• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Judge Ranks?

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
This was discussed on Hive's Discord, but I turn the question to you folks.

What do you think of this idea?

To help attract/motivate members to judge contests, it was been proposed that we create a new rank icon: Judge Rank.

Members who judge at least 3 contests will get a unique rank icon, banner and the title "Certified Judge", in addition to getting their name on a Certified Judge list. Each judge must have a proven track record showing expertise in their respective field, objective reviews i.e. non-biased. Each judge must be approved by the Hive Workshop administration team. Read more: Judge Guide

It was also proposed that judges could increase their rank by judging more contests, similar to Demon ranks which can only be obtained by winning contests.

The rank(s) would be something along the lines of this:
certifiedjudgesmall.png
(Credits to @Barorque for the Orc Wig)
Also, if we were to add more judge ranks (5 total) - what should they look like?

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Based on my experience with the last Melee Mapping contest it was supposedly hard to find even two judges for the job. Ultimately the judges who judge the maps got a lot of criticism for a job done poorly (I leave it up to everyone to make up their minds regarding that themselves). So, keeping this experience in mind I can comment on this judge-badge idea.

I think it could be argued that from the contestants' perspective, it would seem less random if we had more 'staple' judges or people who were known for their ability to give fair, constructive, and unbiased feedback and ratings on maps for contests. I think it could do both ways: contestants would be more trusting towards judges and people willing to judge could actually get something more out of their efforts.

I think it is necessary for the Hive staff to keep an eye on the job that the judges do however, so it is no automation to give the Certified Judge status to everyone who judges three contests - we do not want to incentify people to act as judges three times poorly just to get a status. Perhaps there should be the chance to be rewarded for a job done "extraordinarily well" in a contest? This would motivate judges even more to give their best while judging.

Regarding what they should look like - perhaps something along the lines of Gem of True Sight, or perhaps Pearl of Vision? Though that would break the consistency of ranks consisting of Unit art.

Based on my experience with the last Melee Mapping contest it was supposedly hard to find even two judges for the job. Ultimately the judges who judge the maps got a lot of criticism for a job done poorly (I leave it up to everyone to make up their minds regarding that themselves). So, keeping this experience in mind I can comment on this judge-badge idea.

I think it could be argued that from the contestants' perspective, it would seem less random if we had more 'staple' judges or people who were known for their ability to give fair, constructive, and unbiased feedback and ratings on maps for contests. I think it could do both ways: contestants would be more trusting towards judges and people willing to judge could actually get something more out of their efforts.

I think it is necessary for the Hive staff to keep an eye on the job that the judges do however, so it is no automation to give the Certified Judge status to everyone who judges three contests - we do not want to incentify people to act as judges three times poorly just to get a status. Perhaps there should be the chance to be rewarded for a job done "extraordinarily well" in a contest? This would motivate judges even more to give their best while judging.

Regarding what they should look like - perhaps something along the lines of Gem of True Sight, or perhaps Pearl of Vision? Though that would break the consistency of ranks consisting of Unit art.
"Quality of Judging" has always been a controversial topic on the Hive so having people who are "certified" certainly goes someway to placating that. However it obviously requires a lot of time and effort to be maintained.

On the other hand, having a wee sign of appreciation for people who have been consistent judges is definitely a good idea since you really don't get much out of judging other than a small amount of exp.

So yeah I agree with what Remixer has said.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I think you could use Naga unit icons for this. It doesn't make too much sense in terms of thematically representative of judging but then again demons don't fit to winners either. The other option is neutral unit ones (bandits+dark/renegade mages/wizards, maybe even ice/dark/forest trolls, what have you).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I think this is a great idea; it doesn't really cost us anything, and yet another incentive should be useful in attracting/maintaining Judges. I don't think it'll solve all our problems, but more of a "why not?" thing.

I think Remixer raised some really good points. I also agree with having it be an item rather than a character (though if it must be a character, Barorque's wig orc is a good one).

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
On a side note:
  • 1st place: 750 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • Entry: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 25 experience points per entrant
Are we sure it's better for a judge to say get 250 exp for 10 contestants, more than 150 that an entry gets? I feel the focus should be on entries and contestant rather than judges. I daresay the latter spend less time overall than the former. Plus 250 is not that far from 450 (3rd place).

Level 51
Yes please, even if it doesn't help that much in getting judges, but it's a nice token of appreciation either way :)

Also, either Naga or Neutral makes sense.

• Naga offers clear "upgradeability" like the other races.
  • Neutral offers more variety and fits the theme of a "neutral" judge
--> Neutral also makes sense because Demons (the ranks for contest) are kinda neutral as well, so that falls in line then.

I think it would be also cool to give a unique flag rofl.

Here's a progression that might be nice thematically:

JudgeFlag.png
Judge Flag

Sapper.png
: Goblin Sapper: Goblins are legendary for their neutrality.

bronze.png
: Bronze Dragons are loyal to the one true timeline only and dont give a frick about anything else.

rexxar.png
: Our boy Rexxar, not much to be said for him besides (while being the champion of the horde) befriending Jaina and many others. Also, he's awesome.