• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

how do i make my own skin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
1. Export skin from war3.mpq or war3x.mpq located in your\Warcraft III folder. Use Image extractor II or wc3 viewer.

2. Get a paint program. Most are not free but the gimp is www.gimp.org
I recommend photoshop or paint shop pro

3. Open the skin with it.

4. Work on the skin

5. Save the skin

6. convert the skin with wc3 viewer to .blp

7. Import and add the path.

8. Its done. The skin automatically applies itself to the model.

Level 4
more detailed for you

Introduction

------------------------------------------------
We all want to create skins. But how to do this? And how to insert them on your map? Find the answers here!

Tools Needed/Recommended

You will need those tools to create skins:

-Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.
-PhotoShop 6.0 [or later].
You can also use Paint Shop Pro 7.0 [or later], but PhotoShop is easier to use.
Use Wc3 File Converter if you don' t get Wc3 Viewer.

I recommend you use one of those tools to extract your skin:

-Wc3 Viewer [highly recommended].
-Wc3 Image Extractor II.
Wc3 Viewer is able to convert .Tga, .Jpg, .Bmp to .Blp, the Wc3 skin file. I recommend you use it instead of Wc3 Image Extractor II.
Or you can use Wc3 File Converter.

All the tools I told you about can be found later on on this site in the "Tools" section, except for Paint Shop Pro and Adobe PhotoShop. www.adobe.com .

Getting Started

Are you ready now to make your first skin? Okay then, Open either Wc3 Viewer or Wc3 Image Extractor II. With Wc3 Viewer, check the box that indicates "BLP". Choose the skin that you like. It will either be in the "Textures" section or in the "Units" section. For example, if I want the Frost Wyrm skin, I' ll go in "Units>Undead>FrostWyrm>FrostWyrm.Blp". Memorize where you found your file, because it will be used to import it on your map. If you used Wc3 Image Extractor II, it only shows .Blp files, you don' t need anything else, just find your skin. When you found the skin you want, for Wc3 Image Extractor II, go in "Save". Save your skin as .Tga. If you use Wc3 Viewer, go in "File>Save As". You must save it as a .Tga. Now, close or minimize your image extractor program, then open PhotoShop or Paint Shop Pro, depending on which one you chose. PhotoShop is highly recommended, as it is much more easier to use. Now, open your skin you saved. You should' ve saved it in a folder you would remember easily. Your skin is in two dimension, as it is only a painted cover inserted on a Wc3 model. Now, use the "Polygonal Lasso" option. It is located on the toolbar, to your left. Right-click on the "Lasso" tool, then select "Polygonal Lasso". Use it to circle one part of your skin, for example, the tail. Now, select the "Paint Brush" tool. Select "Saturation" on the Paint Brushoptions, located next to the "File, Edit..." menus. Choose a color on the color bar to your right. Paint the part of the skin with your chosen color, then when finished painting it, you can color all of the other parts of the skin, using polygonal lasso and paint brush. Why use polygonal lasso when you can paint over that black surface that just doesn' t change anything? Well, tell yourself that in that black surface, alpha channels are often located there. What are they? They are where the player colors are inserted. For example, a big hole on a dragon' s head is an alpha channel, as you don' t see any hole on the unit' s head. Watch out for those. After you' re finished painting your skin, just save it in "File>Save As" .Tga. Now, open Wc3 Viewer, or if you didn' t download it, just open Wc3 File Converter. In Wc3 Viewer, go in "Convert>.Tga, .Bmp, .Jpg>.Blp". Choose your skin, then save it as .Blp with that converting option, give it the name you want. Okay, if using Wc3 File Converter, go in "Open .Tga", open your skin, then click "Convert". Good, now you can close those.

Importing Your Skins Into Your Map

Open Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne' s World Editor, open the Import Manager, then Import you file. Now, if you memorized where you found your skin, double-click on you skin, check the box labelled "Use custom path", then write the path. For example, the path for the Frost Wyrm is "Units\Undead\FrostWyrm\FrostWyrm.Blp". If you don' t remember, find your skin again in one of the image extractors. Write the exact path of the skin, or it won' t work. Now, save your map, close World Editor, then re-open it again. Open your map, and now, when you choose for example, the Frost Wyrm, it will have your edited skin. My first skin, the Gold Wyrm, is on the "Downloads" section of this site, if a Frost Wyrm skin. Then when I chose the Frost Wyrm on the "Units Palette", my skin was on the unit.

F.A.Q
-Huh? My skin is all black in World Editor! What happened?!
You just painted over the alpha channels. Restart your skin again, watch out next time.

-Hum, the unit hasn' t changed in World Editor. My skin isn' t there!
Make sure you input the correct path. Look in the image extractor program again.

-When I look in the Object Editor, there' s "Art-Model, Art-Icon...", but there' s no box for the skin!
The way the skin is, is that it' s a warp for a model. By writing the correct path, you override Wc3' s original skin for the unit. The unit will not have another skin than the one that has its correct path.

I will add more answers to the F.A.Q if you need more information.

This tutorial isnt mine, it was submitted to me on my forums by Samurai-X_Ryu( I cant remember what he goes by here)

Level 13
What do you mean, add a path? You want the skin to have a path?

Skins do not have paths, models have them. In other words, in a model there is a part that refers to where the skin is located on your computer. So, if you would have a Footman model, it looks in the war3.mpq archive and finds a file Textures and inside it it looks for a file named Footman.blp. The World Editor has a specific order in to look for files. First it looks in the map itself, and then it looks in the MPQ archive. So, when you run your map that contains a footamn model placed somewhere, first it looks into the map for a footman.blp file in a Textures folder, and if it isn't there it looks in the MPQ archive. Thats why you are able to import skins into a map.

Level 13
Cba81 said:
well i made a skin and its for the paladin that has black hair well i tried to put in path
Units\Human\Heropaladinboss\Heropaladinboss

and it dose not work plz help me

You can't write another path for the paladin skin. The path has to be the same like the skin you edited, so you need the path for the normal paladin skin. If you wanna use both skins, read oz02's tutorial about how to use more then one skin for a model (tutorial-forum).

Status
Not open for further replies.