• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How can I make DOTA witchcraft? (Spell that upgrades others)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Basically If I have a hero with 4 hero abilities and I want 1 of them an ability that upgrades the others how could I do this.

I.e. reduce cooldown/manacost, increase range damage etc.

I thought of an easy way or so I thought.

My abilities have 4 levels, but I give them 20 levels.
I make level
1-5 (level1)
6-10 (level2)
11-15 (level3)
16-20 (level4)

The hero level at basic level's from 1-4 would be
lvl1
lvl6
lvl11
lvl16

The levels in between are the upgraded versions of the same level
So level2-5 is level1 with upgrades from the "witchcraft" ability.

So when the hero learns a level I set a trigger to automatically add an extra 4 level.
When he learns a level in the ability that strengthens the ability I add +1 to all his other abilities.

This way when you learn the "witchcraft" ability it can be made to improve all the otheres.

However I came across a problem.

There's a good chance the hero ability will be set higher than the hero himself causing problems.
Any solutions

-------

I then thought well, i'll split each ability into 2. a hero ability simply level 1-4 and also a normal ability level 1-20.

I hide the hero ability when he learns it and simply add the normal ability and set it to the appropiate level.

Problem> How can I hide the hero ability so it doesnt appear? But still keep it so he can research levels in it.

I hope ppl are able to understand my description of what I'm trying to do?
Maybe there's an easier way to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.