• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Need Info] Human build from wc3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Is it possible to make something build and repair like a peasant from wc3? as in it is on the side of the building and you can move it off the building if you like without "halting" construction.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Is it possible to make something build and repair like a peasant from wc3? as in it is on the side of the building and you can move it off the building if you like without "halting" construction.
SCV build mechanics do this to some extent. Any variance should be modifiable or adjustable to suit your needs. SCV repair is identical to human repair. SCV build by default only supports 1 builder (seen it allowing more) and that builder is by default locked onto the site (you can order it free explicitly).

Check out the Russian WC3 re-creation SC2 mod as chances are that author has got a pretty close imitation to the Human build working.

Minor variances should be acceptable. Nothing states that Human build in WC3 was perfect in the first place. As long as it is close enough to suit your needs it should be fine.

Level 3
Im not really sure what im doing wrong, the build submenu button is grayed out.. could you link the example? I looked at one wc3 remake but they only had orc build style

Level 3
here is what I need: builder creates a foundation on the ground and then stands on the side and works on it. He can leave the building and move on simply by ordering him anywhere else, and can return later. unbuilt buildings can be destroyed by clicking on them and clicking the button. do you think you could help me with that? I have all the appropriate units and actors set up, I believe the problem is in the abilities. Uploaded the map as well

edit: ok, I can now build what I need to. but I need the unit to leave the building when he gets a new order. is there any way to do that?

Attachments

• defense.SC2Map
    185.5 KB · Views: 94

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Im not really sure what im doing wrong, the build submenu button is grayed out..
Corrupted command card XML. Had to delete all command card button listings for the unit and re-add them. The actual problem was with the name of page 2. It must be named "0002" and not the default of "2". The editor cannot cope with anything else when it comes to linking the submenus.

I seem to have achieved the desired effect, including the power build. The building actor seems incorrectly set however, you may wish to look into that.

Attachments

• defense.SC2Map
    112.5 KB · Views: 71

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
what is incorrect about it?
Build ability was not set to be interruptible. The builder command card XML was corrupt. The building buildable ability was not set to support multiple builders. I added some command card buttons for various orders on the builder and building (you might not need try, try removing them if you want). Also made farm take longer to build and disabled melee trigger to allow me to test better. That's about it.

Level 3
i mean the actor sorry :) oh yeah and one more thing that you could maybe help explain... in Warcraft 3 when the peasant builds it "pushes" him to the edge of the building. That's the only thing i'm missing from it at that point.

also, how did the command card XML become corrupt? probably just blizzard?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
i mean the actor sorry :) oh yeah and one more thing that you could maybe help explain... in Warcraft 3 when the peasant builds it "pushes" him to the edge of the building. That's the only thing i'm missing from it at that point.
You really do not need to re-create WC3 mechanics exactly. I personally would have the peasants walk around when building some structures like SCVs do so it looks like they are doing more than hammering the foundation. SC2 has so much more potential than WC3, do not let your imagination be trapped by the bounds of WC3. Just because WC3 did something one way does not mean that is the best way.

also, how did the command card XML become corrupt? probably just blizzard?
Invalid command card ID. Usually caused by improper XML modification (only cause I know).

Level 3
unfortunately it is required to be that way for the gameplay of my game. in the beginning building income buildings fast is required and building buildings that way allows it to be turned into a more of a micro game, where the exact order you build things will leave you with more gold. if it weren't such a huge part of my game, I wouldn't have cared in the first place.

Level 3
Ok I have found a workaround, thanks for your help! However, I am having a problem in that the farm building animation does not complete when it is finished building. It continues playing at normal speed. How do I get the build animation to match up with the build time?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
It continues playing at normal speed. How do I get the build animation to match up with the build time?
SC2 does not support that directly as they use a stage based build animation. I theorize that one could force the animation into certain stages based on progress. This would be done by advancing the animation to certain frames depicting certain stages of progress at certain stages of progress and then looping it within a sub section of the full build animation.

Currently something must be wrong with how your build animation is setup. You need to stop playing the build animation once construction finishes. I tried that and it does not work so I suspect some other animation trickery is in the works (I have a similar problem with a dissipate animation).

Status
Not open for further replies.