• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How would an Ability level itself through upgrades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm trying to make an ability that requires an upgrade to be used, and then you can research it again so the ability will increase in level.

I know there's a way without trigger and because I'm a lazy bastard I'd rather use it.

Thanks for your time!

Level 8
I'm trying to make an ability that requires an upgrade to be used, and then you can research it again so the ability will increase in level.

I know there's a way without trigger and because I'm a lazy bastard I'd rather use it.

Thanks for your time!

Its in unit data. Take like a shaman for example or any spellcaster. They can cast certain spells after you upgrade sumthing. So take 1 of these spells as your base, then change it around. Its not complicated to do. Just read over everything and you should be able to it yourself unless you have no experience in unit data, which is really the easiest but generally the longest section.

Level 38
You can make any ability upgrade with-upgrades :)

Hero spells, item spells, whatever. You don't need to make it work, so your spell options are limitless here. What you want to do is set the "hero ability" and "item ability" data fields to false so the spell is a unit ability. Then set the levels of the ability to however many times you want to upgrade the ability +1 (or the same level if you require an upgrade to use the ability in the first place).

For the upgrade set the upgrade's effect to be an Ability Level Bonus, with an incriment of 1 and a base of 1 (unless you want the upgrade to increase the ability from level 1 to level 3 or 5 XD)

The melee game ability raise dead and upgrade skeletal mastery use this system, so you should check out that ability/upgrade settup to guide you on your way. Becuase the upgrade system uses levels and hero abilities use levels as well, if you turn hero abilities into unit abilities most of your work is cut out for you :)

The only real problem i have run in to is actually upgrading the spell, I've found if I create a unit that increases the level of abilities through upgrades the upgrades can only be accessed if they are owned by the same player wishing to upgrade an ability, so it is impossible to create a sort of "class trainer" that is universally accessable. If you set the upgrade to be researched through a powerup (such as the glyph of fortification) then the powerup will never scale in cost with researches and will be avalible to purchase after the abilitie's level has been maxed out - of course this is only a problem if your map is multiplayer XD

Status
Not open for further replies.