• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is it possible to transfer custom sound sets between maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Been working on and off as a hobby on a set of maps all using the same set of characters for the past few years. Recently made a bunch of custom sound sets for many of them. Previously I'd had to replace each internal sound file one by one for every unit in every map, so I was very excited last year to see that bit in the 1.31 patch notes about saving maps as a folder to allow easy transfer of imported files, because I assumed that meant I could copy all the custom sound sets from one map to all the others.

But this doesn't seem to be the case, now that I've finally gotten back to map editing and have actually tried it. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or if this folder system just doesn't work the way I'd thought it would.

Step by step summary of where I'm at:
I've got Map A, a big empty map where I build units and spells etc and test stuff out, and Map B, an actual adventure scenario. Both are saved as Folders.
I create a custom sound set in Map A by replacing the Crypt Lord's sound set. It looks like this:
wyktnso.png

It works in game and pressing either the sounds listed under Sounds or under Imported plays the custom sound correctly.

Map B's sound editor looks like this. No Crypt Lord under Imported.
mzeUD15.png

Then after saving, I copy the Map A\Units\Undead\HeroCryptLord folder to Map B\Units\Undead. I open up Map B, and now the sound editor looks like this:
8PlpR6b.png

Clicking on the files under Imported play the custom sounds correctly, but they haven't replaced the crypt lord sound set. A crypt lord in game is unchanged and sounds normal.

So am I doing something wrong in the copy process, or is the new folder system just a boneheaded complete waste of time? Is there any other relatively painless way to copy and replace unit sound sets en masse? Or am I just going to have to set aside a weekend or two and gruntwork my way through it one by one if I want this hero to sound like Mad Moxxi in each of the dozen maps I've made?

Level 2
Progress update. I tried copying both the Sound and the Units folder into a new map, I tried deleting the old Sound and Units folders before copying in the new one, and I tried saving the map with imported sounds as a map file instead of a folder immediately after copying the Sound and Units folders in, and none of that worked either.

But, then I tried copying in all this other crap as well as copying in both the Sound and Units folders,
7D0UVbQ.png

When I loaded it up, Map A had replaced Map B in its entirety as expected, but the imported sound set did work. So, it seems somewhere in that mess is a file or files that will hopefully make this work. I'll get to looking. I'll start with that .imp and the .w3s, those might be related to importing and sound. If neither of those work I'll just go trial and error on all of them I guess.

EDIT fifteen minutes later

AH HA! Victory is mine. It was war3map.imp. It works, I think. Not sure if it'll mess up something else down the line, but it seems like I was right. Copying over war3map.w3s screwed up all the sound variables that were already in the map and it couldn't run, but when the Sound folder, Units folder, and war3map.imp were copied from Map A to Map B, all the sound sets from Map A worked in Map B.

So,
Step by step recap of the process of importing a custom sound set from Map A to Map B:
-Replace internal sounds with custom sound files one by one in Map A
-Save both Map A and Map B as folders
-Copy the appropriate folders in the Map A folder to the corresponding location in the Map B folder, or just copy the entire Map A\Units and Map A\Sound folder to Map B
-Copy the war3map.imp file from the Map A folder to the Map B folder

Worth noting, this will replace any custom sound sets in Map B that were not in Map A. When working on projects that span multiple maps, I would recommend keeping all custom sound work confined to one master version map that can then be copied to all others to avoid conflicts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.