• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to play online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey guys

I played gaias retaliation a few years ago and want to play it on a WAN-Party (not locally due to coronavirus).
I remember hosting on makemehost.com and also other hosting sites. How does it work today? What's the easiest way to host a game for my friends and me?
I'm not even sure if it still works somehow the same way with all this reforged stuff etc. ...

Thanks in advance!
Yako

Level 10
You could host a game via lan on your PC and use a program like hamachi to trick it into thinking your both playing locally

Level 2
Yeah, I remember Hamachi. Didn't work perfectly every time but that's an option.
But it's not that there's any really good hosting site or anything similar?
When I set the slider in reforged to "classic", it's exactly the same as before? Or was there changed something?

khj

khj

Level 2
Hosting via sites is obsolete now. Since one of the patches, the games are hosted on battle.net's servers so you don't have to configure anything to play with others. Just host a custom game and play, it's simple as that.
Classic version doesn't change anything in terms of custom maps or melee, it just changes the looks. However, it does change some campaign missions back to the original ones.

Level 10
to expand: since reforged launched the old warcraft launcher is gone now and everything is on the reforged client now, for better or worse All switching to classic graphics does is make the graphics in game look like the old school graphics, if you have reforged graphics on all the models will be updated with reforged graphics. Since the old launcher is gone it's a bit tricky to figure out how to play lan with the new client as well, but it is doable. Once you are in you must log out of your account at the bottom right and that will send you into offline mode. Once you are in there you can just host a game as normal and it'll host it as a LAN game and that's where hamachi will come into play. Please note though that your bnet name is now associated with your bnet tag so for example I used to go by s0ulseeker on wc3 for the longest time, but since reforged came out my bnet tag was spazgasim so I was forced to switch to spazgasim but the name also assigns some numbers to your name as well like Spazgasim#12345 and you must add those #'s to your name when you host it on lan if you want to be able to play the codes online at all

Status
Not open for further replies.