• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Knockback Arena v0.8

Reactions: Frotty and commoe
Knockback Arena

Enter an epic battle arena, buy items to upgrade your skills and attack to
defeat your enemies to become the true Arena King.

This is an hero arena map, the only hero: Arena King (very similar to the Mountain King) has skills Hammer Bolt, Hammer Clap, Bash and Avatar (Skills knockback instead of stun)

The environment is dynamic, the terrain has interesting effects and destructables spawn everywhere.

Skills can be upgraded with the elements or technology to destroy your enemies and the environment!

This is still in alpha so there are many bugs, let me know if you find some.

-Altars (F4)
Artifacts can be bought from the altars, artifacts will change one of your skills;
any one of Bolt, Nova, Bash or Avatar depending on the artifact.

For example: The Power Bolt Artifact changes Hammer Bolt
to Power Bolt which has more damage and knockback.
Note that having 2 items that change the same skill does not stack, BUY ONLY ONE!
Artifacts in the same row are a set.

There are 11 different sets of artifacts available.
Altar of Change:
Power, Chain, Dark
Altar of Devotion:
Elemental, Earth, Vampiric
Altar of Foresight:
Sun, Water, Wind
Altar of Progress:
Goblin, Explosion

Having skills that combine together will give you a special skill
that improves one or all of your skills in some way.
For example, having all the Power Set skills: Power Bolt, Power Stomp, Power Bash and
Power Avatar will give you the special skill Power Critical which gives you a chance
to deal more damage for any hit.

Not just skills of the same set will give you special skills, there are currently 6 hidden specials. Mix around stuff around and see what works!

- Orb Shrine (F3)
Orbs from the Orb Shrine will add an effect to your attack that will stack

List of orbs:
Orb of Piercing, Orb of Feedback, Orb of Fire, Orb of Frost, Orb of Lightning,
Orb of Chaos, Orb of Power, Orb of Bash, Orb of Vampire, Orb of Shockwave, Orb of Striking.

There is one exception, Orb of Synergy will improve the level of special skills by 1.
You can buy more to upgrade it, improving up to level 5.

- Spell Vault (F2)
The Spell Vault allows you to buy auras for you or your team or debuffs for your enemies.
The left 2 columns are auras and the right 2 columns are debuffs.

Below are classes of spells in the Spell Vault

Ferocity, Regeneration, Weakness, Draining
Once these spells bought will stay active until another player buys it away from you, these spells are quite weak.
You can continually buy it everytime it comes off cooldown to ensure its
always active for you but it is expensive.

Shielding, Multicast, Corruption, Punishment
These spells are held by your hero so once you die, it will disappear hence they are average.

Bloodlust, Haste, Freezing, Breaking
These spells last for a short time therefore are very strong.

At the start, the first player may change 6 options:
Winning Kills - 20/40/60
Starting Gold - 200/500/900/50
Players Per Team - 1/2/3/4/6
Starting Level - 1 to 10
Spell Vault - On or Off
Map Theme - Village or Underground

Map theme changes the terrain and the creeps and doodads that spawn.
List of map themes:
Village
Underground

Neutral creeps spawn anywhere on the map, they are easy to kill unless it gets
to very late in the game.

Killing creeps give you gold and they will spawn a destructable or a rune when they die.
A destructable stays on the ground and blocks movement but may be destroyed by AOE damage.

This is a chaotic arena map, expect to die.
It's better to die than to hide in a corner and wait till your health is filled up.

When you kill, a kill message is displayed to all players.
You can set it by typing "-km XXX" in chat (up to 8 chars), default is ">"
Messages are displayed if you killed multiple heroes or if you have many consecutive kills!

You will revive 10 seconds after you die and also given the Rebirth Essence buff.
This is to help players that are falling behind, adds 10 hps regeneration and doubles
rune buff duration (see below).
This buff is removed when you kill another hero.

- Runes
Grab runes that spawn around the map

Runes may spawn instead of destructables when creeps are killed.
A rune is a special destructable that can be hit or activated by AOE damage.
Runes apply a special effect in an area around them.

Here are a list of runes:
Health rune - Restores 200 health
Mana rune - Restores 100 mana
Dark stone - Teleports to a random location in the map and 20% evasion for 30 seconds
Boom Barrel - Explodes with 200 damage
Power Stone - Gives +10 strength for 30 seconds
Hasty Stone - Gives +10 agility for 30 seconds
Calming Stone - Gives +10 intelligence for 30 seconds

Buff durations are doubled if you have Rebirth Essence

- Awards
Bored of winning, tired of losing? Why not try go to for some awards instead.
They are given at the end for outstanding achievements,

- Holding a lot of gold at the end
- Killing yourself many times
- Getting killed by creeps many times
- Collecting many runes
- And many others!

- AI
Some AI is implemented or computer players, however they do not use Orbs or the Spell Vault

Credits to Callahan, sPy, bigapple90, Naro, Darkfang for the awesome models and icons
i used in this map, all from www.hiveworkshop.com.

Changelog

- Added highest gold, multikills and consecutive kills to be shown at the end
- Added a whole load of awards which are shown at the end
Some examples are: Gold award, Boss award, Balls award.
- Added new artifact set - 'Glaive' at the Altar of Progress
- Added more terrain variation, each terrain type has its own effect except for the default one
- Added destructable impact (does not kill)
- Added more musics, sounds and effects to various things
- Added more hidden specials

- Added critical to Power Bolt and Power Stomp
- Reduced Power knockback a little
- Tripled Power Bash damage but divided chance to proc by 3
- Chain Chaos and Vampiric Nova bolt count increased by 1
- Dark Fury will make you invisible and increased the cooldown
- Fire Bolt damage increased
- Chance for freeze to break is increased to 30% (was 20%)
- Elemental Avatar now increases elemental damage as well
- Earth Shatter damage reduced
- Reduced Sun Bash chance (now 8/11/14)
- Removed drowning silence when not having the special
- Cyclone speed reduced
- Cyclone/Tornado damage increase but now does more damage if closer (before it was if farther)
- Wind Cutter now has a constant 15% chance to hit and effects scale with level
- Wind Avatar now also prolongs cyclones and tornadoes
- Increased all tornado pull by 150%
- Clockwerk Goblin loses health overtime
- Rescaled Clockwerk Goblin attacks, explosion damage, increased attack damage and reduced explosion area
- Rocket Bash: decreased rocket damage, increased count and speed
- Decreased Explosive Barrel damage
- Increased Suicide bash chance

- Rescaled Hammer Clap damage
- Rescaled Power Stomp damage
- Decrease cooldown on Rock Eruption
- Rescale cooldown on Thunder Clap
- Rescaled Cyclone damage
- Rescaled Tornado damage
- Rescaled Water Torrent damage
- Rescaled Goblin Factory goblin count and removed minimum range
- Rescaled Rocket Bash rocket count
- Rescaled Suicide Bash chance

- Changed price of Orb of Synergy to 200
- Changed prices of items from Altar of Progress (they were a bit more costly than others)
- Fall damage is increased (does not kill) + effects
- Unit movement is now disabled when sliding very fast
- Avatar now makes you bigger (just to be more visible)
- Time of day now corresponds to the game state (start at night and goes to morning)
- You can now easily change between same type artifacts by clicking on them

- Win kills in options is rescaled (20/30/40/50)
- Spell Vault is off by default
- Fixed freeze not actually stopping units from casting spells
- Fixed being unable to sell items (for all but the altar icon)
- Fixed Chain Chaos and Vampiric Nova always casting 3 bolts
- Fixed a bug that caused calming stones not to spawn
- Corrected various tooltip mistakes

- Removed Map Visibility option

- Added Let Everyone Decide in game options
- Added hasty and calming stone runes
- Added description for runes
- Added map themes in options, can select between village and underground for now
- Added new doodads for each theme
- Added new creeps for each theme
- Added new winning cutscene
- Added command "-fc" to fix/free camera to your hero

- Lessened creep clustering
- Fixed message for creeps killing the player
- Fixed boom barrel and power stone runes
- Changed kill message char limit to 8
- Fixed a wierd bug with physics and dark skills
- Hopefully fixed a bug with the Shrine and Vault

Keywords:
knockback, arena, hero, mountain, king, chaos, physics, avatar
Contents

Knockback Arena v0.8 (Map)

Reviews
15:04, 28th Jun 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Approved
Level 8
Okay, I'm just gonna give you the page here...
It's fairly simple in terms of attracting people to download your map. Step 1 is always the description you add to your map when you submit it to a forum like this.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode
Step 2 is usually loadingscreen, since that image is displayed as a cover for your map here on the Hive.

Level 1
I FOUND A BUG. When playing multi-player, LAN, neither my brother nor I could "click" the orb shops or the spell shop. Even pressing F4 or F3 doesn't work:(

Level 3
Wow loads of comments, this is what i get for not checking so often.

Ok here i go...

Please use BB codes to update your Map Description. I will give you a fair rating once you've done that.

Okay, i have updated the description, just used loads of hidden tags.

looks plain and boring...
Okay, I'm just gonna give you the page here...
It's fairly simple in terms of attracting people to download your map. Step 1 is always the description you add to your map when you submit it to a forum like this.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode
Step 2 is usually loadingscreen, since that image is displayed as a cover for your map here on the Hive.

The map preview... I don't know why its not showing on the site but i did put one in the map, i will try update it to show the preview

I FOUND A BUG. When playing multi-player, LAN, neither my brother nor I could "click" the orb shops or the spell shop. Even pressing F4 or F3 doesn't work:(
Ok, i will see what i can do, but normally shouldn't be able to click on them anyway.

Did it happen all the time? and did it happen with the altars?

Level 1
Yes sir. It happens all the time, maybe it's a problem with the warcraft version? we tried both 1.24e and 1.26a they had the same outcomes :(

Oh and yeah we were able to, rather, I was able to click on the orb shop and spell shop on a single player game once, and I think I'm still able to now.

Edit: Bug is fixed, never mind. Thanks!:D

Last edited:
Level 4
Fun map but everyone got dced during on of the games I hosted. I was wondering whether the rest of the altars' item sets didn't give a special bonus on purpose or have you not implemented that yet. Also what is the point of the knockback? It's not like you knock people back into objects that damage them when they hit them or anything. But the knockback is cool. Maybe in a next version you can add the option to change your heroes model maybe? And in your description of the artifact sets there are 11 of them not 8.

Level 2
Map can be more smaller a bit, and like the other said, the terrain doesn't seems to be like "arena". And agree with the guy above me, what's the point of knockback? The point to win the game was kill others, yes, but that's not like "knocked out from the arena" or something more unique. I don't want you to change the map gameplay, but I just give suggestion to make modes with gameplay like that. And the bash/knocback-based ability, can you reduce the % chance? Since the Mountain King has high attack speed. Also when a player plant a bomb barrel (I don't know what's the ability name), there are a bomb barrel attached in the Mountain King's body. Or was it's supposed to be like that?
Also I have question, about the altars. Did every players have different altars? Or something that I don't know unless you told me?
That's all, beside that, everything was filled with awesomeness, the gameplay, the skill animation, etc. Even I having fun gameplay with the AI. Also I like your ideas to place doodad when a creep died, if you do something unique about the doodads.

Edit : I see your 'Map Theme' on the description, and I already understand that the destructable can be destroyed by AoE damage. But when I use Hammer Clap the doodads nearby me are not destroyed. Is this a bug? And you can make the destructable to be destroyed by knockbacked Mountain King, deals bonus damage of course, and add other nice animation, like if the destroyed doodad was glacier, add frost nova model, deals minor damage and slows nearby units.

Last edited:
Level 3
Fun map but everyone got dced during on of the games I hosted. I was wondering whether the rest of the altars' item sets didn't give a special bonus on purpose or have you not implemented that yet. Also what is the point of the knockback? It's not like you knock people back into objects that damage them when they hit them or anything. But the knockback is cool. Maybe in a next version you can add the option to change your heroes model maybe? And in your description of the artifact sets there are 11 of them not 8.

Well, actually they all are supposed to give a special ability when you have all items and learned each skills. But it could be a bug with multiplayer...

I will change the description, but im not sure about having different hero models.

Map can be more smaller a bit, and like the other said, the terrain doesn't seems to be like "arena". And agree with the guy above me, what's the point of knockback? The point to win the game was kill others, yes, but that's not like "knocked out from the arena" or something more unique. I don't want you to change the map gameplay, but I just give suggestion to make modes with gameplay like that. And the bash/knocback-based ability, can you reduce the % chance? Since the Mountain King has high attack speed. Also when a player plant a bomb barrel (I don't know what's the ability name), there are a bomb barrel attached in the Mountain King's body. Or was it's supposed to be like that?
Also I have question, about the altars. Did every players have different altars? Or something that I don't know unless you told me?
That's all, beside that, everything was filled with awesomeness, the gameplay, the skill animation, etc. Even I having fun gameplay with the AI. Also I like your ideas to place doodad when a creep died, if you do something unique about the doodads.

Edit : I see your 'Map Theme' on the description, and I already understand that the destructable can be destroyed by AoE damage. But when I use Hammer Clap the doodads nearby me are not destroyed. Is this a bug? And you can make the destructable to be destroyed by knockbacked Mountain King, deals bonus damage of course, and add other nice animation, like if the destroyed doodad was glacier, add frost nova model, deals minor damage and slows nearby units.

I think the map size is okay. Im planning to have it generate better terrain than what it has, at some later version and more game modes definately something to do.

As for the barrel on the hero, its actually the animation when you have the barrel skill. I may change it but i think its quite funny :)
And im glad you liked map.

As both of you mentioned, I will definately make knockbacked units take damage from hitting destructables and add doodad animations maybe in the next update.

Level 3
:ogre_frown:arrg... Destruction of Enviroments? hm... Thats not nice... I din't liked that... But i will test it soon as i can.. sorry if i looked.. rude but i really don't like see forests destroyed, i prefer them growing instead.

Level 3
:ogre_frown:arrg... Destruction of Enviroments? hm... Thats not nice... I din't liked that... But i will test it soon as i can.. sorry if i looked.. rude but i really don't like see forests destroyed, i prefer them growing instead.

Actually, i have yet to put trees into the list of spawning destructables but there are bushes though. Don't worry, i support the forest too :)

Level 3
Now thats better

So the Map Looks like that Rocks, i just regret SOOOO much i can't play it because of my crashed game :ogre_rage:

You should add more faction i yet believe, stil three looks pretty easy :ogre_hurrhurr:

but stil, it looks awesome.

:fp:It deserves a: 4/5 (awesome) or 5/5 (Epic):thumbs_up:

Level 23
Idk if you still work on this, but to be honest, it's not bad!
With less than 4 players it just sucks, but with more, it is kinda funny, nice items/spells etc.
One major down is that is desynches - ppl get disced randomly.
Another thing is that the water-knockback wave thingy the bot got is kinda imba/too long, since you can't walk while you're in the air.
Also dark bash + stun orb is imbalanced strong, you almost stun every time.
The random Arena is an okay idea, but it is too big for 6 players, pls make it smaller and a little bit predefined or so...

Anyway, some updates would be cool