• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I Need Help For Attaching Weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
ive done it before but only once on my medieval peasant wars map... i used the sphere ability from the human\hero folder but they said u can also use triggers (probrably also use the frost orb item and change the orb into the weapon model)

its been to long to remember what i did but it was like attachement point was hand,left and then you change the animation model to the imported item...

remember i only did this once though lol

Level 5
you do use triggers. the orb doesnt work right sometimes. you use the condition "unit has item of type" and then the action "attach special effect to unit" and the event "unit aqquires item."
for a list of attach points:

Attachment Point Names:
overhead (floats over the unit's head, but doesn't sway with the head as it animates)
head (sways with the unit's animation)
chest
origin (usually at the base of a unit's feet)
hand
foot
weapon (for heroes)
sprite (for buildings)
medium (for buildings)
large (for buildings)
Attachment Point Modifiers:
left
right
mount (for mounted units)
rear (for quadrupeds)
first (for buildings)
second (for buildings)
third (for buildings)
fourth (for buildings)
fifth (for buildings)
sixth (for buildings)
rallypoint (for buildings)

thx to muiz1988 for the list!!!

------AlphaChicken

Level 14
My attachment triggers work, but when I'm in the game, and the weapon is supposed to appear, the game crashes and I get an error message saying that the file couldn't be read or something. Am I using the wrong file type(I'm using .MDX)? Do I need a different editor(I'm using the Frozen Throne WE)?

Level 14
I get this error message when I try to put a model onto my maps:

WORLDEDIT caused an invalid page fault in
module WORLDEDIT.EXE at 016f:004ada18.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=016f EIP=004ada18 EFLGS=00010246
EBX=00000080 SS=0177 ESP=00bcf034 EBP=00bcf040
ECX=00000000 DS=0177 ESI=025f1d14 FS=0ef7
EDX=00000000 ES=0177 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 1c 08 03 c1 8b ca c1 e1 04 03 cf 8b 39 2b fb
Stack dump:
00000001 00561316 04900b84 00bcf06c 004ae131 40e00000 0802aaec 0046744d 00000001 00000000 04900b84 00000007 00000000 027f0e7f 00bcf108 004121e9

What does this mean and what should I do? (My units are all about half the size of what they normally would be for many game reasons, so how can I put some functional models and attachments on them?)[/i]

Level 14
This particular model was the "archmage staff," which was one of the weapon models you would use to attach to someone. Anyway, I don't think it's the model that's awry, then again, it was the only one that crashed the game in that situation. It happens when I try to give an item a certain model, I think. I mentioned the size of the units because I was able to load a "unmounted death knight" model successfully in another map without the size alterations, but even that became impossible in this new map I'm working on, regardless of unit scaling value, so I'm ultimately at a loss as to what it could be.

Level 14
Actually, it happens with all the weapon models I load onto the items. For example: I place trigger that's supposed make a sword appear when a unit acquires that kind of sword, and once the unit gets the sword, the game crashes. For the units, it just gives me the big green checker box in the editor, and they don't load in the game. I think theres a recent post that covers this, (deals with renaming the file paths) but is my game supposed to crash when the models can't load?

Level 14
Sorry for putting so many posts in a row, but I'm conducting "experiments" with the map, and I think the results should help you help me...anyway, when I renamed all the file paths the way they were on the website, some of the normal units didn't show up anymore. I'm guessing this is because the mods took the file paths of the units, so how do I avoid that?

Level 8
The only way to avoid that is to put the models in a different location. As long as the *skin* doesn't overwrite the original skin, then it'll be fine. Models don't actually need a specific directory to rest in, but skins have to be exactly where the model looks for them, or they won't show.

About weapons.
Instead of using any triggers for them at all, try thus:
Take the "Slow Aura (Tornado)" ability and nerf it so it does nothing. Change the speed reduction to 0.00, change the radius of effect to 0.00, and set the targets to None.
Then set the art of the slow aura to be your weapon model, the attachment point to be hand,right (or whatever), and the number of attachments to be 1.
Add the Slow Aura ability to the item.

This should add the effect to the user of the item without using any triggers, which at the very least will tell you if there's something flawed with your trigger. Personally, I prefer this method to having a trigger do it, but if you need to have many abilities on your items you'll run into the item max quickly, which means you won't have room for special effect art.

Even still, some of the abilities that you're using on the items might support art for the user, and you could use those instead of the dummy spell.

While you're at it, why don't you use the
Code:
 tags and paste your special effect trigger here so we can look at it and debug.

Level 14
I already deleted those triggers some time ago, and I don't think I need to remake them if I'm not going to use them, but if I were to do so, I'd actually use two triggers for the items:

To get an item:
Event- Unit acquires an item

Condition- Itemtype of item being maniuplated = (Item)

Action-
1)Create special effect (some weapon) at point (I used chest to test it since I didn't have the arm,left/right thing figured out.)

2) Set variable- [Special effect variable] = last created special effect

Then it would be:
Event- Unit loses an item, unit pawns an item

Condition- Itemtype of item being manipulated = (Item)

Action-
1) Destroy special effect [special effect variable]

Never got to test this cause the item didn't show up or the game would crash, but I think that's because of the file paths.[/list]

Status
Not open for further replies.