• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How does Disease Cloud Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I'm trying to make an ability that works the following way:
Heroe targets an enemy unit
Enemy unit gains ability based on disease cloud, that affects irself and other nearby units.

Everything is fine up to this point... but the damage dealt is multiplying itself for no reason. I set the damage to 2 per second, and that's what it does... but then it starts to stack onto itself, it does 2, 4, 6, 8 etc. (up to 30 or 40 before the hp emptied and the unit remained at 2hp)

The trigger has nothing to do with the damage itself, it only adds the "Disease Cloud" ability. I only changed the damage, duration, and allowed targets in the object editor. As far as I know the default ability does not stack like this. Anybody encountered this problem before? It's probably something really dumb, but I can't think of any way in which I could've broken the ability.

EDIT: Apparently it damages just by standing next to the source but that still doesn't add up to infinity, does it?

EDIT2: I've been googling a bit more and It appears to stack when you use a custom buff. That is kinda weird. I'll leave the topic up in case there's a solution for using a custom buff.

Last edited:
Level 4
Post your map, I'm curious to see exactly what you mean. Or tell me how to reproduce it.
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I edited the post to say that I found the problem. The map is not in English (yet, I'll translate it once it's finished) so updating it may not really help that much haha.

How to reproduce this "bug":
1. Create an custom ability based on Abomination's Disease Cloud.
2. Create a Buff based on Diseasen and replace the original disease buff in your custom ability with this one.
3. Just put a unit with this ability close to units that can be affected by it (easiest way is to allow friendly units as targets, as they won't attack and you can monitor their HP easily)

Apparently, when using a custom buff, Disease will stack, so if it's supposed to deal 2 damage points per second, it will add the buff and deal the damage once, and then after a couple of seconds it will add it again making it 2+2, a few seconds will pass again making it 2+2+2... etc. Basically the ability stacks with itself, dealing more and more damage (so it starts as 2 dps but after 20 seconds it can reach 40dps)

The problem is solved using the default buff. I guess the ability is coded in a way that just checks for the default buff and if it isn't there just applies itself, then checks again. I'll still leave this post as unsolved because I would really prefer to use a custom buff, for aesthetic purposes, but I can live without it and the map is not going to be broken without it.

Level 4
It is an altered melée, I still use aboms and meat wagons with their original abilities, so I need to keep it. It's not that big of a deal, the description of the buff fits, and the effect works for the spell and the hero casting it, the icon is the only thing that looks a bit weird, but even Blizzard reused some icons for buffs in the original game (Flamestrike/Burning Oil) so it won't look TOO bad, so there's that.

Thank you for your help anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.