• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I called it boys - Cyberpunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Just as expected, the signs were everywhere: from 8 years of development, to multiple delays, to no legitimate pre-release game footage (only promotional material), etc.

Will people learn to not trust Hype-trains now? One can only hope...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I kind of feel sorry for the developers given that with the hype it basically became impossible for them to make a game that the people would be happy with. Throwing more money at a problem does not necessarily solve it as it will increase expectations and at the end of the day you will hit limits. This is especially the case with the PS4 and Xbox One ports where the hardware clearly cannot cope due to all the modern hardware targeted features they added in.

I suspect Star Citizen will end up in a similar place.

Level 11
I kind of feel sorry for the developers given that with the hype it basically became impossible for them to make a game that the people would be happy with. Throwing more money at a problem does not necessarily solve it as it will increase expectations and at the end of the day you will hit limits. This is especially the case with the PS4 and Xbox One ports where the hardware clearly cannot cope due to all the modern hardware targeted features they added in.

I suspect Star Citizen will end up in a similar place.
I really don't feel sorry for them, considering that devs themselves went out there and were lying to everyone in broad daylight. They could have delivered something of GTA-level and people would be happy. Hey, it wouldn't change the entire industry as they wanted, but it would be decent game. Instead of that, they decided to lie to the public and scam people for profit. That is inexcusable.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I really don't feel sorry for them, considering that devs themselves went out there and were lying to everyone in broad daylight. They could have delivered something of GTA-level and people would be happy. Hey, it wouldn't change the entire industry as they wanted, but it would be decent game. Instead of that, they decided to lie to the public and scam people for profit. That is inexcusable.
You mean management right? Since all the people working to make the game were behind NDAs so could not reveal details about the project they were working on, only management could (even if some of them were also developers). Such a game must have had thousands of such non-management people working on it who's talents could have been put to use on other games during that time.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
In the news:

- CD PROJEKT RED gaming studio hit by ransomware attack - BleepingComputer

"CD PROJEKT RED, the video game development studio behind Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher trilogy, has disclosed a ransomware attack that impacted its network. [...]

The attackers claim in the ransom note left on CD PROJEKT RED's encrypted systems that they were able to steal the full source code of Cyberpunk 2077, the Witcher 3, Gwent, as well as for an unreleased Witcher 3 version. They also allegedly exfiltrated accounting, administration, legal, HR, and investor relations documents before encrypting the company's systems. [...]

"Although some devices in our network have been encrypted, our backups remain intact," the gaming studio added. "We have already secured our IT infrastructure and begun restoring the data." [...]"

- Cyberpunk 2077 bug fixed that let malicious mods take over PCs - BleepingComputer

... oh the irony...

pyf

pyf

Level 32
As of this writing, there is afaik still no evidence those criminals managed to steal any data before the encryption process. In the days/weeks ahead, I guess we will know more about the attack itself.

I hope this will not indirectly put the future of GOG.com in jeopardy. For the record, GOG.com is operated by GOG sp. z o.o., which is a wholly owned subsidiary of CD Projekt S.A.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
As of this writing, there is afaik still no evidence those criminals managed to steal any data before the encryption process. In the days/weeks ahead, I guess we will know more about the attack itself.
I wonder if they will follow through on their threat and release the source code. [...]
Uh-oh...

Hackers auction alleged stolen Cyberpunk 2077, Witcher source code - BleepingComputer

"[...] BleepingComputer has contacted CD Projekt to confirm if this leaked data is legitimate but has not heard back."

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32

pyf

pyf

Level 32
There already was a mention about this other game in the news article I had posted on February 11 (in the paragraph titled 'Alleged Gwent source code released for free').

I acknowledge the fact that I have *deliberately* not posted links on THW to everything I have been reading on that subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.