• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Indexing Vanilla Warcraft 3 Attacks Solved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
So... today I solved attack indexing

Previously, people attempted to index attacks using debuffs. This wasn't possible because the data wasn't stored on the projectile. Thus, when the projectile would hit the unit, it would do something like fire events for the source, which would in turn add the debuff (ability is probably registered to some event).

So what data is on a projectile?

The target (x,y or unit)
The source
The damage

I was not sure about the third point, but I tested it, and certainly, the damage was stored on the projectile. Using a Bonus system, you can set the damage to some index and then, using a DDS, transform that damage into the actual damage using that index. This will mess up the UIs, sure, and it will force you to do custom armor types (you can't use vanilla warcraft 3 armor), and it will force you to do custom attack types (you can't use vanilla warcraft 3 attacks or attack types), but it will let you do custom attack types, custom armor types, and oh so much more.

I'm already wanting to do a few things with this

1. Accuracy based on distance and z-height

2. Custom armor types using an armor item whose item charge is the armor value (click it for more stats)

3. Custom attack types using weapon items whose item charges are attack values (click for more stats). Furthermore, these items each have their own cooldowns. Also, recall that some items enable units to target air. Brilliant? Yes. They can also have their own cooldowns.

There is oh so much you can do with attack indexing, it's unbelievable. This is a very good day for me : D. I have wanted to do attack indexing forever.

I'll release an attack indexing system soon. Right now I'm working on the documentation for the new DDS.

Level 26
Attacks like missiles are delayed before the damage event occurs. The circumstances can change meanwhile. For example the unit could shoot a frost arrow and switch to normal arrows before the first impact. You would still want to know that the first one was a frost arrow and should therefore be identified independently.

Status
Not open for further replies.