• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] How to add a ability to a heros levelable abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi Folks,

I'm making a custom skills map where the player picks 4 basic abilities from shops then an ultimate
I currently have a system where each hero has the same skills called Ability A - D and Ultimate
When the hero selects those skills after leveling it gives them the correct skill they picked at the start of the game from a stored variable using a trigger that detects leveling the skill Ability A - D the only problem is there is no specific text or icon to remind the player what skill they are leveling for each of these generics

I was under the impression that this was the most advanced it could be done with generic skills but after playing LOD it seems we can have generic skills added to any hero and have the correct icon and text visible to them in the level up menu

Does anyone know how this was accomplished please?
Or even if someone knows the code to set an ability to be visible for the hero in the level up menu I can set it there and remove the 5 generic skills from all heroes

Ive already tried working this out and searching on the forums and checking some of the ability systems out and none seem to have this functionality at least in the ones I found

Ive tried setting the chosen abilities onto the units and making them permanent, that gives them the ability but its not visible in the Hero Abilities area when they level up

If anyone has any ideas i would be grateful

Thanks

Last edited:
Level 3
Thank you that post was perfect I have successfully changed the skills system to use this now :).

There was an example map added by Halo7568 which was perfect for showing how to implement it correctly

This post is solved I cant seem to mark it that way though does a mod need to do this?
Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.