• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to launch Flash files without a web browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Here are two ways to launch Flash (= swf) files, without the need to open your web browser.

- use Adobe's official standalone Flash Player projector
- use Irfanview (with plugin extensions installed)

For Adobe, please go to the Adobe Flash Player Support Center.

Here, you will find debug downloads for web browsers, as well as the Flash Player projectors.

Click "Download the Flash Player projector", for the regular Windows version
Click "Download the Flash Player projector content debugger", for the extended Windows version

The debugger version has an additional, useful feature.
Will you try it and find out ?:grin:

Save those files anywhere on your HDD. No installation is required.
Launch the projector once. It should automatically associate with Flash (= swf) files.

Now you can launch any swf file you want directly.

Explore and experiment with the menu options, to suit your tastes.

For IrfanView, please first download and install the software.

Then download and install the additional official plugins.

As of this writing (04/10/2016), current Flash plugin version is 2.2.0.1
It allows to open Flash files up to and including version 9

For those who are impatient and/or unable to find Flash files, or who are afraid of viruses, I provide here for your convenience a link to Rex.'s WIP Flash game Survive Custom: Divergent Conflicts.

It will not load with IrfanView, because it requires a Flash projector >9 at least.

Happy gaming

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Just let me point out that Flash Player has over 700 security vulernabilities and thus should be avoided at alll.
The majority has migrated to HTML5 nowadays.

Thanks Squiggy. CVE Details is indeed a great source of information, and also of personal enjoyment and fun, about software vulnerabilities.

But I kind of fail to get the point, regarding how your informative comment connects to this tutorial.

The sad truth is that *every single byte of code in any kind of program can lead to exploitation*

I kindly invite those curious about it to check US-CERT's most excellent weekly security bulletins. They are very easy to understand. Browse through a few of them, and then flee in terror. :grin:

The only way to mitigate code exploitation properly would be to go back to the 286 memory architecture. And that is *sure* not bound to happen. Security is a comfortable illusion. Updating means nothing (but update your software / firmwares anyway).

Now, this tutorial is about swf files. I know of at least one person who creates games using them (see end of OP). I bet he is not alone.

Code exploitation, leading to memory corruption, does not happen out of the blue. It is triggered by any file which has been specially crafted with such a goal in mind. I voluntarily exclude here unexpected bugs, which can also lead to memory corruption.

Therefore, people have to be sensible about the files they download and run/load using another program. There are dangerous swf files out there, but that can be said about virtually any file.

Adobe's standalone Flash Player projectors are updated in sync with the Flash Player versions suited for your web browser. The projectors are meant to load and execute swf files only. They do not require a browser to run and execute swf files. I personally believe it is kind of safer to run a swf file in a standalone projector, than run it in a web browser.

Regarding Flash files execution in a web browser, I highly recommend to use the "Click to Play" feature in your web browser as a first, crucial step in safe browsing.

Status
Not open for further replies.