• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Idealist Challenge: Anonymity

Keep?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I vote for yes for anonymity for poll reasons and also for judging. Because people should vote for the entry for its good or appealing to them not who they are in hive.

I don't think that people are that biased by big names and vote just for their fame or noteworthy around.

I'd say competitiveness and quality still (thank god) matter a lot.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I voted no. I don't really care about the idea itself, but I think it sucks that one can't respond to critizm due them giving away their identity by doing so.

Also it's rather ineffective to PM wips to the host rather than just posting it in the thread.

Your identity and giving the WIP to the host serves two reasons:

1. If users post their WIP's wherever they want all over the entire thread, its a game of "Let's find the WIP" for the host and the judges. Updating it is a nightmare, and many of the
users will just post another WIP and another... it quickly becomes "Who's brilliant idea was this?". Judges will have to micro-manage the entire thread because any moment few
users can flood the gates with WIP's and finished works. And not to mention that the main thread, the first page will be more or less useless. Instead of everyone going to the
first page to find new wips and new finished works in a nicely stylized table of sorts, they have to travel down X+ pages, trying to find which is new, which is old, which is WIP, which
isn't, which is finished...

2. Criticizing a wip isn't effective. You can criticize how it is atm, but being a WIP that only gives the contestant bad information so that they change it the way you would like it to be seen. Its not you (or whoever is a judge) to shape the future of that WIP. The author has 100% freedom within the limits of the contest to make whatever they want of the WIP and the judge will only score it based on the final product, not early in development where they can falsely "steer" the idea into the judge's direction of what that judge likes and dislikes.
This is a really bad idea imo because judges are seen as people to please in order for your idea to be valid INSTEAD of being creative and original and not giving a flying fuck who
likes it or dislikes it.

Anonymity is important so that everyone gets a fair chance. I admit, I did the 2nd contest wrong. If I host the next, every user will be given the same template and WIP's will only be shown after at least 5+ participants all give their wips so all this drama "I know which is which" can be void.

I vote yes to keeping the anonymity.

For reason 1, the main post can link to a contestant's official entry post, which they can in turn update.

And for #2, the same is happening right now, just that removing anonymity will allow the contestants to respond. You are correct, the author has 100% freedom. The best criticism can do is inspire, or help correct some balancing. Like a mod moderating, the judge generally gives both fact and opinions. In the end, it is the author who decides what direction to go with his concept.

..Does that mean I won't be using the borders I already made for sci fi? ;_;

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Your identity and giving the WIP to the host serves two reasons:

1. If users post their WIP's wherever they want all over the entire thread, its a game of "Let's find the WIP" for the host and the judges. Updating it is a nightmare, and many of the
users will just post another WIP and another... it quickly becomes "Who's brilliant idea was this?". Judges will have to micro-manage the entire thread because any moment few
users can flood the gates with WIP's and finished works. And not to mention that the main thread, the first page will be more or less useless. Instead of everyone going to the
first page to find new wips and new finished works in a nicely stylized table of sorts, they have to travel down X+ pages, trying to find which is new, which is old, which is WIP, which
isn't, which is finished...
There are many workarounds. While this is an issue, it's easy to fix.

1. Force those who join to only post their hero once and keep editing that specific post. One can notify everyone once it's updated by just saying "I updated my hero blah, blah *link to post*"

2. Add a really clear title. If you do something like:
Hero Name - WIP
hero Name - Final Entry
The host should be able to find the latest version easily.
2. Criticizing a wip isn't effective. You can criticize how it is atm, but being a WIP that only gives the contestant bad information so that they change it the way you would like it to be seen. Its not you (or whoever is a judge) to shape the future of that WIP. The author has 100% freedom within the limits of the contest to make whatever they want of the WIP and the judge will only score it based on the final product, not early in development where they can falsely "steer" the idea into the judge's direction of what that judge likes and dislikes.
This is a really bad idea imo because judges are seen as people to please in order for your idea to be valid INSTEAD of being creative and original and not giving a flying fuck who
likes it or dislikes it.
I was speaking as someone who joined the first idealist challenge and not as a judge. It's frustrating to not be able to reply to those who talk about your creation.
Anonymity is important so that everyone gets a fair chance.

The difference should be really minor.

Status
Not open for further replies.