• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do I go about animating this with WC3 Animations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Ok. So on the next step on my journey, I have this model
upload_2018-9-9_3-17-33-png.306278

I want to animate it with Demonhunter model movements. How do I go about doing that? The only animation software I have atm is blender, I'd imagine it would be simple if I could just link key points to the model. There has to be an easier way, cause Blender is quite taxing on my brain at the moment.

Level 14
Ok. So on the next step on my journey, I have this model
I want to animate it with Demonhunter model movements. How do I go about doing that? The only animation software I have atm is blender, I'd imagine it would be simple if I could just link key points to the model. There has to be an easier way, cause Blender is quite taxing on my brain at the moment.
Well necroing this but if you are still around it may help you. I found fully successfull way to get wc3 models with animations to Blender. You need 3ds max, prefferably 2010 or best 2011 version, but Gmax will do(simplier and free version of 3ds max also a bit ancient from xp era). To get gmax you need to go here and then register is here. For 3ds max i think that rules dont really allow me to tell you what to do but you prolly know xD. Gmax is faster and easier for all intends and purposes.

Now 2nd thing you need to have NeoDex - get it from this thread NeoDex 2.7 Wc3 Modeling Kit for 3dsmax & GMAX
It has a readme with tutorial of what to do. Then once you open gmax with it, go to maxscript and runscript, you kind of need to wobble with it few times on gmax, cuz it kind of bugs, 3ds max will work fine, gmax needs some retries and restarts but you must be careful to not activate it like several times because it will create copies of its menue on the toolbar xD

After all this, just roll down the NeoDex menu and import wc3 model of your choice. It will do its thing and get you model with everything intact, maybe some ref attachement points getting a bit broken but that can be easily fixed in mdlvis and magos or other dedicated editors we have.

Once you have model imported save the project as max file, not for convertion but to have a file to fall back to so you dont need to reimport it. And Export it as Collada(.dae) file, not FBX and not anything else - just collada. Then import Collada file to Blender and....done you have model with all animations. You will need to rig it there but you got the animations in. Then to convert it back export as collada again and import to gmax/3ds max and then from there with neodex to mdx, if all went well you should have it working and well just up for minor fixing. If you encounter problems with exports you may have a light source in there in 3ds max in imported mdx file, just select it and delete it and it should export just fine to MDX.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.