• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

how to attach weapons to models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
sorry if this has been gone over, but i wanted to know, how do i attach a weapon to a model?

i have tried in triggers "event" pick every unit in (unit group= unit i want to add weapon to) and then "action" create a special effect attached to the (not sure if i should be typing 'hand left,' handleft,' left hand,' or 'lefthand' here) of (matching unit) using (filepath of imported weapon here).

now my questions are several. are there any models for which i may not attach weapons? may i only attach imported weapon models to imported models or for pre-existing standard blizzard models also? will a special effect attached weapon not work if a model already carries a weapon? when i attach a weapon using special effect will it stil have it if it dies and then resurrects or will i need to create another trigger to give it the weapon again?

if anyone cares, i wanted basically to replace the satyr soulstealer model's weapon b/c his is retarded looking, imo. but having lots of trouble. i find it a little difficult to believe i could replace his weapon tho, since weapon is in the blp how do you just make it go away and put another weapon in its place? but i remember the cinema of arthas taking up frostmourne, and he just dropped the hammer...not sure how the weapon included in the blp can just be made to go away like that. i can't seem to find the blp of "frostmourne" arthas either, although i guess that's a question for a different forum.

anyway, any help appreciated, thanks..

Level 21
First,

- Units with weapons cannot be removed with triggers, but only by alpha out.
- Units with weapons can still have more attached weapon models you imported, so you can still a attach a sword to the footman.
- A unit's weapon cannot be replaced with anything (if the weapon as already on the model)
- If you attached a weapon model you imported to a unit and you want to remove it at a certain point, its possible as you can use " destroy special effects " trigger
- You can attach weapon models to models which aren't blizzard's or blizzard's
- You can attach weapon models which are blizzard's are vice versa.

Second

To add a weapon to a unit:

Events
A unit enters (everywhere) < thats the region

Conditions
Unit type of entering unit equal to (your unit which needs the weapon attached to it)

Actions
Special effects - attach bnlademastersword to the left hand of entering unit.

Hope this helps :D

Level 1
sopho, I've tried that trigger like you said, and I made the word 'overhead' 'left hand' is that correct?

Level 4
sweet sopho, thank you very much, that covered just about everything =)

too bad about the weapons though, interchangeable weaponry would be a cool feature in the world editor!

seriously, warcraft 3's world editor is sooo close to being "the all purpose for everyone program for making whatever-kinda-game-you-want," if ye ask me. too bad they don't support it. could make a ton of money off it as a stand alone product...

Level 21
These are the special effect attachments for attaching imported weapon models or art effects:

Head - When attached the model or art will stay on the unit's head, swaying as the unit's head moves. (You may not be able to see its face)

Overhead - When attachd the model or art it will be ontop of the unit's head. It won't sway or move as the unit's head moves though.

Left hand - When attached the model or art it will be on the unit's left hand. The art of weapon will move as the unit moves it.

Right hand - When attached the model or art it will be on the unit's right hand. The art of weapon will move as the unit moves it.

Chest - When attached the model or art the it will be on the unit's chest. The art or weaon won't really sway as the unit bends or moves. (in the middle)

Origin - When attached the model or art it will be on the unit's bottom. The art or model does sway as the unit moves.

Buildings also have special effect attachment points :)

Level 2
me i dont understand.
if u want to make a unit with a different weapon do u need to make another imported unit?
I dont understand how the editor understand which weapon is for which unit..

Can u copy the tuto of model's import to explain me?
thanks for all answers...

Level 2
yeah... :lol:
of course... :lol:
But do u know the tuto with PraetorianGoblin? (It is the tuto to import new models)
How can I change his sword?

Level 1
Hey sopho,

Really really thanks
I'm going to try it out now :)

by the way do you know how to remove a units weapon?? (the original weapon)

Really thanks if you tell that to :p

Saigon

Level 1
Sopho do you know how to get errors out of maps??

I'm having trouble I get errors all the time I import things :S plz help me!!

Level 2
cata said:
too bad about the weapons though, interchangeable weaponry would be a cool feature in the world editor!

A guy I know is making a game called Shadow Ops 1.3. The map should be going public soon, and in it there's interchangable weaponry. If you want, I could ask him how he did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.