• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to give a hero ability to a spell book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I know how to make spell book (just did it )but can't give a hero ability to it can some one tell me how to do it ?i want to use it in campaign so it must be level up just like the original game don't want to lvl up abilities with triggers .
note :i am new and don't know coding just triggers
sorry about bad English
Edit :and the spell book must not be an item

Last edited:

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
If you can't add a hero ability to the spell book, why do you insist to know how to add it? It clearly says "Unit" and "Item" when you are adding abilities to the spell book...
Abilities in a spell book can't be leveled with the original mechanic by pressing "Hero Abilitis" button. You will need triggers for this.
If you're new to the editor then I would suggest you not to jump into a project right of the bat if you don't have the basic knowledge about how stuff works. You should firstly mess around in the editor, and try to check and understand the stuff as max as possible.

Level 8
I know how to make spell book (just did it )but can't give a hero ability to it can some one tell me how to do it ?i want to use it in campaign so it must be level up just like the original game don't want to lvl up abilities with triggers .
note :i am new and don't know coding just triggers
sorry about bad English
Edit :and the spell book must not be an item
It'd be extremely complicated to bend and twist the hero skill leveling system to adjust the spells in a spellbook using dummy spells (or whatever way this could be done).
Honestly, it, sounds like you're way off in the deep end here, with editor experience at a point where you are still figuring out the basics.

I'd recommend that you rethink how you want this to work, and then maybe find someone to help you. Alternatively, you adjust your expectations to be way lower and find a way to work with that.

If you want this to work, you would need to settle on a simple leveling mechanic for the spells in the spellbook. The easiest way I can think of, is to level up all of the spells in the spellbook every time that the hero levels up, but this is already some fairly difficult trigger programming.

But on another note. Units can have 7 spells shown in the standard UI. Do you really need more than 7 spells per unit in your rpg map? If some of them are passive, you could always hide them, and add their effect to the description of an actively used spell, leaving you with 7 slots for actively used spells. That's more than Diablo 3.

Level 3
It'd be extremely complicated to bend and twist the hero skill leveling system to adjust the spells in a spellbook using dummy spells (or whatever way this could be done).
Honestly, it, sounds like you're way off in the deep end here, with editor experience at a point where you are still figuring out the basics.

I'd recommend that you rethink how you want this to work, and then maybe find someone to help you. Alternatively, you adjust your expectations to be way lower and find a way to work with that.

If you want this to work, you would need to settle on a simple leveling mechanic for the spells in the spellbook. The easiest way I can think of, is to level up all of the spells in the spellbook every time that the hero levels up, but this is already some fairly difficult trigger programming.

But on another note. Units can have 7 spells shown in the standard UI. Do you really need more than 7 spells per unit in your rpg map? If some of them are passive, you could always hide them, and add their effect to the description of an actively used spell, leaving you with 7 slots for actively used spells. That's more than Diablo 3.
thanx for answer
I already working on this system can you see if it have problem or not(if it have please tell how to fix it ) :
#1.1 for any abilities which is going to be in spellbook will create 2 ability 1 is unit ability and real and another 1 is hero ability and dummy .
#1.2 dummy hero abilities have position X:999 y:999 so they will hide if hero already got enough abilities
#2 It is unable to give more then 5 hero abilities to a hero will give all hero abilities with trigger+1 real ability to hide dummies ( can be passive or auto cast)
#3 Any time player upgrades dummy "X" ability the real "X" ability will lvlup

I think it works (working on it now) but will tell you it did or no after some hour.
sorry if there is a spelling error etc.

Level 3
thanx for answer
I already working on this system can you see if it have problem or not(if it have please tell how to fix it ) :
#1.1 for any abilities which is going to be in spellbook will create 2 ability 1 is unit ability and real and another 1 is hero ability and dummy .
#1.2 dummy hero abilities have position X:999 y:999 so they will hide if hero already got enough abilities
#2 It is unable to give more then 5 hero abilities to a hero will give all hero abilities with trigger+1 real ability to hide dummies ( can be passive or auto cast)
#3 Any time player upgrades dummy "X" ability the real "X" ability will lvlup

I think it works (working on it now) but will tell you it did or no after some hour.
sorry if there is a spelling error etc.
It didn't worked like that but i did a lot changes and it worked :
I made it just for 1 spell (flame strike) because i didn't have time
but it can get more (11 per spell book):

#1 made another spell book and named it learning book.
#2 made 1 half dummy ability (based on thunder clap) named it " learn or level up flame strike"
#3 put "learn flame strike"in learning book
#4 did these triggers ( still have work)
:cool:
upload_2019-6-16_21-27-32.png
upload_2019-6-16_21-28-49.png
upload_2019-6-16_21-30-33.png
upload_2019-6-16_21-30-46.png
upload_2019-6-16_21-31-4.png

It worked and i even make some abilities spend 2 skill points or need time to learn but have a problem :
- i don't think it works on campaigns because i hide a abilities in start of the map ;i think i have to use variables but i don't know how .( don't mean i don't know to use variables Basically)
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
thank you for reading this

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-16_21-29-27.png
    upload_2019-6-16_21-29-27.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 37
  • upload_2019-6-16_21-29-46.png
    upload_2019-6-16_21-29-46.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.