• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Information & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightKnight

Hosted Project RUID
Level 14
cooltext394703950644704.png

Commonly Used Terms & Important Concepts:
Frame(s): the official WC3 name for the smallest blocks of UI in-game. Frames include: buttons, backdrops, text frames, and others.

Element(s): It's a custom name I gave to the UI blocks that are created inside the application. Most of them represent a single frame, so the terms of "element" and "frame" can be swapped. However, some elements consist of a group of frames tied together, like "Custom Button" and Templates.

Backdrop: It is a frame that only carries an image.

Origin: This is like the "ground" for UI building. We start building the UI up from the ground, which is the Origin. So it is the starting point.

Parent & Parent-Child Relationship: Parent-Child relationship kind of resembles a building with multiple floors. If we have a building of 8 floors, that mean each floor has built on another floor that is below it. Same-wise, a frame is built on its Parent. If the 5th floor is demolished, the 6th, 7th and 8th floor will be destroyed too. Same for Parent, if it was removed (in-game) or if it was hidden, all its Children are removed or hidden too. When looking from a plane, 8th floor will always be displayed and covering 7th floor, which would be covering 6th floor, etc., similarly, children are displayed over their parents.

Parent & Parent-Child Relationship TLDR: Child is made and put over its Parent, and can cover it. If a parent is hidden, all its children are hidden, and same for showing after hiding. What controls the order of display in-game is the parent-child relationship.

Tooltip: It's basically a tooltip seen anywhere. When hovering over the Parent, the element with tooltip on will be displayed, and is removed when hovering stops.

Does this application require coding knowledge or any previous knowledge with Frames?
/ Can I make UI without any knowledge of code, triggers, or frames?
/ I am a GUI user. Can I use this?

- Anyone can make UI. It doesn't require any coding knowledge, and the Frames' concepts can be quickly and easily picked up. GUI users can make all the UI they want. This is also the only way for GUI users to make UI without custom scripts.

How useful is this application to professional coders and veterans?
/ How professional is this application?
/ What are the capabilities of this application?
- The application makes it possible to preview the UI design. Before, the coder would need to start a test game to check the design, then go through a cycle of editing and testing to get the perfect placements and appearance. With the application, the coder doesn't need to do that, as the preview is extremely accurate (except in very rare cases).

Some of the application capabilities:
  • Examples of what can be created: buttons and backdrops of custom textures (including .dds and .blp files), text frames (including scale, color, text alignment, multi-line texts), checkbox, horizontal bars (i.e. "simplestatusbar"s), scriptDialogButton, Invisible Buttons, and pre-made collections of elements, called "Templates". (as of version 2.3)
  • Some Elements have the field "Triggered Variable", allowing for users to link GUI triggers to these elements. This allows for making functionality without knowing proper coding.
  • Easily saving the project and continue working anytime.
  • Superior way of making UI. Designs that traditionally needed 4 hours to finish can be done in 10-40 mins, and with better accuracy.

How to use the application?
- Go to Info tab -> Tutorials, and watch the videos. Alternatively, mess with it. It is easy to learn.

Can this application make functionality?
/ Does this only make the visual design, or can this also design the UI functionality?

- The application supports basic functionality, like detecting when a button is clicked as well as the clicking player and sending these information to GUI variables to run GUI triggers. It also supports Checkbox; checking and unchecking of it.

I am a GUI user and need help making functionality.
/ How can I make buttons run my GUI triggers?

- Watch this tutorial video from around minute 14.

Does the application require an internet connection?
- No. The application does not rely on an internet connection to be usable, but it uses it to load the Welcome page, the Hall of Fame page, and update the Tutorials page. To be clear, it will work with or without an internet connection.

What coding languages are supported by the application?
- The application can produce code for Jass, LUA & Typescript (TriggerHappy's Template). To support others, contact me.

What languages can the application be presented in?
- Currently only English. To support other languages, I'll need help with the translation.

How to use the exported code with LUA?
- Go to Info tab -> Tutorials, scroll down for Documentation, then find "Export" documentation

Can I make frames outside of the 4:3 area / the area bounded by the green lines?
- Yes. Go to general settings, and change Origin Mode to Console UI.

Do saved projects work in different versions?
- Yes. I made sure that all save-files will open in all versions of the application, no matter if the version is older or newer.
However: A save-file made from a new version and saved through an old version, will have its new properties (ones that aren't supported by the version saving it) deleted.

What textures are supported by the application?
- The application supports all normal image formats, as well as blp and dds formats (starting from v 2.4).

What is Hall of Fame?
- It will be used to showcase the greatest designs and ideas made with the app, along with details about the maker and the project. This is great for users to showcase their creativity and get their projects to be known.

How to enter the Hall of Fame?
- Head to Hall of Fame Submissions thread.

Attachments

• 1633469934417.png
    1633469934417.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.