• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Border Sprites from Steam

This bundle is marked as pending. It has not been reviewed by a staff member yet.
Hi!

I took 66 Steam profile picture border animations from the Steam Shop and turned it into Warcraft 3 models to use it as Sprite type Frames.

Some quirks about my models:
-Steam's original resolution is 224 pixel. I tried to make a reasonable concession between file size and quality.
-My models are 102 pixel * 102 pixel
-In the BLP converter I created 80% quality (20% loss) conversion.
-The center of the sprite texture will be anchored to the bottom left of the frame you create, so you might need to play around with an offset. (I planned to align bottom left to bottom left, but being clueless about War3 modeling, I could not figure out what to edit in the geoset)
-Place the .blp files in the root path (cut the war3imported thing), and the .mdx anywhere.
-Unless you want to make this clickable or obstruct clicks, you should give set it the minimum size possible, because the AbsPoints of the frame (for example, FRAMEPOINT_BOTTOMLEFT) do not determine the visible size of the sprite model. BlzFrameSetScale determines the size you see. The BlzFrameSetAbsPoint just determines where it is on your screen, and the area of screen it will cover (e.g. the area of screen where it will annoyingly block clicks). So I personally just set the AbsPoints 0.001 apart.

Here is some JASS code to create them:

JASS:
local framehandle frameVariable
set frameVariable = BlzCreateFrameByType("SPRITE", "yourName", BlzGetOriginFrame(ORIGIN_FRAME_WORLD_FRAME, 0), "", 0)
call BlzFrameSetAbsPoint(frameVariable, FRAMEPOINT_BOTTOMLEFT, 0.1, 0.2)
call BlzFrameSetAbsPoint(frameVariable, FRAMEPOINT_TOPRIGHT, 0.1001, 0.2001)
call BlzFrameSetModel(frameVariable, "zupfireball.mdx", 0)
call BlzFrameSetScale(frameVariable, 1.0)
call BlzFrameSetEnable(frameVariable, false)

Here is the LUA code to create them:

In the description

Here is how to create them in GUI:

LEARN TO CODE, lmao. jkjk

There are 20 + 5 further icons by Hate here and here. On the gif you can see in this post showcasing the sprites, the first 25 are from Hate, and that's where you can download those.

Special thanks to Hate. To Nazarpunk and TriggerHappy and this XGM tutorial.

Do you want to create your own gifs?
I created a quick tutorial!
Contents

Achilessilver (Model)

Advers (Model)

Agilityred (Model)

Bfocircleofepic (Model)

Blackmist (Model)

Blizard (Model)

Blood (Model)

Blueglow (Model)

Bones (Model)

Chainblue (Model)

Chaingold (Model)

Cloud (Model)

Devastator (Model)

Doka2golden (Model)

Fakehostel2 (Model)

Fakehostel3 (Model)

Fakehostel4 (Model)

Federationpilot (Model)

Fill (Model)

Fire (Model)

Fireframe (Model)

Firegreen (Model)

Firepurple (Model)

Firered (Model)

Foggyembrace (Model)

Frameblue (Model)

Frostframe (Model)

Ghost (Model)

Goldenbrown (Model)

Greenmagic (Model)

Heartavatar (Model)

Hexshield (Model)

Hextech (Model)

Ionized (Model)

Lastprismrainbow (Model)

Lavasparks (Model)

Lightning (Model)

Lightningstrike (Model)

Mistyradius (Model)

Movavi (Model)

OilOil (Model)

Ooze (Model)

Orangegodrays (Model)

Otherside (Model)

Pinkmagic (Model)

Pinksparkle (Model)

Portalblue (Model)

Portalorange (Model)

Purplemagic (Model)

Radiantquake (Model)

Redstars (Model)

Royal (Model)

Shadowfire (Model)

Shininghellpoint (Model)

Squarergb (Model)

Sunburn (Model)

Torch (Model)

Trader (Model)

Undisputedglitch (Model)

Violetbroken (Model)

Vortex (Model)

Vzerthosclassic (Model)

Waitcake (Model)

White (Model)

Yueqingshu (Model)

Zupfireball (Model)

Level 17
Attached is a map where you can check all these sprites, including Hate's sprites in action ingame.

You might need to enable jasshelper in the trigger editor, including vJass as I used globals. Oopsie.

I use a 0.04 size Footman icon and surround it with the sprites models I scaled to 0.46669 of their original size (sized my sprites like that, at least).
There is also a 0.03 size trigger (just disable the 0.04 one and enable the 0.03 one). There the sprites are scaled to 0.35.

Attachments

• SteamSpritesShowcase.w3x
    36.2 MB · Views: 33
Hey, these are really cool. I will be testing several of them in my project to see if I find a better fitting sprite frame model than the one I'm currently using. I'm curious as to how you're converting these from the Steam shop though. I have a fair bit of Steam point and I'm now considering buying some of them.

lol nevermind, I see you made a guide.

Last edited:
Level 17
Hey, these are really cool. I will be testing several of them in my project to see if I find a better fitting sprite frame model than the one I'm currently using. I'm curious as to how you're converting these from the Steam shop though. I have a fair bit of Steam point and I'm now considering buying some of them.
Hey there!
Thanks!
You do not need to spend points in the Steam shop to download the gifs or (mostly apng format .png extension files). Just go to the steam shop in your internet browser (not the steam app), right click, save file.

I created a quick, not so super, but usable tutorial just in case someone wants to rip others, or needs a different size / compression quality. It was in the end of the description:
Gif 2 Warcraft 3 Sprite Tutorial

Message me if you need help.