• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I have ASRock G41C-GS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
It supports pretty much any GPU. It has a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot, so you should be fine. I don't know if the newest and fastest cards on the market will give you full performance with PCI 2.0 as I haven't read up on it, so whichever card you're thinking of buying, check if it runs fine on PCIe 2.0

The 7xxx series from AMD and 6xx series from Nvidia, both run fine on PCIe 2.0, so if you're thinking of one of these, you'll be fine :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
There is no virtually no difference in peformance between 2.0 and 3.0. Heheh, get it.. virtually ;)
Yet it has twice the transfer rate... If by virtually you mean huge then yes.

It means the CPU can transfer twice as much data per unit time and halves the delay caused by transfer rate. Although it might not really be visible in most tasks, if the GPU ever runs out of memory it will perform over twice as fast over 2.0 and tasks that require huge data bandwidth such as GPGPU also work faster. Emulators of shared memory architectures like used in the Wii also should run faster as a big problem is latency caused by continuous GPU <-> CPU transactions of frame buffers.

Obviously it is not needed, I use 2.0 and play D3 and SC2 perfectly. However it should not be written off as pointless if it will not cost you anything extra.

Level 27
Well you surely know that current GPU's do not even sature the PCIe 2.0 slot so if he were to buy a graphics card now and put it in there he wouldn't really benefit from buying a new 3.0 motherboard. He doesn't have the best one but i doubt he is going to use any advanced features of a more expensive motherboard, and i also doubt he is going to buy something like a 7990 with a motherboard like that.

My 7950 is also still in a 2.0 slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.