• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] How to calculate angle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
hey,

this is probably a simple equation, but I have not touched geometry or trig for years, and haven't been able to find an explanation in terms I am familiar with enough to use in warcraft...

basically I need to solve for D:

angle.jpg

I want to be able to find the angle that is the middle of the angle from unit a to the other two units. using the angles from A to B and C is tricky bc I have found the angles in the game only go to 180, and I don't know where it crosses back over.

(my end goal is to make a unit run away from two other units, so I want to find the angle that will get him furthest away from both simultaneously.. so I will invert the result... )

how do I get angle D?

thanks!

EDIT: if I measure the distance between the 3 units to find the length of the triangle and use sine to find the objective angle, and the split that in half - that should be the objective angle I need, but how do I apply that to the unit's subjective angle (the on accessible in triggers)?

I could add or subtract that to the relative angle from a to b or from a to c, but how would i know if I need to add or subtract it?

Last edited:
Level 24
Ok after think about this, if I have the lines AB and AC and its inclination angles (the angle between the straight line the you formed with that points and the x-axis) b and c, that you get with the BJ function "AngleBetweenPoints", if you don't wanna use it calculate it manually:
  • To get the inclination angle b for example of AB you have (x1,y1) the point A and (x2,y2) the point B so: b=atan((y2-y1)/(x2-x1))
If I call d the inclination angle of AD (I think this is you wanna), the angles comply with b+180-c+2d=180 (obvious in degrees) for all values so the value of d would be: d=(360-b+c)/2

I'm not sure if I'm correct, pls let me know

Edit: no I'm wrong, the angle d is not the inclination angle of the line AD, is the angle between AD and AB or AC, to get the real inclination angle I think you have to add d the less value between b and c.

Last edited:
Level 21
to get the real inclination angle I think you have to add d the less value between b and c.

if line DA is on or near 0 of the x axis, wont adding the value of the angle go to 1.5 instead of 0.5? (instead of going to the middle it will go a wider angle by D amount). I don't get how not to have this problem when dealing with an unknown relation to the x angle which "AngleBetweenPoints" uses...

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
something like this?
  • get angle
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) skips a cinematic sequence
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet reals[0] = (Angle from (Position of Paladin 0003 <gen>) to (Position of Footman 0000 <gen>))
      • Set VariableSet reals[1] = (Angle from (Position of Paladin 0003 <gen>) to (Position of Footman 0001 <gen>))
      • Set VariableSet reals[2] = (reals[0] + reals[1])
      • Set VariableSet reals[3] = (reals[2] / 2.00)
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: (String(reals[0]))
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: (String(reals[1]))
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: (String(reals[2]))
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: (String(reals[3]))
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of Paladin 0003 <gen>) offset by 100.00 towards reals[3] degrees.) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\AbsorbMana\AbsorbManaBirthMissile.mdl
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of Paladin 0003 <gen>) offset by 200.00 towards reals[3] degrees.) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\AbsorbMana\AbsorbManaBirthMissile.mdl
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of Paladin 0003 <gen>) offset by 300.00 towards reals[3] degrees.) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\AbsorbMana\AbsorbManaBirthMissile.mdl
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of Paladin 0003 <gen>) offset by 400.00 towards reals[3] degrees.) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\AbsorbMana\AbsorbManaBirthMissile.mdl
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of Paladin 0003 <gen>) offset by 500.00 towards reals[3] degrees.) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\AbsorbMana\AbsorbManaBirthMissile.mdl
not sure if it always works but it seemed to work fine for me.

Attachments

• angle.w3m
    16.6 KB · Views: 12
Level 24
if line DA is on or near 0 of the x axis, wont adding the value of the angle go to 1.5 instead of 0.5? (instead of going to the middle it will go a wider angle by D amount). I don't get how not to have this problem when dealing with an unknown relation to the x angle which "AngleBetweenPoints" uses...
What?
something like this?
  • get angle
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet reals[0] = (Angle from (Position of Paladin 0003 <gen>) to (Position of Footman 0000 <gen>))
      • Set VariableSet reals[1] = (Angle from (Position of Paladin 0003 <gen>) to (Position of Footman 0001 <gen>))
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: (String(reals[0]))
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: (String(reals[1]))
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: (String(reals[2]))
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: (String(reals[3]))
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of Paladin 0003 <gen>) offset by 100.00 towards reals[3] degrees.) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\AbsorbMana\AbsorbManaBirthMissile.mdl
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of Paladin 0003 <gen>) offset by 200.00 towards reals[3] degrees.) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\AbsorbMana\AbsorbManaBirthMissile.mdl
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of Paladin 0003 <gen>) offset by 300.00 towards reals[3] degrees.) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\AbsorbMana\AbsorbManaBirthMissile.mdl
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of Paladin 0003 <gen>) offset by 400.00 towards reals[3] degrees.) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\AbsorbMana\AbsorbManaBirthMissile.mdl
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of Paladin 0003 <gen>) offset by 500.00 towards reals[3] degrees.) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\AbsorbMana\AbsorbManaBirthMissile.mdl
At the end, you can just got the avearage of both of the angles.

Level 21
something like this?
  • get angle
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions

Haven't tried it yet but i assume this works... and of course it's way simpler than the ridiculous stuff I was trying...

I still don't get how it works though... when you do this :" (Angle from (Position of Paladin 0003 <gen>) to (Position of Footman 0000 <gen>))"
what angle is it measuring? the angle between this line and what? the x axis? bc I tried testing and printing this (the anggle between two units) while walking around another unit, and I'm prettty sure I always got positive values between 0 and 180. so I assume it crosses back over in the middle. If that is accurate I don't get how finding the avg between them helps: lets say angle D is the x axis - that should take the avg between lets say, 40 and 40 and give me back 40...

So I'm guessing it either prints the absolute value of the angle, or I just didn't notice the critical " - ". That makes everything make sense... thanks!

Level 2
vector u(xB-xA;yB-yA)=(a1;b1)
vector v(xC-xA;yC-yA)=(a2;b2)
Cos(CAB)=Cos(u,v)=(Abs(a1*a2+b1*b2))/(sqrt(a1^2+b1^2)*sqrt(a2^2+b2^2))

Status
Not open for further replies.