• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make a Good Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
hi guys me new at this forum and iam also a noob mapmaker (being it since 3days :p) but all in all iam not so worse i done much in this 3 days :p but now i want to know how to make a quest. my wish is that at begin the unit has a " ? " above his head when u have the quest a " ! " and when done the symbol of unholy frenzy (cloud from necromancer im not sure if its called so in eng :p). but this only btw how i create this quest when a unit die and then i go to the unit who gave me the quest that i finish it or when i have the needed item. would be very nice when u will gimme a site or forum page where i can find it THX THX

Level 4
but tut is really hart to understand :x

and what is your problem with my clan :X

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 9
Yes yes. Read it until your eyes become petrified!

N8-11_GER, my advice is that you keep messing around with the editor, object editor, terrain, units, doodads, go through the triggers every once in awhile, if only just to read them and spend time pondering whatever could they possibly mean.. And just familiarize yourself.

You absolutely CANNOT learn UNLESS you make mistakes. And you can't make mistakes if people mare showing you how to do VERY basic stuff.

There will be no need to tell us of your first frustration, there will be many more.. And we don't want to hear those either!

So familiarize yourself with the words and the logistics (uses, causes, actions) that that words correlate with.

For instance, "collision". Think of cars colliding (crashing) into each other. The outer boundary of the car is the collision size. If we reduce a car's collision size then it will be harder for two cars to crash on a road.
If you apply that to units then they will be able to get closer to each other.

That was only an example.

You need more alone time with the editor to decide if you care enough to figure it out on your own and really get it done. If you can't do anything by yourself then it's likely you'll end up giving up on making maps.

So show us some enthusiasm! It's not hard to find what you're looking for!

Level 4
sry guys
but i dont want to have petrified eyes oO
but yes i know that i have much to read but iam the whole day in skype/ts and asking for many questions and the last way is to ask u. i just try it with the quest but i stack at some points atm it is the end. so i havent much time to read 1000 forums. i also done mistakes not only one there was more

Level 35
sry guys
but i dont want to have petrified eyes oO
but yes i know that i have much to read but iam the whole day in skype/ts and asking for many questions and the last way is to ask u. i just try it with the quest but i stack at some points atm it is the end. so i havent much time to read 1000 forums. i also done mistakes not only one there was more

Note: it is actualy not all of us giving rude answears...

Quest creating is simpel realy:

Updated: Read below

Basic idea:

Something happens (a unit enters a region)
It is the unit enters region event because you can then place that region infront of the unit who shall give the quest.

When a unit enters the region something happens (note it would be an idea to add a condition making sure only some entering unit will trigger the quest, example: triggering unit is A Hero equal to true)

Then you make the quest:

Create an reguired or (optional if thats what you want (it desides if the quest is to the left or the right))

Then write something in it... blabla

(Note: You might want to make some movie entry to the quest or making some talktext on the screen similar)

Then the quest is hmm to find an item

And you then make a trigger with this event = when a unit aquires an item

Condition: something like triggering unit equal to Quest hero (note this is a variable, which you can set when giving the quest: make entering unit equal to Questunit (set variable action))

and this condition: item being manipulated equal to Stone of Wierdos

Action like this:

Update quest trigger (shows quest has been updated)
Change the quest (Note in the trigger where the quest is given the quest should be set to a variable the same way the unit was)
Give reward (lets just say it is gold (change player propaty))
Mark tread as completed

Bingo, your done. (and this should be easy enough to read, any other questions just ask :wsmile:)

Edit: added this map to show how it is done.
Download the map, try it out. Open it in WE or WEU
Just open the trigger menu (f4) and read.

The Map:
http://www.epicwar.com/maps/38328/

Level 35
at baron is in red " REP? " and iam the clan leadder of clan rep :p

Hahha lol... next time try clicking it...

reputation is those green (or blue) diamonds below your avatar / username

You can give +rep if you have above 10 points of rep
You can still give rep if you have below 10 points of rep, but doenst count as +rep. Still shows your thanks though

It is mostly given to those who helps you, or if they made something nice / said something nice.

btw: I hope you understand more about how to create a quest now.

Last edited:
Level 4
just a funny note i searched in we UnitIsInRange but i didnt find. now i know why^^ WE hasnt this funtion^^ i try to open barons map with we but he said he cant databank unitisinrange is missing^^ so i cant open also the map with the normal we :p

Level 35
just a funny note i searched in we UnitIsInRange but i didnt find. now i know why^^ WE hasnt this funtion^^ i try to open barons map with we but he said he cant databank unitisinrange is missing^^ so i cant open also the map with the normal we :p

Get WEU.. it has some nice funcions.... but this can be done without the racce... just use unit is in region.

Level 4
yes but the prob is weu is in eng :p i though to learn it would be better to use the german one^^
but thx for info :p

could you maybe answer my new threat? called "spell damage" would really help me :p

Level 35
Kaitech[SanD];403728 said:
It only works for patch 1.20 and back... We are all on 1.21

The nice thing is: You can chose what patch to run WEU with :wthumbsup:

And WEU have some nice features which can be helpfull. (bad is that you cant import custom sounds though.)

sure I see if I can help... if it havent already been answeared

Last edited:
Level 4
atm only 50% :p

btw at your example u forgott to turn trigger off where u get the quest so u can have the quest 1000000000000000000000 times

Last edited:
Level 17
The nice thing is: You can chose what patach to run WEU with :wthumbsup:

Nasty thing is, it stops at 1.20

atm only 50% :p

btw at your example u forgott to turn trigger off where u get the quest so u can have the quest 1000000000000000000000 times

Mine? I didn't make that tutorial, just so you know :D

Yeah, that's just easy, make an extra trigger so that when they accept the quest it shows like:

Action - Turn off this trigger

Unless your whole quest is in one trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.