• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Is this trigger MUI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hey guys, so I'm creating a heartbeat mechanic which kicks into effect when other players come within range of player ones unit (killer). The game is a 1v4, 1 killer vs 4 survivors.

The closer a survivor gets to the killer, the louder the heartbeats. I currently cannot test it with other players but I have been able to test it with myself (I gave player one a killer and a survivor) and it worked well. What I am wondering is if the trigger will be MUI.

Setting the variables and stuff is all fine and working, I just don't know if it will work for multiple people.

Example: Survivor 1 is within 400 units of the killer, the heartbeat should only play for the player who owns that survivor at 100% volume, survivor 2 is 800 units of the killer so the heartbeat should only be playing for him but at 65% volume.

Does the trigger below work correctly for different players?

Thanks. :)
  • Heartbeat Range
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.50 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set Temp_Point[22] = (Position of Killer)
      • For each (Integer A) from 23 to 26, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set Temp_Point[(Integer A)] = (Position of Survivors[((Integer A) - 22)])
          • Set Temp_Player = (Owner of Survivors[((Integer A) - 22)])
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Distance between Temp_Point[22] and Temp_Point[(Integer A)]) Less than or equal to 400.00
            • Then - Actions
              • Custom script: if GetLocalPlayer() == udg_Temp_Player then
              • Sound - Set volume of (Last played sound) to 100.00%
              • Custom script: endif
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Distance between Temp_Point[22] and Temp_Point[(Integer A)]) Less than or equal to 600.00
                • Then - Actions
                  • Sound - Set volume of (Last played sound) to 85.00%
                • Else - Actions
                    • If - Conditions
                      • (Distance between Temp_Point[22] and Temp_Point[(Integer A)]) Less than or equal to 800.00
                    • Then - Actions
                      • Sound - Set volume of (Last played sound) to 65.00%
                    • Else - Actions
                        • If - Conditions
                          • (Distance between Temp_Point[22] and Temp_Point[(Integer A)]) Less than or equal to 1000.00
                        • Then - Actions
                          • Sound - Play HeartBeat
                          • Sound - Set volume of (Last played sound) to 45.00%
                        • Else - Actions
                            • If - Conditions
                              • (Distance between Temp_Point[22] and Temp_Point[(Integer A)]) Greater than or equal to 1001.00
                            • Then - Actions
                              • Sound - Stop HeartBeat Immediately
                            • Else - Actions

Level 39
You've done it properly, but there are three things to note:
  • Your second to last if block checks if <= 1000 and your last if-block checks if >= 1001. So if the unit is 1000.50 away from the killer it won't play a sound! Change the last one to "> 1000.00"
  • You're referring to "last played sound", which could and will get messed up if you play any other sound via triggers. When you first play the heartbeat sound save it into a sound-type variable and then modify the volume of THAT variable instead of "last played sound".
  • You're leaking the points, so you need to clean them up after you're done with each of them: Temp_Point[(Integer A)] at the end of the loop and Temp_Point[22] after the loop. There are some leak fixing tutorials you should easily be able to find.
Why are you using such weird indices of Temp_Point and looping from 23 to 26? There's no need for that because you don't need to keep the Temp_Point locations stored any longer than this trigger takes to use them, and there are no waits. Nothing is going to get overwritten.

Instead of "Integer A/B" loops it's generally better to use your own loop counter variable: "For each integer <VARIABLE>..."

Last edited:
Level 7
You've done it properly, but there are two things to note:
  • Your second to last if block checks if <= 1000 and your last if-block checks if >= 1001. So if the unit is 1000.50 away from the killer it won't play a sound! Change the last one to "> 1000.00"
  • You're referring to "last played sound", which could and will get messed up if you play any other sound via triggers. When you first play the heartbeat sound save it into a sound-type variable and then modify the volume of THAT variable instead of "last played sound".
Oh I didn't know that would happen with the range. I'll put heartbeat sound var into an array and use it like that. Thanks for the help! :)

Level 7
I use temp point a LOT, each time I use a temp point for something, I increase what position in the array it is, this is so I can use temp point in many triggers with out having to create brand new temp point vars. I do this so if there ever is a case where temp point is used twice at the same time, it will never use the same index array because I choose a different array index each time I use it.

Also, is it more efficient using a variable loop instead of the A/B?

Lastly, that was the one thing I kept forgetting to do, clean the leaks -.- lol I'm usually good at being on top of that.

Level 39
No two triggers can execute simultaneously; as I am aware it's a limitation built into the wc3 engine that even applies to things like ExecuteFunc(). Even if it was possible for simultaneous code in wc3, long triggers run in tiny fractions of a second so the chance of any two things happening at the same time would be absolutely miniscule.

If a trigger has 0 waits in it it is impossible for any other trigger to overwrite its data while its running. Most maps don't need more than 2 or 3 TempPoints/TempUnits/TempGroups. If you are doing something with a wait or need to keep the variable around for longer than the lifetime of the trigger instance, then its better to create a one-off variable for specifically that purpose.

Level 7
No two triggers can execute simultaneously; as I am aware it's a limitation built into the wc3 engine that even applies to things like ExecuteFunc(). Even if it was possible for simultaneous code in wc3, long triggers run in tiny fractions of a second so the chance of any two things happening at the same time would be absolutely miniscule.

If a trigger has 0 waits in it it is impossible for any other trigger to overwrite its data while its running. Most maps don't need more than 2 or 3 TempPoints/TempUnits/TempGroups. If you are doing something with a wait or need to keep the variable around for longer than the lifetime of the trigger instance, then its better to create a one-off variable for specifically that purpose.

I never knew that, I'll keep that in mind thanks!

Level 7
Triggers can't run simultaneously, but they can be briefly "paused" if they fire an event from another trigger. For example, dealing damage to a unit and killing them will briefly pause your loop and run any trigger that has those events. Another example would be creating units that enter a region.
Oh Interesting, I didn't know GUI acted like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.