• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Imported SD model file being overridden by HD model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I have a Night Elf villager unit: It is based on the High Elf villager unit. I wanted to have both, so I exported the model and re-imported it to have 2 High Elf villagers. With this, I can now import a Night Elf villager skin in and apply it to one of the High Elf units. But I want it to be compatible with Classic graphics, so I import an older, lower-poly villager. I give them both the same file name in the Asset Manager, with the older model being set to SD. All looks good when the game runs in both SD and HD, but after one run the Asset Manager seems to override the older model with the new one (this can be seen by the file size), and now the older model no longer appears in game (unselectable shadow) but the HD version is perfectly fine.

Is this happening because they have the same name? (They have different file paths and are set separately to SD and HD) and if that is the case, how else can you alternate models between game versions?
I hope I explained that well enough as I do not quite understand what is going on here, any help is appreciated. I can try to provide more details if needed

Level 4
Sounds like a potential editor bug. Try saving the map as a folder while working on it in case that helps.
This appears to have fixed the issue, thank you so much!

EDIT: It was actually likely a corrupt import, all assets started falling apart. Was able to handle the issue, though.

If you don't mind elaborating, what is the difference between saving it just as a Scenario vs a Scenario Folder?

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If you don't mind elaborating, what is the difference between saving it just as a Scenario vs a Scenario Folder?
Scenario bundles all the map files, including imported files, into a MPQ archive either suffixed with .w3m (RoC map file, now means generic map file) or .w3x (TFT map file, no longer used but still supported for backwards compatibility). This is the form that Warcraft III uses to play maps and is how maps are sent or received online or by third party sites. Accessing individual map files requires the use of a third party MPQ editor to extract them from the archive.

Scenario Folder places all the map files, including imported files, into a normal file system folder. This form is much easier to edit and develop maps with as all map files are directly accessible by third party programs such as for version track or modification. Imports can be processed in bulk by file system file copy operations. None of the files are compressed beyond what the file system or physical drive controller perform, however this disadvantage does not really matter since this form cannot be used to distribute a map to play, only being useful for editing and development in which case it could be transferred to someone else in a zip or 7z file for possibly better compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.