most acclaimed series of RPG's in all time.

They're not going to forget the aspects of the RPG in this game, if anything, they'll build the game as an RPG and then add the features necessary to make it an MMO after, rather than the other way around.

You will have AI companions, full story campaign bits, etc. Not much like any other MMO I've played, sounds like grinding wont be a possibility.

Level 13
And here's where you're wrong.

This is an MMO being developed by Bioware, an RPG company, as a sequel to one of the most acclaimed series of RPG's in all time.

They're not going to forget the aspects of the RPG in this game, if anything, they'll build the game as an RPG and then add the features necessary to make it an MMO after, rather than the other way around.

You will have AI companions, full story campaign bits, etc. Not much like any other MMO I've played, sounds like grinding wont be a possibility.
Story... with thousands of other people running around at the same time, ALL being the main character! Sorry but it just does not work. You could say it worked in Guild Wars, BUT:
1. Guild Wars is NOT an MMO!
2. Guild Wars was instanced.
With instancing it could work, however instancing gets really annoying at some points and gives a feeling of loneliness, especially when you're with AI companions!

Level 13
Tyranid, this is Bioware we're talking about.

Mass Effect, Jade empire, KOTOR?

This is a company that KNOWS how to handle RPG's. I think they know what they're doing.
That's the thing, they know how to handle RPGs, but they do not know about MMORPGs yet! A good and interesting storyline is hard to make in a MMORPG because there are thousands of other people running around, all being the protagonists of the story. Thus, since there are so many people, your actions alone won't leave any sort of mark on the world.

Also you can't do a whole twist thing like "No, you ARE Revan", since everyone else would be Revan too! Story and other elements that make RPG games truly amazing just do not fit into an MMORPG. The only thing MMORPG really has in common with RPGs is gear, levels and stats.

"Story" in MMORPGs is simply the background of the game and nothing more. Sure they could do something to shape the world, but it would have to require the work of alot of players, and even after it's done the players who did not participate will whine forever because they "missed content".

Level 17
That's what all other MMORPG's are.

Who knows, this could be a step forward in the genre where some storytelling meets the MMO.

If anyone can take the MMORPG or RPG genre another step, its either blizzard or Bioware.

And we all know Blizzard is too busy raking in money from WoW.

Status
Not open for further replies.