• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make an additional mpq archieve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
Good time of day!

I have some trouble situation, I want to import an mp3 sounds inside my map, but I realized that with a couple of more models imported, and then by importing a lot of mp3, I will run out of free space of 8 mb wc3 map. So I decited to somehow import a lot of mp3 sounds to my custom mpq arcieve. Is it possible to use custom mpq or not? What stuff do I need to do? Please help me!

Level 12
Good time of day!

I have some trouble situation, I want to import an mp3 sounds inside my map, but I realized that with a couple of more models imported, and then by importing a lot of mp3, I will run out of free space of 8 mb wc3 map. So I decited to somehow import a lot of mp3 sounds to my custom mpq arcieve. Is it possible to use custom mpq or not? What stuff do I need to do? Please help me!

If you allow Local Files in the Registry you can use custom folders which replace the files in the mpq.

This is only a local solution ofc and wont affect other people playing with you.

Level 4
Good time of day!

@Anvil, Who said that you can't create your own custom MPQ files? Well, who ever told you that information might be wrong mate. =)

@JollyD, There are WarCraft Tools that can be used to edit and create MPQ files. The best one, I think for me is the "MPQ Master" tool. I use it and it's quite convenient. Although it's a bit complicated and takes quite some time to learn and use.

It has a bit of bugs, but I'm pretty sure you won't notice it. They're only minor bugs anyways. ;)

I suggest you try and use it. Just download it in the WarCraft Tools forum. I'm pretty sure it's somewhere there. =)

It ain't the end of the world mate. There's still hope to fix your problem. Just ask me if you need anymore help. And I'll be glad to help you, if I can, in any way. =)

Level 28
MPQ Editor is a sweet tool. In my opinion better than MPQ Master (I've been using both for a long time).
There's not much learning to it, it mostly speaks for itself.

Hail Storm said:
Who said that you can't create your own custom MPQ files? Well, who ever told you that information might be wrong mate. =)
It is quite obvious you can create more, but make Warcraft recognize them? I would like to know how to do that as well :p

Also, what kind of bugs?

I do agree with Adiktuz though: keep the imports to a minimum. I always hated it when people just imported music that didn't even fit the map. Like "Oh, I like Evanescence so I'm gonna put some of their music into my map!". Not adding music can sometimes be the more correct decision.
If you're using instrumental music (which can fit Warcraft quite nicely), you can drastically decrease the bitrate of that song to decrease the file size.

Level 4
MPQ Editor is a sweet tool. In my opinion better than MPQ Master (I've been using both for a long time).
There's not much learning to it, it mostly speaks for itself.

It is quite obvious you can create more, but make Warcraft recognize them? I would like to know how to do that as well :p

Also, what kind of bugs?

I do agree with Adiktuz though: keep the imports to a minimum. I always hated it when people just imported music that didn't even fit the map. Like "Oh, I like Evanescence so I'm gonna put some of their music into my map!". Not adding music can sometimes be the more correct decision.
If you're using instrumental music (which can fit Warcraft quite nicely), you can drastically decrease the bitrate of that song to decrease the file size.

@ ap0calypse, I see. Well I haven't tried that "MPQ Editor" yet, but I'm pretty sure I will soon. And yes your right. It does speak for itself that's why it's a quite easy to learn it.

Make WarCraft recognize them? Please do explain. Is that the recognition of the file in the system? Or something else?

Well, there are a few bugs (maybe), like when you create a new MPQ file and place all your files you want in it, and when you add that to the WarCraft game, it doesn't get recognized and your custom MPQ file does not appear in the World Editor along with all the files you placed in it. That's one problem I have.

Another is, when you add custom files into the already available 4 original MPQ files, it isn't recognized by the system and the files do not show up in the game and in the World Editor.

Well, these are the 2 main problems, (possibly bugs) that I encountered in using the "MPQ Master" tool. The others are not much of importance. But if you do like to know, just ask me. =)

Well yeah, as much as possible you got to keep the imports to the most minimum possible in any way to reduce filesize. If your space in the imports is not adequate enough, then just use the MPQ tools to create your own MPQ file and fill it with as much as the files you need to for the game. Although there is a bit of a problem with the system recognizing it, I would like to know how the system can do so. And how that problem can be fixed. Thank you. =)

@JollyD, anytime mate. I'm glad that I was able to help you. =)

Hail Storm

Last edited:
Level 4
I know you can create more mpq files, but Warcraft only recognize the original 4 files names: war3.mpq, war3x.mpq, War3Patch.mpq and War3xlocal.mpq, no others.

@Anvil, Yes, I know. The 4 files are built into the game and that it only recognizes the 4 files. It can however be edited, only by someone special who is a pro and good in programming.

And that is how I intend to make WarCraft III recognize new custom MPQ files so that a map won't have a huge filsize just because of imported resources. =)

*Note: This thread has already been solved. Just as JollyD said that he thanks us for helping. If you want to know more about these matters, just post a new thread about it or ask me in a PM. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.