• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make a grenade spell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Ok, so I'm wondering if theres a way to make a working grenade spell just using the world editor. When I make a spell off of the 'Kaboom!' ability I don't get the desired explosion and the unit dies. Is there a way to just make a simple "grenade-like" spell, with no models needed, but just a explosion + damage in the selected area? Thx.

Last edited:
Level 7
there are cutom gernade spells on The hive you can use, use preexsiting gernade spells like acid bomb, change the projectile arc and projectile speed. and ther are just about a bajillion explosions to choose from here ont he Hive and many bombs as well. you should be covered

Level 8
Make an ability based off channel with point target. Create a dummy on 'target point of ability being cast' that casts thunder clap. Replace thunder clap art with an explosion, set attack rate reduction and speed reduction to 0%.

Level 6
Here is a solution that doesn't need triggers:

EDIT: this method allows you to throw your bombs at points. (AND NOT BECOME HOMING GRENADES THAT SEEK THEIR TARGET UNITS - WHICH DONT EXIST)
EDIT2: After reading the suggestions above, I note that they lack some part of the "throwin a grenade at you".
Acid Bomb HOMES IN on its target... Flame Strike just blows up the ground - it lacks a missile... etc.

The base ability is Pocket Factory.
Change the factory's duration to 0.01.
Change the Projectile Art to whatever you want your grenade to look like.
You can use any unit for a factory; any unit that has a model that has a suitable "death" animation (ex. unit with the Thunder Clap model).
Give the unit the "AoE Damage on Death" ability (see the abilities of the Goblin Land Mine).

What this will do is:
Launch the grenade, which will look like whatever model you specify in Projectile Art of the Pocket Factory-based ability;
Summon the unit when it lands - it will 'live' for only 0.01 seconds and promptly die, displaying its "death" animation (in the example above, thunder clap boom);
and the AoE damage on death ability of the summoned unit will damage enemies around it as it dies.
So: throw the bomb, it explodes, goes boom; people get hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.