• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do I fix floating footprints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
A model that I'm working on has footprints and blood splats that seem to hang in the air. How do I bring them back down to earth? I thought I might be able to fix this by changing some values in the mdl event objects, but I can find no such values. Anyone know how this works? I'd also would like a more detailed guide to the mdl format if anyone can point me in the right direction. Its been rough trying to figure some of this stuff out by trail an error. Thanks in advance.

Level 8
Footprints are not embedded fully in the model. Consider a simple model, BoltImpact.MDX, the sound it uses is an "Event Object" which is essentially a note that tells WC3 to play a sound at a specific point in a units animation. Convert BoltImpact.MDX to an MDL file. At the very bottom of the MDL file you'll see this:
EventObject "SNDXAOLB" {
ObjectId 29,
EventTrack 1 {
}
Sound objects use SND as the prefix. If you delete this block of the MDL you would effectively be deleting the queue for the sound, and it wont play.

How does this apply to footprints? Footprints use the same event queues as sounds, but their prefix is FPT. So find in the EVENTOBJECT block anything with FPTX???? and delete them, convert it back to MDX and you will in theory have stopped the unit from creating footprints.

Also, I think that flagging a units Movement Type in the WE as Hover or Float or Fly or whatever it is negates footprint Event Objects. Try that first.

The guts, bloodsplatters, etc... are truely embedded in the model. I dont think MDL modeling will allow you to remove them. You can in theory prevent this by making the unit leave no corpse. You could do this by flagging it as "Doent decay, unraisable." In the WE. Thats not the exact wording the WE uses, but its similar.

Hope this works.[/b]

Level 7
Thanks for the input. I thought this might be the case. Simply getting rid of them though is my last option. I may have to go that way for now though. Is there no way to keep the existing footprints - but just have them lower on a Z cordinate or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.