• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is it possible to switch from a main map to a sub-map in multiplayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi there,

So I've been working on a dungeon-crawl rpg map for quite a while, and I was wondering if it was possible to make instances within the map, like in the Frozen Throne Rexxar campaign.

I read around the internet, and was capable of finding a nice guide on how to do that with a single-player map.

But I was wondering if there is a way to do this for a multiplayer map? I saw a couple of old post saying it isn't possible, but I also know that there is a multiplayer Rexxar campaign available somewhere. So is it possible to do now? And if so, how?

Edit: My version is the last version before Reforged, so 1.31 I think

Level 18
Warcraft 3 MMORPG had achieved what you are looking for. However, the thing is that the game ran on its own server, and currently the game is on hiatus.

Within the boundaries of a map, you could use Black Mask and Fog to stimulate sub-maps. In addition, with UI manipulation, temporarily remove the vanilla UI and show a fake loading screen. Once a player enters a sub-map, manipulate the mini-map to display only the area the player is in.

MORPG - Classic RPG featured a custom mini-map way back before UI manipulation was introduced.

Last edited:
Level 4
Warcraft 3 MMORPG had achieved what you are looking for. However, the thing is that the game ran on its own server, and currently the game is on hiatus.

Within the boundaries of a map, you could use Black Mask and Fog to stimulate sub-maps. In addition, with UI manipulation, temporarily remove the vanilla UI and show a fake loading screen. Once a player enters a sub-map, manipulate the mini-map to display only the area the player is in.

MORPG - Classic RPG featured a custom mini-map way back before UI manipulation was introduced.
Interesting.

I already have "instances" within my adventure map, so I really only asked in order to possibly move them or create larger instances.

So you're saying that it is possible to create a server, and make these types of instances/sub-maps? Is there anywhere I can read about how to do this in detail?

Status
Not open for further replies.