• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Kings' Ancient Oath

Reactions: Ićpomp
263067-4f36865b87e20e73331d83175b525a42.png

King's Ancient Oath
by Kaoren

Map description

"Now hear my country lying maimed
And counting down the countless hours
Its land has longed to be reclaimed
With what has been and shall be ours."

Players : 1v1
Playable size : 84x88

Map features

- 6 Gold Mines (15k in main, 12.5k in expos)
- 2 Mercenary camps (Dungeon)
- 2 Goblin Merchants
- 2 Mana Fountains
- 1 Tavern
- 18 Creep Camps (6 - 8 - 4) with significant Undead proportion

Comments

So this is my first time making a Melee map (or rather being satisfied with the map I end up with). I didn't go too ambitious with the theme or the features, though the layout is kinda weird with the well-covered expos on the top-left and bottom-right corners (I was trying to give a Terenas' Stand vibe at first, with important chokepoints and forced detours, but the result put this in quite another dimension). I mostly watch the game and hardly play it, so I'm not entirely sure how interesting it will be from a gameplay point of view ; if it ends up being unplayable because of too easy expanding, I can still cut an additional way in place of the orange camps standing close to the mines.

Other things I'm not entirely sure of include :
- High proportion of undead creeps, which can be troublesome for Undead cause of coil resistance and non-revivability, cause I wanted to keep a "long lost kingdom" vibe overall (I tried to avoid making the most important mobs undead, apart from the fountains' ones). Also, most camps never sleep because of that.
- Kinda tight starting spots ; I felt like could fit a proper Night Elf base, but you don't have much room to mess your layout up.
- Might have taken an additional pair of green camps ? Especially considering Merchants are harder to reach for Blademaster because of non-sleeping mobs.
Hope these don't turn out to be too much of an issue.

Screenshots

kings_10.jpg

kings_11.jpg

kings_14.jpg

kings_12.jpg

kings_13.jpg

kings_17.jpg

kings_15.jpg

kings_16.jpg

kings_19.jpg

kings_18.jpg

Hope you enjoy your experience on this map ! All feedback you might have is naturally welcome !
Contents

Kings' Ancient Oath (Map)

Reviews
Remixer
Review - Kings' Ancient Oath (Version July 5th 2023) Synopsis: Kings' Ancient Oath is a visually stunning melee map for two players. The map features a mixture of different tilesets that beautifully blend, creating a layout that is quite unusual for a...

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Review - Kings' Ancient Oath
(Version July 5th 2023)
Synopsis: Kings' Ancient Oath is a visually stunning melee map for two players. The map features a mixture of different tilesets that beautifully blend, creating a layout that is quite unusual for a melee map with its narrow chokepoints and thin tree walls blocking movement.
Map Aesthetics: Simply put the map is gorgeous. The black Dalaran Ruins tiles fit so perfectly with the more vibrant colors of the grass. The tile usage is really good - in some areas, there could be some rough dirt to break the evenness, but the terrain work is art as is. There are also nice elements of environmental storytelling, which are rarely seen in melee maps. While the visuals are very nice indeed, some quite critical choke points could be widened a little for a better melee experience.
Map Layout: The layout is okay though quite restrictive. The corner expansions could be opened with an additional pathway to make them more accessible. The narrow corridors and chokepoints make the map feel quite claustrophobic. The narrow chokepoints also restrict the movement of larger armies - fortunately, the tightest spots seem to be unbuildable making it impractical to wall off areas of the map. The really thin tree walls that are the main layout-creating obstacle on the map are also interesting elements in the map as they can be broken down to get additional access points on the map.
Neutral Objectives: The neutral objectives are placed very well in terms of environmental fitting - the decoration and spacing around the camps are also mostly good (some camps could have more space to engage). The Wildkins mixed up with Murlocs is a strange combination but not extremely distracting. Other than that the creeps make nice thematically suitable camps of acceptable strength. The item drops however are quite skewed towards the strong side: usually you want to drop 1-2 items per creep camp (mostly 1) and 1 item level per 4-6 creep levels (meaning creep camp of total level 10 would drop around level 2 item). In this map, the average creep level per item level is 3 (the target average should be around 5 for common melee). The creeping route seems quite strange with the green camps scattered on opposite sides of the base but the orange camps don't seem too difficult to transition into. The neutral objectives are placed quite nicely. The Fountains of Mana are really powerful neutral buildings to have, but having them placed in a dead-end beyond a narrow passage can also easily turn them into death traps with no escape.
Map Gameplay: The game flow seems decent with two expansion mines available with relatively safe positioning. Due to narrow tree walls new passages can be created around the expansions or with other means (Blood Mage and Keeper of the Grove say hello), which can alter the game positioning in surprising ways. The lack of Goblin Laboratory can be a bad thing but it also gives more emphasis on these few heroes and strategies allowing movement otherwise not available on the map. The item drops are too good for the creeps' strength but at least they are consistently too strong.

Recommendations:
Tune down the item drop strength overall (see comments above for further info).