• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

(Idea) Multi-texturing contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
the%20hive%20workshop.png

Multi.jpg
texturing.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png

Theme here
Explanatory here

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the skin submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in-game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • The files in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Textures must be no larger than 512 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry.
    You may work in 1024 (or higher), but the textures must be resized down to 512 pixels on equal dimension textures when submitted.
  • You must choose multiple units and turn them to fit the theme.
  • Your chosen units must be existing as official WCIII models and you may not edit the models in any way.
  • You should have a minimum of (insert number here) units before the deadline done.
prizes.png

• First Place: (highest amount) reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: (middle amount) points and an award icon
  • Third Place: (lowest amount) points and an award icon

judges.png

• No judges yet

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Shading
Do the units fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Do the units have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?/30%

Concept
Do the designs of the units suit the models they are wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the models into something new? Do the units fit into the style of WCIII or is it too creative?/40%

Details
Do the units appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials used easily recognized?/30%
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on DATE and conclude on DATE, 12:00 PM GMT

This is something I had in mind. Someone interested in this? Of course the contest could run for a 3 months or so.
And because this requires more working on than a regular texturing contest, the rep amount (for the first place) shouldn't be under 70.

Now, about the theme. I'd not place the theme right at the beginning, but rather see what people'll think about this.

I suggest a race-re-texture (if someone's got better ideas, post down below people!)

(Don't ask why i modified the rules or something, this is just a template if this gets approved)

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I like it. As for theme, I think the we'd have to specify what kind of units for a race, or something like that, rather than specifying a theme for a contest like this.

Level 10
I like it. As for theme, I think the we'd have to specify what kind of units for a race, or something like that, rather than specifying a theme for a contest like this.

Well, the first one could be something like the basic units of the races.
The participator should be able to create a new race from the already made races and creeps. YES, I'M REFFERING A LITTLE TO YOUR INIQUIT HOUND ^^

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Yeah, basically, you'd make several skins within a certain theme and the judging criteria would simply be how consistent the theme is compared to others, rather than who follows the theme the best.

As for my Iniquits, they're coming eventually. P:

Level 38
There was a texturing contest hosted a few years back were all the contestants were required to create 2 skins that were supposed to complement each other by being opposite. Only one person finished the contest.

I'm not sure multiple skins is the greatest idea, maybe multiple models from the same skin *cough* doodads *cough*. To get contestants more willing to do multiple skins perhaps it should be for 2 units that have a lot of similarities in their unwraps (archer, ranger, jaina) (grunt, felguard, beastmaster) (murloc, ghoul) or do something like create one skin with 2-3 well thought out color variations (fel guard, overlord) (murloc, mur'gul) etc.

Level 10
There was a texturing contest hosted a few years back were all the contestants were required to create 2 skins that were supposed to complement each other by being opposite. Only one person finished the contest.

I'm not sure multiple skins is the greatest idea, maybe multiple models from the same skin *cough* doodads *cough*. To get contestants more willing to do multiple skins perhaps it should be for 2 units that have a lot of similarities in their unwraps (archer, ranger, jaina) (grunt, felguard, beastmaster) (murloc, ghoul) or do something like create one skin with 2-3 well thought out color variations (fel guard, overlord) (murloc, mur'gul) etc.

Well, that was maybe because they didn't have time or something. If we actually make it so that the people are interested into it, then it would maybe be a success. We could make a 2-team of 2 texturers working on 2 different textures.... that turn out to look like 1 race... that would be interesting as well. But I know that wouldn't turn out too good, because there would be always some differences.

OR, WE COULD make this: create one skin with 2-3 well thought out color variations. I find this to be a great idea.

Level 38
Well, that was maybe because they didn't have time or something. If we actually make it so that the people are interested into it, then it would maybe be a success.

I'm not so sure time was the major factor in that contest,so much as the workload. It's hard enough to get people to see a contest through with just creating one texture. The harder a contest is perceived to pull off, the less people enter, and broader themes tend to be better for creativity and easily defining, and as you pointed out interesting.

We could make a 2-team of 2 texturers working on 2 different textures.... that turn out to look like 1 race... that would be interesting as well. But I know that wouldn't turn out too good, because there would be always some differences.

The paired modeling/texturing contest proved team contests can be done, though I'm not sure the implementation would be as sound with two of the same resource type.

OR, WE COULD make this: create one skin with 2-3 well thought out color variations. I find this to be a great idea.

I like that idea to ;)

Level 10
I'm not so sure time was the major factor in that contest,so much as the workload. It's hard enough to get people to see a contest through with just creating one texture. The harder a contest is perceived to pull off, the less people enter, and broader themes tend to be better for creativity and easily defining, and as you pointed out interesting.

Well, if we were to make something like a contest where you have to reskin 2 TOTALLY DIFFERENT MODELS, then it should be, of course, some simple not complicated theme.

The paired modeling/texturing contest proved team contests can be done, though I'm not sure the implementation would be as sound with two of the same resource type.

You know, it would be something like this:
-Ok, let's make a golem.
-Ok.
2 weeks later:
-Let's go with 2 fire golems. Frost doesn't seem... cool.
-But we said they would be 2 frost golem... Why do you keep fucking it up?
-eaeasrfar
-adwadwa...

And you see where it's going. If one screws up, he loses his will to finish. And so... that happens.

I like that idea to ;)

Well, it was your idea in the first place ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.