• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

I Have Some Skining Qestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Okay I decided to try out skining :D and i decided to play around with it to get a feel for what im doing (this is my first time skining). Heres my qestions.

when i pick my model in the W3V (Warcraft3 Veiwer) then I click the little button in the Treeveiw named BLP right?

Then i save it and open photoshop, Then convert the colors ect.
Then what do I do?

Im at the point where i have my skin in Photoshop im done coloring it what do i do next? the tutorials tell me what to do but they don't show me how...

So if someone could tell me what next and where to find it at.

PS:I got Photoshop Pro 7, And if someone could walk me through this I'd appricate (<------I don't think i spelled that right lol) it

Level 45
make sure you export as tga so it retains alpha channel(for transparency and teamcolour). Open the tga, do, whatever with it, save as tga. Go to wc3viewer, go to the last menu tab, and click on tga,bmp,jpeg>blp and set the compression to 75(100 will cause large file size)

also, a side note, make sure you save/keep your skins in the dimensions of 64,128,256,512,1024 etc
eg.
256x256-pixels
or
256x128-pixels

Level 32
Once you have completed the steps that Werewulf has outlined, the artwork phase of your skinning project is complete. You must now import the model and its associated .blps into your map.
  • Open your World Editor's Import Manager and select "Import File."
  • Browse to the folder that contains the .mdx and .blp files and import them.
  • Right Click on the imported .blp and select "Modify File Properties."
  • Set the path identical to wherever you first exported it from. For example, if the model is Acolyte.mdx, the proper skin path is: Textures\Acolyte.blp.
  • Open the WE Object Editor and select a unit, then browse to the field: Art - Model File
  • Double click this field to edit its value.
  • Change the radio button from "Preset" to "Import" and select the imported .mdx file.
Your custom skin should now be used by the selected unit.

Note: This applies the skin to ALL units of the type selected. To use BOTH the original AND custom skins in the same map, simply copy a unit and "Paste As Custom Unit" then apply the imported model to only the latter.

Level 7
I noticed that TGA does retain alpha but I myself have a question.In gimp I've been trying to figure It out but Im stumped I need to know how to alpha I tryed the tutorial but nada any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.