• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

IDVB v1.65b

Reactions: deepstrasz and Rui
Sci-fi action of this item-and-skill-based RPG takes place in parallel universe. Any men in existence have nothing to do with their "parallel" instances and are not responsible for any events that happend in the campaign.
A bit hard and unusual gameplay, if you complete 2 first maps things will be much easier. Save often while playing.

PS A tribute to Quake-2 and Starcraft. Any feedback is welcome! Both rating and bug report.

UPDATE from 1.65 to 1.74

1) Added skip for all cinematics excluding very short videos (10-20 sec) and final ones.(2-7 chapters)
2) Yukatan Raid and Maya gold (1st and2nd playable maps) have several new quests and multiboard for hero’s performance.
3) Bugfix:
- Fixed advanced flamethrower item (now can be taken and used by a firebat)
- Fixed texture path for Guardian.mdx (The model wasn’t displayed in the game – Mars the god of war)
- Translated tooltips and corrected some (hope all of them)
- added missing icon for HP bullet (used in the final chapter)
4) Made LA quests more strict and well-structured.
5) Slightly modified terrain (tileset and doodads) for LA goodbye and ReserveID assault.
6) Replaced crystal model by Abriko which had no death animation by another one (“Energy crystal” by Rao Dao Zao with death animation) Now minerai.blp is used for this model)

Keywords:
Quake, starcraft, sci-fi, aliens
Contents

IDVB v1.74b (Campaign)

Reviews
15:57, 3rd Jul 2008 Rui: Definitely a must for people who like modern warfare gameplay styles. Approved!

M

15:57, 3rd Jul 2008
Rui:
Definitely a must for people who like modern warfare gameplay styles.
Approved!

Level 4
Credits
ART: DAVE_WWID - custom icons except for a couple icons for a Firebat hero
CREDITS:
ID SOFWARE (Sounds, Art)
BLIZZARD (!!!!!!!!)
WC3sear.ch (now hiveworkshop.com) model download pages:
Rao Dao Zao, Talon the mage, Shadow 1500, killst4r, Illidan(Evil)X, Max666, ChevronSeven, Sansui, Mc !, Subi2000, Ryoko, theJ89, !!GORO!!, Mhael , Afronight_76, Domokun, doomlegion, Pins, Trollschnitzel, goth54325_3, Ra, Markus3832, mr_psycho2000, kelna2, olofmoleman, RightField, Carrington2k, Elunes-Guardian, lami, Born²Modificate, davylink, Werewulf, General Frank

spells: Time stop - Darky 27
bomb (c4) - I don't remeber who was th author but it's from wc3sear.ch. remade as an item spell.

Excuse for some text in spell and item tips. There's some work left to complete with descriptions.
P.S. This is only part 1. So it's to be continued. Don't be disappointed by the final of the last map.

Level 4
Any comments are welcome, as beta testing was done with single maps before compiling them into a campaign file and some bugs such as clipped text or lost icons may be found.

Rating is welcome, as I have to decide whether to start work on part 2 or not.

PS: beta testing reports said the first map is the least interesting and a bit hard. Exciting gameplay starts with mission 3. If you find mission 2 too hard, type "help" ( Rocket Max's virtual clone will be spawned when you are attacked, but his death will also result in mission failure. This is also most useful only in the beginning of the maps)
Then there's also "unhelp" command.

Level 8
I'm going to be honest with you. I didn't like it.
Here are my reasons:
1. I didn't like the music in Chapter 1.
2. All the maps are RPG. That means you get a hero, you kill kill and kill. I know it's an RPG campaign but damn, some base controlling wouldn't hurt.
3. It's as if more you spent more time adding the models than working on the maps themselves.
4. Characters are flat out boring. Work more on them.
5. You cannot skip a cinematic by pressing ESC.
6. The cinematics are so short at the end of each stage.

However, the story is the first of its kind but was not properly explained. I was quite clueless about the first chapter although it did give some hints about Blizzard vs ID.

3/10 (Lacking)

Don't make part 2... work more on this 1 first.

Level 4
Apr 5, 2008 - SantaBla
"All the maps are RPG. That means you get a hero, you kill kill and kill. I know it's an RPG campaign but damn, some base controlling wouldn't hurt."

Did you ever go as far as "Mars The God of War" or "Hard Nut to Crack"? The latter has full tech tree and base development! I must add that small-squad battle tactics and item'n'skill management for heroes were meant to be the key feature for at least 4 of the 6 maps.
As for underworked flat story line, I agree. That really needs a good deal of work. As for heroes, the bad and the evil ones are to appear in the 2nd part, where one's goinng to cotrol strogg and zerg bases and more..., unless of course I give up this idea.

Level 8
Well I went through it rather quickly...
I didn't notice the base building because most them started as RPG. Anyway, keep it like that, add some custom music to all your other maps (Avoid commercial music) (it's already 29 mb, I wouldn't mind downloading some extra mb just for some music) Also work more on cinematics and chars (said that already)

Level 4
I'm just starting the skip-cinematics job. Guess, it's a must only for the long sequences such as those in the beginnig of maps and those exceeding 15 seconds. As for characters, seems a bit hard- the marines fullfilling their duty saving the world... Possibly I'll make them a bit more prominent .. a noble one, a joker, a simple guy. Possibly more clues on the plot.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Going to test it. Will edit this post when done.

EDIT:
Approved!

Review
If you cannot read what is inside this box, hold CTRL and press Plus (+). To revert, press Less (-).

[+]An unique gameplay. I doubt anyone ever made a campaign like this.
[+]Credits.
[+]A lot of custom and fitting models are always nice to see.
[+]Sound echoing, how the hell did you do that? =)
[+/-]Terrain is OK for a game such as this, but it could be better.
[+/-]I like almost every kind of music, however, not many things fit into Warcraft III, even with a theme such as this (I'm referring to the starting music if you don't realize).
[-]There was a little imbalance between items and units. You spent lots of time killing units with attacks, yet you could simply throw a grenade or use the light blaster to finish the unit at once.

The campaign type was unique, but spending minutes after minutes killing units really got the fun out of it. I believe this campaign is old, since it mentions Darky26 and wc3search, so it'll most unlikely receive improvements, I guess.

My rating for this resource is 4/5 (Recommended). I might have been bored because this is not my favorite theme (modern warfare stuff), but people who like it should really take a look.
~Thanks for using the Hive Workshop

Last edited:
Level 4
" I believe this campaign is old, since it mentions Darky26 and wc3search, so it'll most unlikely receive improvements, I guess."

- This was made about 2 years ago and then later (in2007) compiled into single w3n file, Last improvements (v. 1.74b) were done in March-May 2008. But there's a rather vague chance that I'll start work IDVB-2 in a couple of weeks ( more likely in half a year)

"Sound echoing, how the hell did you do that? =)"

When the hell does this echoing appear? I'm quite anxious to know it. One of beta-testers heard echoing when the hero(ghost in map1) moved fast, quickly changing the target point. I couldn't hear any echoing effect and deduced that was a kind of audio-card incompatibility or audio-settings problem.
My TFT version was 1.07 and later I finished the campaign in 1.18. The campaign doesnt load properly in 1.20 or later versions (Mostly because of terrain and tileset)

PS. Thanks for trying the campaign and your kind pre-review.

Level 4
Well I've got Widows HP (sp1) Core 2 duo, as for sounds - Creative X mod. Though, I also played it on standard P-4 with built-in soundcard card. None was strange with the sounds (this PC had WinXP sp2 installed). Might it be any sound options in TFT? The matter of sound is that it is triggered (I use this method: "play 3d sound attached to the triggering unit" for hero steps and gun blasts)

{EDIT}
Well, tested it with different sound options (excluding creative labs AEX2- the game didn't allow it) used TFT 1.21b - Nothing unusual. So I've come to conclusion that I might have misunderstood you. The echoing sound, if it's not the distorted repetition of the main sound, might be simply the hero steps. The steps sound was primarily intended to be played only when the hero walks on rock or stone tiles, but left as it is. It's triggered on event "the unit gets the order targetting a point" If the length of sound exceeds the time which takes the hero to reach the target point the sound is heard after the hero stops. A good thing for maya temple mission and not so good for other maps. The sound isn't always activated 'cause the trigger is switched off and after a wait is switched on again. If you do not get the very effect I described, then it's a kind of distortion and a hardware tuning or compatibility problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 2
I thought that the first mission was hard, partially because your hero's attack is underpowered (almost everything does at least the same if not more damage than you) and the huge number of goliaths that spawn after you rescue the troops from across the river. (Your men don't stand a chance against 3+ goliaths) Yes, I agree with Rui, the items are overpowered and the hero's attack is weak. Also, the lockdown spell could be changed so that it works like storm bolt with no damage and a high stun instead of aerial shackles (so It is more like it is in starcraft). Also, some of the quests came up blank. However, I liked the quests and RPG elements, but there were some gameplay flaws.

Level 4
Well, at least Goliaphs quest is a bit too hard. But I managed to complete it without casualties. The key to success was medic, AOEhealth, medkit, lightblaster, grenades and switching off chanelling as the next Goliaf appears. But stun buff with some defensive-matrix effect could be easier and better- but it will take all excitement out of this quest. Possibly areial shakles must have a faster cooldown. And which quests appeared blank? Was it after skipping cinematics or not?
Well I have one more question? The campaig consists of 8 chapters. Has anybody played it as far "Mars the God of war"? May it happen so that chapters are inaccessible? Also giving a cheatcode "help" wich will help those who like the campaign and want to make the gameplay a bit easier.

Level 4
NOTE: IDVB Part 2 has been delayed. A single-player 1-map epic RPG project under working title IDVB-3 "5.56" has been started, which will feature new equipment system, charge-coupling and advanced weapon-skill system. Will be also quite interesting for Fallout fans.

Level 4
CaptianBadAss, Glad he liked it, cause it is a rather specific and hard to play rpg and besides isn't designed for hardcore players. It's for those who like exploring maps selecting necessary items and distributing 'em among heroes and load carriers and planning your actions (Though it has some timer-based quests)

Level 4
um plz help me. i have DL a few maps so far but i dont know were to put them!!! :cry: i have no idea were to save the files to and i really want to play them.PLZ HELP ME !!! :eekani:
If you have dl w3n files you must put them in campaign folder (mine must be put in this manner - example- C:\games\warcaft3\campaigns\idvbXXX.w3n ) w3x files can be in any subdirectory of maps directory or just in "maps" folder - example- C:\games\warcaft3\maps\mymaps\

Level 3
Awsome campaing. I downloaded it a few days ago and i can say i would vote with recommended :)
All those custom items and custom models ...
The whole campaing is hard but that makes it interesting.
I think i will played the last map soon :)

Level 4
Glad you like it, Pecki . I woud find it quite valuable if you wrote any bug reports, if there are any, and mention TFT version. The campaign was tested with 1.18-1.20 versions. Suppose you"ve got 1.24. So it might be buggy a bit, but not necessarily, as game cash isn"t used.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
This is/was quite interesting. It reminded me of some games: Tomb Raider (first ones) and Hostile Waters.
The thrill was kept in the second, third and antepenultimate levels.

chap2:
-well finding a machine gun on the sand like that...
-the Megahealth does not disappear after the hero takes it. It's a rune based item. Should look different so it won't be confused with other in inventory first aid items
-should mention that the area health generator is not a healing ward but a scroll of healing
-other Marines should be able to use first aid kits
-well they could've ran when seeing the c4 being operational...
-"that's a trap!" but there was no ambush nothing. The guy just ran and became an enemy...
-shotgun title says +9 but its description says it increases firepower by 6
-the invisibility ability does not say how much it lasts
-abilities need hotkeys
-in the end cutscene the hero was shooting an enemy near him while he was invulnerable from the trigger. Then he went into the temple

chap3:
-if John is too close to the rocks the c4 might spawn behind him blocking him there
-if the player doesn't save before the zerg waves come while protecting Carmack and the turrets aren't placed correspondently, the level must be restarted. I suggest some kind of auto save
-the porter can be used for exploration at some extent
-after the zerg start appearing, the heroes are practically left with no ammunition. There's none in range
-only when Romero takes the sentry turret near the water in the northeast, does the custscene with him informing about the multiple scan reading start. Why would snakes and spiders come there?
-Carmack and Romero have the same hero icon
-zerg start attacking the portal near the generators without the lever being touched
-reaching the second portal with only one of the heroes ensures victory

chap4:
-units selected during cinematic mode
-SCVs have psionic shields!?
-Bill Linton's "Guys I think you have to destroy the ID's base..." is written two times in the same text message
-Command Centers and probably other buildings can be built on mineral fields
-basically there's no difference between the troops of ID and the player's
-there were enough minerals: the ones in the base+those in the west. There was no need for the destruction of the enemy base with the sole purpose of gathering resources

LA chapter:
-loading screen looks that of a melee map
-why not let the score screen after each mission pop? I don't want to use a chronometer...
-using the porter is kind of like cheating in this mission
-level 2 Healt Projector heals 0 hit points (description)
-Advanced Flamethrower's icon when the game is paused looks like a Firebat's
-more than 1 armor can be worn by Mick

chap6:
-Submerger regenerates
-grenade (B), then under it: grenade (W) which is actually the right one
-Wong Mercs regenerate their energy so slow that it's like they don't and some have energy but no abilities to use it
-the Destroyer can be stunned...
-the submarine can travel submerged on shallow water but cannot submerge while on it
-better units and turrets descriptions wouldn't hurt: attacks land and/or air units etc.
-Firebats can attack Apaches but Mick can't...
-Siege Tanks train faster than Marines and Firebats
-Advanced Command center turns to the direction it uses the scan. This buildings is also considered an organic unit and cannot be repaired by the SCVs
-SAMs can be build very near of each other and their animations collide
-SCVs regenerate HP
-they attack with Apaches from the south then from the north and then stop
-the upkeep is strange in this mission, high only accounts for 3 food slots
-are you kidding? They only trained their units from one Barracks and a Factory?
-almost ran out of resources
-the two rescued Marines talking about a surprise attack. What surprise since their only training facilities were destroyed before reaching them... Well actually some troopers attacked after that because they still had a Barracks in the south
-not fair. They can lift their Advanced Command Center and the player can't

chap7:
-why are the Mutants (=/= Strogg soldiers) allied with ID?
-don't know why Romero can choose nuclear strike so soon because he still needs plus 160 energy to be able to use it
-there are two Potions of Healing in the east near some Mutants, instead of first aid kits
-there's no explanation as to why the Goliath joins the party
-the terrain could use some more love. It's mostly flat and not detailed
-Goliath can't be healed but at least it regenerates. It's not really logical though
-it's understandable for the aerial ambushes but for the infantry ones, not really. Where do they come from suddenly?
-the guards don't even move when the Generator (force field) is being attacked
-thing is, garrisons can be broken through bit by bit using the abilities the heroes have
-well it's easy getting to Carmack, not much of a protection and the level ends. The rest of the ID base remained unexplored
-Carmack's portrait during his transmission is that of Romero

I really recommend it. There may not be another like this one on the Hive, especially not one with ID and StarCraft units. It also has melds RPG with real time tactics and RTS.
The levels are big and there's plenty of stuff to do in them. Few are the times when things start feeling repetitive.